Possible to upgrade laptop CPU?

soupcxan

Limp Gawd
I have a Dell Latitude E5530 with an i5-3380M processor and HM77 chipset. I really don't want to replace the whole system - is there an i7 quad-core processor that I can swap in?

I looked at this site and it says the i7-3632QM is 65% likely to be compatible, is there any way to know for sure? Do I need to get one from a particular revision/stepping to make sure it works?

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5_Mobile/i5-3380M_(PGA).html

First up, contact Dell and get the CPU supported list for your model.
It appears your laptop has a socket.
You'll need a CPU that matched the same TDP as the CPU you want to replace.
Contact Dell for the CPU list, because even if you find a CPU to purchase that matches your old CPU, you have to make sure it supported by the BIOS. No BIOS support, no booting.
Otherwise it looks like an easy swap. Dell has tear down information on their site.

Yeah I saw the spec sheet which only mentioned the M and not the QM processors, so unsure whether the QM would work.

I've got a used i7-3612QM coming in tomorrow, think it will work? Or burn the house down trying?

Make sure your CPU heatsink is up to the challenge - you can't just throw in a 75 or 100 watt CPU when your heatsink only supports 50 watts (or less).

According to this post here you will be fine.

Both processors are 35W TDP so the heatsink should be fine.

Any reason I need to reinstall the OS after swapping CPUs? Running 64 bit windows 7 now.

Any reason I need to reinstall the OS after swapping CPUs? Running 64 bit windows 7 now.

No reason. If Windows has an issue you'd find out quick. Worst case scenario windows will ask you to reactivate.

Is it still working? I just ordered the same processor, hoping for the best!!!

Back