Feeling the itch to upgrade my home pc but not sure what to upgrade to

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Feeling the itch to upgrade my home pc but not sure what to upgrade to. It is around 2 years old and still going strong. I have around a $400-$500 budget.

Here are my current specs:

Intel 3930k @ 4.4GHz, Asrock X79 Extreme 4 Mobo, 32GB 1866MHz DDR3 in Quad Channel, GTX 760, 1KW Corsair PS, Creative SB Z, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 2x 3TB drives in Raid Mirror.

It runs great....I just have that upgrade itch...

I don't play many demanding games BUT I do have a couple VMs I run.

Maybe upgrade to 64GB of RAM. That's really all you can do that's remotely cost-effective. If you were playing significantly more demanding games, a new video card would be a good idea but you're not.

lol, i have very close system and i have an upgrade itch too.i dont think there is anything cost effective at least not in your price range.i went with a new TV to satisfy me. and that made me upgrade to the titan x but that whole deal cost me $3000.

more RAM might help with VMs. You could rebuild everything with the latest and see maybe 10% in benchmarks but in reality see almost nothing.i dunno maybe someone will think of something i have not thought of

Would VMs benefit from the extra threads of a i7? You might be able to find a used one for that board.

Already i7 it seems. Intel's product numbering system always baffled me. ^.^

Last edited:
lol, i have very close system and i have an upgrade itch too.i dont think there is anything cost effective at least not in your price range.i went with a new TV to satisfy me. and that made me upgrade to the titan x but that whole deal cost me $3000.

more RAM might help with VMs. You could rebuild everything with the latest and see maybe 10% in benchmarks but in reality see almost nothing.i dunno maybe someone will think of something i have not thought of

Yea, I was thinking maybe a video card too but the most demanding game I play is Kings Bounty.

Yea, I was thinking maybe a video card too but the most demanding game I play is Kings Bounty.

Yeah, that's why RAM was the only real upgrade path and that's only if you need more than 32GB of RAM.

Back