Details of Free Windows 10 Update Become a Little Clearer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Confused about what Microsoft is going about the distribution of the ‘free’ editions of Windows 10? You are not alone in the confusion. Check out this article to add a little clarity to the upcoming distribution of Microsoft’s new operating system. :cool:

Windows XP and Windows Vista users will have to buy a full copy of Windows 10. System builders likewise; build a new machine and you'll need to buy a license. Windows 10 isn't free; only some upgrades to Windows 10 are free.

Just hope they allow a work-around for clean install like upgrade to 8.x.

in the meantime they are foisting KB2990214 and KB3035583 off on unaware users

Its still as clear as mud unless what is written is exactly correct, in which case they are pulling a fast one.

My Windows 7 Home license allows me to use Windows 7 on any hardware I like.
I can build a new machine and legally use my current Win 7 Home license.

In the article it repeats what has been previously said
"Once upgraded to Windows 10, devices will continue to receive both feature and security updates for what Microsoft calls "the life of the device.""
This implies that if the device changes (ie the life of the device has ended), the license is no longer valid.
Yet they are calling the OS Windows 10 Home.

Something has changed in the way licensing works.
I would trade in my Win 7 Home license for a Windows 10 Home license.
Currently I can use Win 7 on what I like.
With the Win 10 trade in, the Home license is now tied to the hardware in use when it is first installed.

So you effectively get a renamed Windows 10 OEM, not Windows 10 Home.
Looks like they are pulling a scam.

so I lose my license to Windows 7 if I upgrade to Windows 10?...meaning if I want to reformat in the future can I go back to Windows 7?

Yes just install windows 7 with windows 7 media and your key...

Do you have proof this is how it will work.
An "upgrade" suggests the older version is longer valid.
It would also not help Microsofts plan to move everyone from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10.

So if my hard drive crashes 18 months after Windows 10's release and I have to reinstall from my existing Windows 7 install media, or if I decide to scrap the machine I have now and use the fully legal retail copy of Windows 7 that I own on a new home-built machine, I'll no longer be eligible for the free upgrade that I previously had? Well that's just.....stupid.

Do you have proof this is how it will work.
An "upgrade" suggests the older version is longer valid.
It would also not help Microsofts plan to move everyone from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10.

Darn the lack of edit.
I meant to say "An "upgrade" suggests the older version is NO longer valid.

I'd like to add...
MS wouldnt allow the old OS key to still function otherwise it could be used to upgrade again.
They are going to have a database of what has happened with the key one way or the other.
I dont fancy this database will be pro the continued use of the older OS.

What is your complaint about those KBs? Do they have cooties?

pretty much

they install windows 10 advertisements/nagware that will be activated when the new OS goes live to the public.

Darn the lack of edit.
I meant to say "An "upgrade" suggests the older version is NO longer valid.

I'd like to add...
MS wouldnt allow the old OS key to still function otherwise it could be used to upgrade again.
They are going to have a database of what has happened with the key one way or the other.
I dont fancy this database will be pro the continued use of the older OS.

Just because they don't invalidate the old key doesn't mean you can use it for additional upgrades. It seems the easiest way to handle it would be for Microsoft to produce a tool that generates Window 10 keys for the upgrades. That tool maintains a database of keys used to upgrade to Windows 10, and marks the Win 7/8 key as "used" when it spits out the old key.

Honestly, the licensing situation these days is an absolute nightmare. They add so many clauses and restrictions it's ridiculous. I understand they don't want people to buy a single copy of windows and use that key to put Windows on a dozen different PCs, but the restrictions trying that key to a single device configuration, and the hoops you have to jump through if you upgrade portions of your PC are kind of crazy.

Just because they don't invalidate the old key doesn't mean you can use it for additional upgrades.
We dont know that is the case yet, that the key can still continue to be used.
This point needs clarifying because I have no cause to believe it is true.

Honestly, the licensing situation these days is an absolute nightmare. They add so many clauses and restrictions it's ridiculous. I understand they don't want people to buy a single copy of windows and use that key to put Windows on a dozen different PCs, but the restrictions trying that key to a single device configuration, and the hoops you have to jump through if you upgrade portions of your PC are kind of crazy.

No wonder Valve thought it best to just make their own OS for their "console". Not that it has turned into much.

ms has only iys delf to blame for the confusion.

as for valves os, its great idea, could be great platform but well they really need to put the effort in making it better and pushing it.

This upgrade will be free, and will be delivered exclusively through Windows Update.

Ugh. So there will be no way to do a clean install. That sucks, as using an OS upgrade is never advisable.

Zarathustra[H];1041620730 said:
Ugh. So there will be no way to do a clean install. That sucks, as using an OS upgrade is never advisable.

Yeah this just means I am going to end up buying a retail license for Windows 10 so it isn't a pain in the ass when I want to clean install.

I think I'm going to keep my Windows 7 key and buy an OEM version of Windows 10...too much risk going with the upgrade path...MS knows how popular W7 is and is just trying to trick people into upgrading their older operating systems and transfer their keys over

pretty much

they install windows 10 advertisements/nagware that will be activated when the new OS goes live to the public.

