Want JRPGs on Xbox One? Just Keep on Asking

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are a fan of Japanese Role Playing Games (JRPG’s) and would like to see them make a transition to Xbox One, all you have to do is keep on asking. According to a statement by Microsoft Xbox One boss Phil Spencer, it seems like a good bet that JRPG’s will eventually make a debut on Xbox One.

"It's a good and fair question. Keep asking until we show you something you like," Spencer replied. "I can't share specific plans now, sorry."

The sales of the one fullprice JRPG product released on PS4 and Xbox One this far (FF Type-0) did so poorly that we already have seen multiplatform-releases skip the Xbone version because of the minimum-print scale making it unprofitable. Even if they talk up developers to possibly co-finance or fully finance projects I don't count on them getting anything but a very temporary system exclusivity at best.

It would however be real awesome if they took some concepts around to maybe even From and asked if they wanted to direct and co-produce with MS financing the whole deal.

What I'm trying to say is, I would fit the console into my shopping list if we were going to get Metal Wolf Chaos 2.

JRPG's seem to fair better on mobile platforms although a majority of them are usually remakes &/or ports from the PS2. Outside of JRPG's pushed out by SE, most tank & tank hard ever since the last generation. I'm talking about 5 figures in sales at best. Western RPG's have been dominating that market thanks to companies like Bioware & Bethesda. While good JRPG's are still being made, a majority of gamers do not care for them. Especially when they have franchises like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher & Dragonage to keep them occupied.

Wonder if it will work if we keep asking for Halo on PC :eek:

Japanese companies don't really want to release there content to a western market because the thought of selling 50-100k units isn't worth it. We've already been begging for titles for years, and these companies don't care.

I'll suck someone's ween if they can make another, good Final Fantasy Tactics

Japanese companies don't really want to release there content to a western market because the thought of selling 50-100k units isn't worth it. We've already been begging for titles for years, and these companies don't care.

What are you talking about? A reasonable amount are still coming out on PS3, and my Vita is chock full of Japanese games. Actually, more of them have been coming to Steam, too. What surprised me the most was seeing Sayori's art on Steam. Granted, Nekopara was released censored in the US. But frankly most people in the US aren't used to those types so it's not surprising...

But IMO it's kind of the opposite. I'm seeing more and more JRPG's make it over here. Disgaea for instance is entering its 5th release here, and Persona 5 is being released on PS4. The thing is, almost all of these games are being released on the Playstation side of things. Japanese games are definitely not made for majority market share obviously (too much culture shock), but they are actually selling enough for them to keep releasing here. The fact that Xbox hardly has any is also hurting their console sales at least a little. I already decided that I'm going to buy a PS4 for the 2 games I mentioned above. The Xbox literally has had nothing I have wanted to play on it since Tales of Vesperia (which was by the way basically a beta version of the Japanese PS3 release... =\ )

Oh and to add to the above, from what I remember, Japan's Xbox sales are absolutely terrible. So that might be part of the reason you don't see many JRPG releases on it. Playstation has momentum going for those type of things whereas the Xbox is really just seen as an FPS and... well I don't really know what else. I'm pretty sure that's how a lot of Japanese gamers see it, too. I'm not surprised, after 360.

To give you an idea of how bad it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles_by_region#Japan

Yeah, Xbox One... 40k. PS4: Over 800k.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Xbox don't have the games they want, so they won't buy it. Since they won't buy it, the companies won't make the games they want for it. Also, they probably don't want to support foreign countries' products.

There is also the *secret* parity clause to blame, niche Japanese devs aren't exactly the most technically able ones to deal with multiplatform titles so the idea of having to learn how to code for a new system (since most use inhouse solutions) and then having to add extras so the experience feels "fresh enough" for Xb1 users isn't a good way to entice them to release on that platform.

I guess the last JRPG I played on XBOX was Eternal Sonata. Which was a very enjoyable game.

I think one of the main problems, well two really. The first is that Western society *hates* turn based. I think they view turn based as a limitation of hardware and not a legitimate playing style. So that right there kills a lot of your customer base. Turn based requires too much attention span for most westerners.

The second is that Japanese culture is usually a lot more ambiguous about male and female roles. I think this causes social unease in western male customers. Why is my male character wearing a flower? Why does he have long hair? Why does he not wear blue jeans at all times? Why does he not kill everything and eat red meat?

This is exactly why I bought a PS4, that's the platform to get for JRPGs.

Back