Robot Learns To Put Things Together On His Own

HardOCP News

[H] News
BRETT stands for Berkeley Robot for the Elimination of Tedious Tasks. The sad part is, eventually humans will become the "tedious task" and be eliminated by BRETT.

Maybe if we start worshiping our robot overlords now they won't go all Skynet on us or turn us into batteries.

I knew a guy named Brett that was about that smart.

I believe he is now somewhere "tending them rabbits".

Berkeley researchers are finding ways to replace people's jobs so people at Berkeley can complain about corporate America replacing people's jobs and destroying our livelihoods later on.

This was predicted in the Hollywood block buster Automata starring Antonio Banderrrrrrrrras.

That was me rolling my R's.

Berkeley researchers are finding ways to replace people's jobs so people at Berkeley can complain about corporate America replacing people's jobs and destroying our livelihoods later on.

You forgot to add demanding that we raise the minimum wage, so high school dropouts can get $15/hour for asking if you want fries with that.

Meanwhile some people with college degrees are lucky to be making $20/hour.

Doesn't seem "fair" to me.

Nice, so BRETT can teach Baxter and they can scale their domination exponentially.

O.O The robot learned child-proof caps.... we're doomed.

In all seriousness, I picture this removing the jobs of engineers and technicians more than fast food. Robots suck at customer service (unless you are in Japan where they love that stuff...). Admittedly, so do a healthy portion of people in customer service. However, put a few schematics in that thing's head and optimize those learning algorithms a bit and you could probably get it to build or design anything you want.

One other thing, it's a machine, not a person. It's only limited by that algorithm and a power supply, so fully expect this thing to be reassembling a car engine in like 4 months.

One other thing, it's a machine, not a person. It's only limited by that algorithm and a power supply, so fully expect this thing to be reassembling a car engine in like 4 months.

I gues if one robot learned how to do something it can share it with other robots instantly. So first time it will take 4 month to assemble a car engine by one robot but after that all robots will be able to assemble car engine replacing any need for people involvement. Those are first steps on the video and it will eventually change the way people work.

You forgot to add demanding that we raise the minimum wage, so high school dropouts can get $15/hour for asking if you want fries with that.

Meanwhile some people with college degrees are lucky to be making $20/hour.

Doesn't seem "fair" to me.

True.

Maybe they can force companies to pay the robot $15/hour to level the playing field.

The nemesis to $15 hr fast food. . .

There is huge growth in the Kiosk business for the fast food and vending sector.
This is because the typical minimum wager is expecting a "living wage" for this non-skilled low level work.
If they replaced all the counter people with kiosks they cut the staff needed in half.
Maybe the rest (like the manager, and top cook) can get paid more then, they may be keepers.
Queuing up behind a kiosk to put your order in then it spitting out a claim ticket for your meal is the future of fast food.
But as impersonal and artificial as it seems, will only match the Soylent Green nature of the food.

This is because the typical minimum wager is expecting a "living wage" for this non-skilled low level work.

Yep, these non-skilled workers need at least $15/hr for basic living expenses : 5 kids, 60" TV with premium cable subscription, 4 cell phone lines, Escalade with the 22", and on and on.

Back