iPhone Crashes Simply by Receiving A Text Message

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to wonder how this was discovered?

Sending the string of characters to an iPhone results in an immediate respring, causing an iPhone to crash and quickly reboot. From there, if the Messages app was opened at a list view, the Messages app crashes automatically when you try to open it. If it was opened to the conversation where you received the message, the app will open, but attempting to go to another conversation causes Messages to crash.

Last edited:
this is very old news. My g/f's youngest figured this out a year or two ago and thought it would be funny to send me a text with a string of unicode characters that would crash the messages app. The only way that I could get back into the app (since it automatically loads the last message you had open) was to have someone else text me. I was actually fairly impressed, but he still got grounded lol

Reading the work-arounds is hilarious. "Send a text to yourself or tell Siri to send a text to yourself."

Well I think this might be old news, because I just tried texting that to a co-worker and nothing happened.

this is very old news. My g/f's youngest figured this out a year or two ago and thought it would be funny to send me a text with a string of unicode characters that would crash the messages app. The only way that I could get back into the app (since it automatically loads the last message you had open) was to have someone else text me. I was actually fairly impressed, but he still got grounded lol

that was the old one that just crashed the app, this one reboots the phone and crashes the app.

Well I think this might be old news, because I just tried texting that to a co-worker and nothing happened.

Based on the article I read, it said it has to be coming from an iPhone as well. I also think you have to make sure the notification actually displays the message. This is an issue with the notification system.

We tried to replicate it here at work, but were unable to crash an iphone with that string.

Apple probably filtered it on the back-end since people have been abusing it.

I guess people discovered the first step of the 2 step process for anyone to take over your phone :cool:

Back