Good resources for preparing for the CISSP?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
What did you find to be the best resources in preparing for your CISSP?

I've got the Shon Harris book, and my company sent me to the ISC2's Prep course a couple weeks back (not necessarily ideal I know - because it is in house and they aren't going to give you the inside scoop). However the domains recently reorganized from 10 to 8, and my company wanted to send several of us to go, and that was the only vendor offering that reflected the new 8 domain test format.

I'm finding there is just so much information in the book that I need to consolidate my learning into the most testable areas to be able to digest it. Hence my question of what resources did you find helpful to prepare for your CISSP exam.

I am sitting for the exam on June 2, which is coming up faster than I'd like.

The test is 500 miles wide and 2 inches deep, part of the problem with that cert. The only thing I did to prepare was take lots of practice tests. I used the ones at the back of the Shon Harris book, signed up for CCCure, and signed up for the StudiScope practice tests that the ISC2 offers (or used to, not sure if they changed it with the change in domains).

I read five different books,

The official CBK
Shon Harris Books
and Several Smaller study guide style books

I then joined CCCure and took all of the practice questions multiple times. The only benefit you get from these practice questions is that they put you in the right state of mind. The CISSP isn't necessarily about what will "work" it is about what the CISSP coursework believes is best. So you get a lot of questions that have A-D be all "correct" answers. You have to choose the most correct.

Add in that it covers everything from Water systems (fire safety) to benches and environmental security design to encryption etc (500 miles wide and 2 inches deep as Blackjack said) make sure to study lots and not stress too hard. Most people have to test multiple times to pass. I was lucky to pass first try. I also studied my ass off for over a year though before testing (and had 8 years Info Sec experience before hand)

I spent a few days before the CISSP exam with the Shon Harris book. I took the test and passed the exam. It was by far the easiest certification exam I've ever taken. I felt the few days of prep time were 100% wasted the test was that basic and easy.

I will agree with Soilder101 the exam is all about the best answer, but so are most security/firewall exams.

I spent a few days before the CISSP exam with the Shon Harris book. I took the test and passed the exam. It was by far the easiest certification exam I've ever taken. I felt the few days of prep time were 100% wasted the test was that basic and easy.

I will agree with Soilder101 the exam is all about the best answer, but so are most security/firewall exams.

Either you are far above average in memory retention capability, experience and intellegence, or this is a troll post. I've known some very capable and intelligent InfoSec professionals who have had to take the test multiple times and failed a time or two before passing. Everyone, I've personally talked to who sat for the CISSP has said it was the hardest or second hardest test they'd taken.

One said PMP was harder.
One said Cisco Certified Instructor examination was harder.
Everyone else I've talked to said the CISSP was the hardest exam they had been exposed to.

Our work is asking the Information Security related employees to work towards the certification. No ultimatum at this time, just that they'd like our IS techs, IS architects, and InfoSec management to be certifed. Company size ~ 1,500.

Either you are far above average in memory retention capability, experience and intellegence, or this is a troll post. I've known some very capable and intelligent InfoSec professionals who have had to take the test multiple times and failed a time or two before passing. Everyone, I've personally talked to who sat for the CISSP has said it was the hardest or second hardest test they'd taken.

One said PMP was harder.
One said Cisco Certified Instructor examination was harder.
Everyone else I've talked to said the CISSP was the hardest exam they had been exposed to.

Our work is asking the Information Security related employees to work towards the certification. No ultimatum at this time, just that they'd like our IS techs, IS architects, and InfoSec management to be certifed. Company size ~ 1,500.

The PMP was a BEAST! Cisco-wise I can only speak for CCNP R&S and Sec and I thought they were much more difficult than the CISSP.

I think if you have a security mindset the CISSP is cake otherwise not so much. As I've said previously my employer places a lot of value on the CISSP and most of the people I work with have it along with a specialization. I can't say with scientific certainty but what I've heard in conversations is that it is either ridiculously easy or the hardest test ever. I've heard both sides from good employees and ones that were dumb as rocks. It comes down to how you're wired.

The PMP was a BEAST! Cisco-wise I can only speak for CCNP R&S and Sec and I thought they were much more difficult than the CISSP.

I think if you have a security mindset the CISSP is cake otherwise not so much. As I've said previously my employer places a lot of value on the CISSP and most of the people I work with have it along with a specialization. I can't say with scientific certainty but what I've heard in conversations is that it is either ridiculously easy or the hardest test ever. I've heard both sides from good employees and ones that were dumb as rocks. It comes down to how you're wired.

I would agree with this point. I took the CISSP once and passed. Only studied for 2 days. Found it to be pretty easy.

Back