Best free backup software for Windows 8.1

Sayth

Gawd
Hey all,

I'm sorry if there is a sticky thread somewhere, but I can't find it...

I'm basically looking for a Time-Machine like backup utility for Windows 8.1. The following are my expectations:

• complete system image
  • stored on a USB 3.0 portable HDD
  • backs up every hour or set amount of time
  • backs up every time the portable drive is plugged in
  • doesn't require manual intervention in order to clear out room for new backups

I have used Widows 7 Backup before, but after a month or 2 I have to go in and delete multiple backups one by one. It's tedious and ridiculous all wrapped into one. Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 has fixed that problem?

I'd try it out myself, but this is for a 64 year-old lady's laptop and I have to return it to her tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Wow... I am amazed at how well Microsoft can obfuscate useful features.

It turns out "File History" is what I need. I was mistakenly thinking "File History" was just a fancy new name for "Previous Versions" from Windows 7. Turns out "File History" is ACTUALLY the renamed version of "Backup and Restore"!

The best part though? They fixed (or seemingly did... Still to test) the old problem where once the backup drive was full you had to go in and MANUALLY delete old backups. Each delete had 2 dialog boxes to deal with. Often that meant DOZENS of backups to delete. So... much... clicking...

Now they have a setting called "Keep saved version: Until space is needed". We'll see!

Anyway, this is what I'm going to set up for my 64 year old neighbour. Here's hoping it works properly! I hope this helps someone else out there!

Cheers

Last edited:
Microsoft really fucking gimped their built in backup software with Windows 8.

I have used Widows 7 Backup before, but after a month or 2 I have to go in and delete multiple backups one by one.
Just curious, did you customize the backup selections? If you "let windows decide" it will automatically clear out old backups.

The 8.1 File History does a good job. It runs as often or as little as you want. It's not very customizable though. It only backs up your Libraries. You have to run a system image backup manually. The Windows 7 backup utility was better.

Just curious, did you customize the backup selections? If you "let windows decide" it will automatically clear out old backups.

Interesting.. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. It's a work computer and I can't remember what I configured exactly. Someone else took over maintenance on that machine. Thinks! I will report back!

Robocopy

Create a bat file and set a schedule for it to run or run it manually, it will check for file changes.

robocopy "C:\Folder\You\Want\Backed\Up" \\Place\You\Want\To\Backup\To /MIR /W:20 /R:15

Change \\Place\You\Want\To\Backup\To to DriveLetter:\Whatever\If\Needed

You can make a new line for each destination you want backed up and for where you want it to go and it's all built in to windows.

Interesting.. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. It's a work computer and I can't remember what I configured exactly. Someone else took over maintenance on that machine. Thinks! I will report back!
I wanted to check back in. I came across this TechNet Blog today. It mentions that if you choose to create system images periodically you can choose the option to allow Windows to clear space.

I think you have to set it up this way (system image backups) so that they know you always have at least one backup before automatically deleting data.

Veeam Endpoint Backup. It's free lifetime and works perfectly. We use this for any clients that don't have backups and are too cheap to buy an enterprise product.

Back