Samsung S32E590C 31.5" Curved WS LED Monitor

Blackfyre

n00b
Hi everyone,

I haven't seen anyone discussing this monitor and its potential. I thought of opening a thread because my local store will have it in stock by this Friday and I am trying to decide between it and the Benq 32" BL3200PT.

The problem is, I cannot find any reviews with regards to the Samsung S32E590C.

This is a link to the Samsung Monitor in the local store, they have some details on it:
https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=619455

This is a thread on another forum which I describe my situation:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2410604

Don't panic about the prices, it's Australian Dollar. I'm the one that has to panic paying this much for a monitor (or for anything technology related here to be honest).

1080p at 32 inches? That is just terrible IMO I would say go for the BenQ instead, at least it's 2560x1440. Even with the curve on the Sammy I don't think it will provide any benefit at that size.

The BenQ has a higher resolution, but it likely has higher input lag too (20ms vs 0 for the Samsung since it is 1080p). If fine with 1080p, buy a 32" Sony W7 series TV since it will easily beat both the BenQ and Samsung image quality and gaming performance wise, and is cheaper.

I'm sorry for asking this, but why would the Samsung have 0 input lag as opposed to around 20ms compared with the Benq?

I had the Samsung there, I know it's 1080p, I don't even like the curve to be honest, but its contrast ratio and viewing angles drew me towards it.

As for the TV, it is cheaper:

Sony KDL32W700C 32"
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-kdl32w700c-32-full-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv/703363/

That's from a local store. Is this the one? And why would it be a better choice than a monitor? I thought monitors use better quality panels and are much crisper when it comes to computer text.

Also I didn't want to get a TV because if I wait until mid to end of June there will be massive clearances due to end of financial year sales here. I believe the 40" W850 would probably be going around for less than a thousand dollars.

If you can have a look at the TV's on the site above, anything below $1000 if it's better than those monitors I'll consider it. There's 4K 40" TV's for around $850.

The reason people don't usually recommend TVs is because tons of people have problems with 4:4:4 chroma support (rather lack thereof). If you can find a TV that supports it and also supports 1:1 pixel mapping then you usually have to deal with terribad input lag (usually caused by overcomplicated internal scalers which have only been included as a selling point).

So yeah, if you can find a TV that doesn't give you some kind of headache, knock yourself out.

Having gone down that path years ago I'll pretty much be sticking to monitors from now on (although there is the occasional exception like these new 4k Samsung TVs... but even then...).

I'd go the 31.5 inch Samsung. It'd be great for console gaming (1080p is the max resolution support by the latest gen consoles to my knowledge) and movie watching especially. Plus you'll get plenty of life out of your ageing video card.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for asking this, but why would the Samsung have 0 input lag as opposed to around 20ms compared with the Benq?

The BenQ has an old scaler with a 20ms delay while 99.99% of of 1080p monitors are delay free.

I had the Samsung there, I know it's 1080p, I don't even like the curve to be honest, but its contrast ratio and viewing angles drew me towards it.

The 32" Sony also uses a VA panel and will surpass the Samsung when set up properly.

ISony KDL32W700C 32"
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-kdl32w700c-32-full-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv/703363/

That's from a local store. Is this the one? And why would it be a better choice than a monitor? I thought monitors use better quality panels and are much crisper when it comes to computer text.

That's the 2015 version which has not been reviewed yet, but it's likely the same or better than the 700B (review of the silver version=705B) which should be cheaper. The 32" W7 TVs are actually better than most monitors often come quite close to their highest end VA TVs performance wise. The Sony TV has a semi-glossy coating which vastly increases the colour vibrancy and clarity compared to the BenQ and Samsung which are matte, but they are also less reflective. The W7 series Sonys are PWM or Flicker Free while non-Sonys are not (read about PWM Side Effects) and the 700B (2014 model) has excellent preset colour accuracy. The Sony 32"will look better than the BenQ colour vibrancy and black depth wise, but less sharp at close distances since its resolution is lower.

The cheap 4k 40" don't support 4:4:4 @4k and use PWM so I won't recommend them. Buying a 4k display with PWM to use as a monitor is 100% pointless since their motion compensation features do not work when 4:4:4 is enabled and due to how much blur they suffer from (Example). The 1080p Sony W7 series and up support 4:4:4 @60hz.

