SSD for page file

LM3

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there any info available for using a small SSD for the page file?

I just loaded up on RAM and turned the page file off. No problemos. There's probably a good reason why this is a bad idea i'm sure someone will point out shortly. I just didn't like the idea of my SSDs being written to all the time with transient data.

The rule of "if you are paging, get more ram" will help you immensely. While you can put your page file on an SSD..... there isn't any real performance gain. Personally, I'd recommend on using a smaller SSD for your OS (120GB SSDs are under $50, if you find the right sale) and using a 1TB or higher rotating drive for your programs / storage / page file. (2TB HD's can be found for around $50, if you watch the sales)

Are you referring to general pageing file, or for a specific piece of software? I agree with putting in more memory and setting your page file to something like 512MB (just in case something needs it due to bad programming). Works real well.

just let windows manage it on your os ssd....unless your very low on space it doesn't hurt anything....if you have a spare ssd i guess it wouldn't hurt since it can write to both drives at same time if needed

Better off having more RAM and making a RAMdisk :p
I know some people would argue against that but...watever..
a RAM pagefile is not wearing out your ssd.

SSDs made in the past few years are not delicate flowers and you should not be worried about putting pagefiles on them or wearing them out. An endurance test on an 840 Pro wrote 2.4 PB before it failed; 1000 GB = 1 TB, 1000 TB = 1 PB, so we're talking 2.4 million GB. Currently, an endurance test on the Samsung 850 Pro has written 2 PB before seeing its first reallocated sectors (which began at 600 TB on the 840 Pro).

I'm a reasonably ordinary home user with the page file on my SSD, and so far the SSD has had almost 2 TB written to it in two years. This SSD would outlast me except that it will become obsolete first.

More ram! I haven't had pagefile enabled since like 2007, it just slows things down. I could see that some old programs might require it. Heck most linux OSes still prefer to have a swap/page partition even though it isnt essential

SSDs made in the past few years are not delicate flowers and you should not be worried about putting pagefiles on them or wearing them out. An endurance test on an 840 Pro wrote 2.4 PB before it failed; 1000 GB = 1 TB, 1000 TB = 1 PB, so we're talking 2.4 million GB. Currently, an endurance test on the Samsung 850 Pro has written 2 PB before seeing its first reallocated sectors (which began at 600 TB on the 840 Pro).

I'm a reasonably ordinary home user with the page file on my SSD, and so far the SSD has had almost 2 TB written to it in two years. This SSD would outlast me except that it will become obsolete first.
I have an 840 pro that's dead :/

I have an 840 pro that's dead :/

Controller failures are different from flash memory wearing out. A controller destined to fail early will do so regardless of having a pagefile or not. Flash memory wearing is what pagefiles would do, and you would need a lot of pagefile writing to wear out a SSD. Especially a larger one.

If you are concerned about endurance for a page file go to eBay and find a small S3700 dc drive.

Back