VGA, HDMI, DVI-D, DVI-I output to HDMI only

andytl755

n00b
Using a NVidia GeForce GT 640 desktop graphics card, I need to output to a TV with only a HDMI input.

The graphics card has for sure a VGA port, HDMI port, and I think a dual DVI-D.

Unfortunately to complicate matters, there is a complex boot manager installed, which makes me think a HDMI to HDMI cable wouldn't work because at this point in the boot stage no display would be evident as the HDMI drivers are not yet loaded. Is this correct? This is how it works for my laptops - the display only starts to work much later in the Boot process when Windows has nearly finished.

My other options are VGA to HDMI. As far as I can tell this graphics card does not support 'Digital Signal Output' through the VGA port, so a converted would be expensive.

Providing I am correct that the machine has a DVI-D port, would it also be viable to purchase a DVI-D to HDMI cable?

I would appreciate any help with this. Sorry for the vague description of ports, I am helping someone else with this.

Andy

You can hook up the hdmi display just like any other connection;)

Last edited:
I can see the entire boot process on my HTPC over HDMI. It is the only device connected to my HTPC.

HDMI has support for resolutions down to 640x480, as does my 2010-vintgage 1080p TV. This should allow you to see the boot screen, unless for some strange reason your TV doesn't support that mode. Hey, it's possible.

Also, it's likely the reason you don't see anything on the HDMI output of your laptop is because it doesn't initialize anything except the primary display until you are booted into Windows. Your laptop screen = the primary display :D

Make sure the 640 is only connected toi the TV. It should work fine.

Last edited:
It'll be just fine. No fancy drivers are required for the HDMI output to function - you'll even be able to get into the BIOS if you need to. As far as the system is concerned, it's just another display output.

Back