First of all thank you all for the replies... :D

The 32" W7 TVs are actually better than most monitors often come quite close to their highest end VA TVs performance wise. The Sony TV has a semi-glossy coating which vastly increases the colour vibrancy and clarity compared to the BenQ and Samsung which are matte, but they are also less reflective. The W7 series Sonys are PWM or Flicker Free while non-Sonys are not (read about PWM Side Effects) and the 700B (2014 model) has excellent preset colour accuracy. The Sony 32"will look better than the BenQ colour vibrancy and black depth wise, but less sharp at close distances since its resolution is lower.

That's great information. So I'm going to stay away from the 4K Monitors/TV's. I wanted to find some reviews for the W700C (2015 Model) but I haven't seen anything in-depth yet.

The refresh rate for the W700C should be 60Hz when connected to the PC, correct?

There are three TV's that cost exactly the same:

LG 32LF6300 32"
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/lg/lg-32lf6300-32-full-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv/694976/

Sony KDL32W700C 32"

Samsung UA32J5500AW 32"
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/samsung/samsung-ua32j5500aw-32-full-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv/700617/

So the main reason why I should go for the SONY TV is because it is Flicker-Free, while the others are not?

Also I'd love to go for the 2014 Sony models, as I thought they'd cost less BUT no one has them in stock anymore.

In March, the same shop above had the Sony 65" W850B on clearance for $1300.

IN December the 32" W700b was going for $398...

But since then, the Australian Dollar has gone down, and prices of all electronics has almost doubled in some cases. I could wait until everyone has the new Samsung and Sony TV's next month and their might be another clearance.

But sitting in front of this 24" Acer X233h I found in the shed, while I buy myself a monitor/tv, is just painful. I have it sitting on top of the sub-woofer. Slightly above my head, and I can barely see the top of the screen due to its horrible viewing angles.

Low to mid range TVs usually use PWM but the 700C should not since the 700B didn't. One can easily test for PWM with this test which provides instructions. The Sony needs to be set to the Game or Graphics modes to enable 4:4:4.

Picking up the W700C (2015 Model) I'll be home in 2 hours... Anyone want me to do any tests? What? And how do I go about doing them?

It has a 1 month money back guarantee. So if I'm not satisfied with its results as a monitor, I'll be taking it back.

Where did you buy it that gives you a month money back guarantee?

JB-Hi-Fi, they said "if it doesn't live up to your expectations bring it back" within a month (obviously it has to be not damaged). So far, I have been using it for an hour or so and I am impressed coming from an IPS monitor. But I haven't done enough testing to decide yet.

By the way, I live in Australia, when it comes to warranty, it's great here. :D

Yes, I wana know if it passes the "It Rocks!" test. In other words, after a week, is it great, so-so-, or will you be sending it back?

I bought a 32" 1080p display for gaming...in 2006.

Seems like a bit behind the times for a 2015 display especially without any features like fully back-lit LED, Freesync/G-Sync, etc...As a TV that's way overpriced.

So far, I have been using it for an hour or so and I am impressed coming from an IPS monitor. But I haven't done enough testing to decide yet.

Have you had a chance to do some testing? Just want to make sure it's as good or better than 2014 version.

Had to replace my old monitor...so I bought the S32E590C today(~520euros), will report back with the results. Was looking originally for a 4k or 1440p 32" monitor, but I couldnt find any that would be decent in my country. BL3200PT was my other choice, but with all those flicker issues and higher response times, it was not worth it for me.

Until something better comes along and I finally decide to upgrade my PC to justify 4k @ 32"+ this monitor should be ok. S32E590C will be used mostly for Blu-ray movies and PS4 games, so 1080p will do just fine here...I really like the 5000:1 static contrast ratio.

Last edited:
Had to replace my old monitor...so I bought the S32E590C today(~520euros), will report back with the results. Was looking originally for a 4k or 1440p 32" monitor, but I couldnt find any that would be decent in my country. BL3200PT was my other choice, but with all those flicker issues and higher response times, it was not worth it for me.

Until something better comes along and I finally decide to upgrade my PC to justify 4k @ 32"+ this monitor should be ok. S32E590C will be used mostly for Blu-ray movies and PS4 games, so 1080p will do just fine here...I really like the 5000:1 static contrast ratio.

Hey Taurine, so what's the report on the S32E590C ???

Back