Rightscorp Offered Cox A Cut Of Piracy Settlements

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's nice to know that Cox wouldn't allow Rightscorp to threaten and extort its customers, even for a cut of the "settlements."

Rightscorp, the piracy monetization company that works with Warner Bros. and other prominent copyright holders, goes to great lengths to reach allegedly pirating subscribers. The company offered Cox Communications a cut of the piracy settlements if they agreed to forward their notices, the ISP revealed in court.

Racketeering anyone? Cox needs to go for the RICO act against them at this point.

Racketeering anyone? Cox needs to go for the RICO act against them at this point.

I don't see how a court could not say there's collusion between rightscorp and any ISP that signs that agreement. Shut em down and gut em like a fish.

Anyone else notice that Cox rarely has negative press and often has positive press?

Wow, that's a lot different than Google's action of providing an automated system by which Rightscorp can levy fines and extort money directly from Google Fiber customers. Google is downright shameful.

Anyone else notice that Cox rarely has negative press and often has positive press?

That's because they don't suck ass like most cable companies. They aren't perfect, but all of their failings seem to be that of any normal large company. Over all they run things well and don't treat their customers like shit. Their policies seem to be reasonable, etc, etc.

For example some years back a tech publication asked a lot of large ISPs some simple questions about customer info and privacy. Things like "How long do you keep DHCP logs," and "Who has access to account data?" Nothing hard. Of all the ISPs, only Cox was willing to answer all the questions and their answer was clear in all cases.

Or as another example they have data caps, though they are quite generous (2TB/month on their top package) but they are soft caps. No charges for overages, no cutoff, they just call you and pester you to upgrade to a bigger package.

In general they treat their customers well, which translates to little to no bad press.

Where I live Cox and Comcast serve different areas of the city and the difference between them is so striking it influenced where I would consider buying a house.

I thought Cox had quite a bit of bad press... at least a long while ago. I haven't heard anything recent, but I don't tend to look for it either.

url=http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040659453&postcount=1] I got my issues [/url] with them, but as a whole, there is no other ISP in town i would consider. Bought my house making sure i would be in their service area and not Time Warners.

I thought Cox had quite a bit of bad press... at least a long while ago. I haven't heard anything recent, but I don't tend to look for it either.

I guess I mean in the past few years. I know that 10 years ago they were in cahoots with AT&T in LA in an attempt to stop Lafayette from deploying a municipal FTTH network, but since then, I've seen little negative press. Their prices are cheaper than most other cable providers (and they seem to charge the same rates across markets).

I still believe that Municipal Fiber is a good thing (over all), but I'd be less worried if my provider was Cox

Back