Charter Nears Deal To Buy Time Warner Cable For $55.1B

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bloomberg, citing people familiar with the matter, claims that Charter might be ready to take another crack at buying Time Warner Cable.

Charter Communications Inc. is near an agreement to buy Time Warner Cable Inc. for about $55.1 billion in cash and stock, according to people familiar with the matter. Charter will pay about $195 a share -- 14 percent above Time Warner Cable’s closing price on May 22 -- with $100 in cash and the rest in its own stock.

Yeah, but they are ok. 200gig a month for 60 meg service. We stream all of the time, never a problem.

Yeah, but they are ok. 200gig a month for 60 meg service. We stream all of the time, never a problem.

200 GB a month is not OK. Maybe for a cellphone it is ALMOST acceptable but not for a home internet connection.

200 GB a month is not OK. Maybe for a cellphone it is ALMOST acceptable but not for a home internet connection.

QFT

200 gig is NOT good. I would blow thru that easy. Hell if I can blow thru 120+ gig on my cell phone then 200 gig for home internet is just too small of a cap.

Charter better get on the stick and raise it. Also if Charter does buy TWC then expect the costs to be passed on down to the subscribers. Prepare for the rates to be jacked up to the moon.

I would like to know how your hitting 120+GB on your phone?
More power to you and all... but I barely hit 2GB a month and I regularly surf and watch YouTube etc. etc.
:eek:

We need more not less companies, I hope this fails, but it only takes one or two to pass to screw our failure of a market further.

Was 50gb for their mid tier when I had it. Was so thankful for brighthouse (uncapped), until charter announced buying them too.

200GB is shit, what the hell

/current TWC customer

Right. I'm a current TWC customer, with ultimate 50/5. They are advertising 100 speeds now so I'm expecting to get bumped up sometime this year. The last few months I've hit 600GB-1.1TB. Mostly from streaming in 2 different rooms at the same time. I would come close to 200GB just from game downloads/updates a month though sometimes.

In my experience they don't enforce the caps.

I have far exceeded charter's stated cap for years and nothing has happened, no throttling or fees on both separate business and home lines.

I've been on twc before, their caps are terrible but I've always gone over and never once received an angry letter or been charged.

I've had TWC for the last 10 years. It has been decent for internet.
I'm not liking what I'm reading about Charter and caps. 200 GB a month seems like it could be limiting.
(I actually have no idea how much data I use. We stream a lot of Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime in my house. I don't know if TWC breaks down actual data usage)

So they are buying TWC and taking Brighthouse (who I have). Gotta love less competition! I hate Brighthouse, but don't want to see them bought out.

Looking now i think they eliminated the caps from all the services recently. Can't find them stated anywhere in the fine print or otherwise.

I've been on twc before, their caps are terrible but I've always gone over and never once received an angry letter or been charged.

Do you live in the vey limited areas where TWC was experimenting with Caps? Mostly in Texas iirc?

Looking now i think they eliminated the caps from all the services recently. Can't find them stated anywhere in the fine print or otherwise.

They've been making quite a few improvements over the past year or so. Their internet is actually decently priced considering there's no competition around here.

200 GB on a cellphone is ALMOST acceptable? Damn man, stop using your cell phone like it's a home internet connection :D

Unfortunately people are starting to do that... using their cells as primary internet connection and completely cancelling land based internet. We offer unlimited 4G bandwidth and our 4G coverage is pretty good.

Data cap on landlines internet is never ok. Its something that belongs in the past and maybe on cell phone data
60mbit/s is around 7.5mbytes/s or around 18984Gigs a month. Thar 200 gigs cap means you can use just above 1% of you total advertised bandwidth.

I've had TWC for the last 10 years. It has been decent for internet.
I'm not liking what I'm reading about Charter and caps. 200 GB a month seems like it could be limiting.
(I actually have no idea how much data I use. We stream a lot of Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime in my house. I don't know if TWC breaks down actual data usage)

They break it down by month if you go to the internet section of your online account. ((My internet > + View Usage Details > then you can click the bar graphs to narrow down to the hour if you want.))

Customer service is eh with TWC but their overall service is pretty good. We rarely have outages if ever. I put them on the level with VZW for customer support/service quality.

200 GB on a cellphone is ALMOST acceptable? Damn man, stop using your cell phone like it's a home internet connection :D

You know what Verizon told the State of New Jersey, when the later asked and paid the former billions of USD for broadband landline internet service..."Our LTE counts as home broadband, and thanks for the $$$$$$$$$!"

Christie being the upstanding guy he is, let the tax payers money go. And left it at that.

http://stopthecap.com/2015/03/05/ch...-usage-caps-that-were-rarely-enforced-anyway/

No need to worry about caps. I've been stuck with Charter for years since the only "competition" here is Frontier DSL, which is absolute shit. I get my advertised speeds or more, and it is mostly reliable, except recently when they have been having nationwide outages. It was bad, internet would go out multiple times per day for over a week. It's been OK the past 2 weeks though, maybe they got their shit together.

I just switched from ATT to Charter and the base connection was 100mbir. For less than what I was paying 24mbit for with ATT.

So yeah. I'm more than happy with Charter. I've never hit any caps, that I know of, or had any letters in the mail based upon my use of their service.

I figured this would be a anti-trust and not go through with comcast.
Where the hell does charter get 55B? I did not realize they were so large.
Guess overcharging customers has made them rich?

I've had Charter for the past few years and have never had a cap. The starting speed is 100Mb in my area.

If the Comcast/TWC deal didn't go through, why the FUCK should a Charter/TWC deal be allowed?

It's ridiculous. Can we just say "enough" to the mega-monopoly ISPs already?

i feel so sorry for our american brothers struggle with low speed/expensive internet, capped, uncapped, bla, bla, you really have some greedy companies over there robbing you that way... i use 1gb/s internet for almost 2 years and i pay 12EU for it.

If the Comcast/TWC deal didn't go through, why the FUCK should a Charter/TWC deal be allowed?

It's ridiculous. Can we just say "enough" to the mega-monopoly ISPs already?

When you have the Number 1 MSO with 22 million subscribers buying the number 4 MSO with 12 million subscribers totalling over 34 million subscribers. This not only retains you as number one but widens the gap from numbers 1 and 2 from the 2 million subscriber gap to a 14 million subscriber gap.

This deal you have the number 8 MSO with 4 million subscribers buying the number 4 MSO with 12 million subscribers totalling out to 16 million which puts you at number 3 from number 8 just under Dish Network.

Do you really not see the difference?

Cable companies are going to purchase each other if it makes sense for the business. Its the easiest way to gain bulk subscribers.
Last year Charter bought Optimum West from Cablevision and gained 360K subscribers. Charter was part of the Comcast-TWC merger as well. They stepped in and worked with them to trade out KMAs during the transaction and even was part of spinning off another company all together and both companies would give it KMAs to operate. It was all to help the deal go through and get what they wanted out of it as well. Had Charter not been part of the merger it would have likely been shot down much quicker.

I have no idea whats going on with Charter buying the Brighthouse Florida KMA. Last i heard Brighthouse backed out.

I had Charter for 15 years (signing back up soon) and was never throttled or threatened to be throttled even at >3TB usage for 3 consecutive months.

Compared to current Time Warner I think a dry rat turd would be an upgrade. I'm fine with this buyout.

Back