Prototype Hoverboard Breaks Guinness World Record

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Marty McFly would certainly approve of this version of the hoverboard, Griff wouldn’t stand a chance. :D A new Guinness World Record for longest distance covered on a hoverboard was made last August and this video was recently added to Guinness World Records YouTube channel. The flight and invention both belong to Canadian Catalin Alexandru Duru, but any other information is scarce on future plans for his invention.

its a multi rotor.... and have fun falling off that
your going to look like you where put in to a spiral slicer

It's a custom heavy lift octocopter.

It takes a lot of power just to lift a DSLR. Lifting a man probably meant using enough power that would normally lift a camera for 20 minutes being used to lift a man for less than a minute. The ESCs and batteries must have blown up after one flight.

It takes a lot of power just to lift a DSLR. Lifting a man probably meant using enough power that would normally lift a camera for 20 minutes being used to lift a man for less than a minute. The ESCs and batteries must have blown up after one flight.

Nah, he had water cooling at the end ... :D

Are small gasoline engines not suitable for applications such as this? seems 4 small high output 2 cycle engines would give you much greater endurance than batteries, or is it a matter of precise control required to give the vectored thrust the problem?

Are small gasoline engines not suitable for applications such as this? seems 4 small high output 2 cycle engines would give you much greater endurance than batteries, or is it a matter of precise control required to give the vectored thrust the problem?

I imagine the weight and probably sloshing around of fluids and coolant might make this unfeasible.

Big difference between what's "out there" (DJI) and what's available. DJI and co. seem fine with 15minute flight times when 30-45 minute flight times are doable. There's a commercial one with 88minutes. Heck, 50lbs for 30min on a quad is doable.

I've seen some that use gasoline engines fine. There's a few military ones that use custom fuel cell and natural gas contraption.

This.

Well, you can also go the hybrid route, using a gas/diesel/propane engine to charge the batteries which power electric motors.

Here's a 10-rotor diesel/electric hybrid VTOL winged UAV:
http://www.electronicproducts.com/A..._engine_electric_hybrid_aerial_UAV_beast.aspx

Has would require collective pitch and is mechanically a bit less robust. Brushless you can direct drive to a fixed pitch.

I have a 3lb Brushless that can put out 40 lbs of thrust IIRC. The ESC I bought was rated for 12S (44V nominal) at 200 amps.

Overall either way you do it you have huge balls to even try this.

Has would require collective pitch and is mechanically a bit less robust. Brushless you can direct drive to a fixed pitch.

I have a 3lb Brushless that can put out 40 lbs of thrust IIRC. The ESC I bought was rated for 12S (44V nominal) at 200 amps.

Overall either way you do it you have huge balls to even try this.

How much could a Tesla D's 4 motors lift?
Could they lift a Tesla?
Flying Tesla!
If anyone were crazy enough to put a hundred millions into R&D for a flying car, it would be Musk.

How much could a Tesla D's 4 motors lift?
Could they lift a Tesla?
Flying Tesla!
If anyone were crazy enough to put a hundred millions into R&D for a flying car, it would be Musk.

lol too lazy to do the math but Electric motors are crazy powerful, they eclipse gas for raw power in the RC world. Problem with electrics like others alluded to in this thread is energy storage. They give out crazy power but the batteries for them aren't there yet.

You only need a single engine.

http://flitetest.com/articles/stingray-500-review

Find a way to replace that one motor with a piston engine, and you should be able to fly it on gas. I don't know anything about engines so i don't know if an engine that small and powerful exists.

really only need one...

http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/index.asp

Hm3ZeVv.jpg

and it flys a lot longer there is a reason you dont see manned multi rotor helis ... they are stupidly inefficient

oh and a mutli big enough to lift a person for any useful amount of time would weigh to much that you would need a pilots license and its subject to FAA safety regs and the weight balloons more

I think that there is a bit of a problem with their definition of hover board.

Very impressive but of course it had to be propeller driven which kind of defeats the purpose in comparing it to McFly's board. :p

Well, it's a start. With enough bright minds working on it, it can become something amazing in time. Let's not forget the leaps & bounds that have been made in the world of computer hardware.

I think that there is a bit of a problem with their definition of hover board.

hov·er
ˈhəvər/Submit
verb
remain in one place in the air.
"army helicopters hovered overhead"
synonyms: be suspended, be poised, hang, levitate, float; fly
"helicopters hovered overhead"
noun
an act of remaining in the air in one place.

It is roughly a board, it hovers, hence hover board. I think that the problem is that you expected something beyond the basic definition of Hover Board.

That is pretty impressive to transport a man who is probably about 170 pounds for over 300 yards. :cool:

Back