That is just stupid.

On a side note though I honestly like that they have fixed some of my grievances with 8.1 and would be willing to try this. Upgrading the OS via windows update is pretty scary though tbh. I don't think it will be THAT big of a problem 8.1 -> 10 but I have tried upgrading 7 -> 8.1 and never been successful without some problems.

I wonder if you do this you will be able to get a legit windows 10 key to save and store with your backups.

Free or not I'm keeping my Windows 7 until 2020 or whenever they actually stop supporting it.

Its still as clear as mud unless what is written is exactly correct, in which case they are pulling a fast one.

"Once upgraded to Windows 10, devices will continue to receive both feature and security updates for what Microsoft calls "the life of the device.""
This implies that if the device changes (ie the life of the device has ended), the license is no longer valid.

iWth the Win 10 trade in, the Home license is now tied to the hardware in use when it is first installed.

Nope. Your Windows 7 license is ties to the motherboard you install it on the first time... You can change the CPU, HD, and more, but not the motherboard.

Windows 7 isn't really tied to the motherboard. I've already changed mine and it reactivated with no problems.

Nope. Your Windows 7 license is ties to the motherboard you install it on the first time... You can change the CPU, HD, and more, but not the motherboard.

Interesting. Something is wrong with what you said since I had no issue transferring my Windows 8 Pro license from a laptop to my custom built desktop at work. This is with the $40 key that I bought when Windows 8 first came out.

I don't think that is technically correct.
Microsoft doesn’t spell out the exact hardware changes that can cause a Windows PC to become non-genuine, but we know that changing the following hardware components can cause this: The motherboard and CPU, hard drive, network card, graphics card, and RAM. Changing a single component or even two components may be fine, but changing several components may upset Windows.

I have Windows 8 Pro ($15 special, boxed) and a Win 7 Pro key. Tried 8, hated it, and went back to 10. Currently running Win 10 preview in a vm, meh.
Hopefully will like 10 enough in the end to install it. In the 1 year window of course.

If you're on Windows 8 and above you shouldn't have any problems doing a clean install after the update to Windows 10 is complete. All of the newest versions of Windows allow a full reset. 7 to 10 may present issues, though.

I'm on 8.1 Pro and not upgrading unless there is a clean install option.

False only if it is an OEM license not a Retail license. A retail license can still only be used on one machine at a time however you can completely rebuild your computer every month and use that same key as it is not tied to hardware as an OEM license is.

False only if it is an OEM license not a Retail license. A retail license can still only be used on one machine at a time however you can completely rebuild your computer every month and use that same key as it is not tied to hardware as an OEM license is.

This.
He quoted my reference to the OEM license but ignored it.
Otherwise there is no difference between OEM and retail.

I carried over the same W7 OEO license on several computers i had (sue me...) never had issues with activation.

W8 is different.

I don't think that is technically correct.
Microsoft doesn’t spell out the exact hardware changes that can cause a Windows PC to become non-genuine, but we know that changing the following hardware components can cause this: The motherboard and CPU, hard drive, network card, graphics card, and RAM. Changing a single component or even two components may be fine, but changing several components may upset Windows.

When it does upset windows, it just tells you to call a 1-800 number where you can get a reactivation key. The first time I called this number (a long time ago) I had to explain to a live person why I needed the key - but the person didn't really seem to care that much about the reason. The last time I called it was all automated.

If u have to buy an OS every time u change your motherboard some motherboard makers are going out of business. :rolleyes:

This will never work obviously and there will be some way for guys like us to continue to enjoy new hardware without having to buy a new OS every time.

I've always just done a windows image backup of my entire SSD drive right after a brand new install and activation of windows. That way a new install and all that reactivation isn't an issue each time I want to start over.
This only works if your setup with a SSD drive for OS and other hard drive for everything else. (One other thing, if you haven't done this before you should. Reloading an image to an SSD drive is so much faster than going through a complete new install each time you reinstall)

I changed my motherboard on my windows 7 PC and just had to reactivate with the phone process.

Windows 7 isn't really tied to the motherboard. I've already changed mine and it reactivated with no problems.

Yeah, no. This is just plain wrong.

OEM or System Builder licenses, yes.

Retail licenses - however - can be freely reused as many times you want, as long as it's only one at a time.

Youay have to reactivate on occasion however, to make it slightly more difficult to use it on multiple computers at the same time.

With the Win 10 trade in, the Home license is now tied to the hardware in use when it is first installed.

Nobodies forcing you to upgrade? You have the option to accept or refuse the offer of the FREE upgrade. It's only a scam if they don't disclose all the details. If you want a full retail version then buy one.

If you have a factory OEM Windows 7 install and the custom OEM install media, Microsoft can't stop you from reinstalling Windows 7. Those installs don't activate online, they activate against a SLIC table in the BIOS. They also use a common OEM key. Example, all Dells with Windows 7 Home Premium will use the same Dell key. That key is already blocked from online activation. That's why there is another key on the COA sticker. You use that key with regular install media. They could, ask you for, and block that key. Then if you didn't have the custom OEM install media, you couldn't go back to Windows 7. Not to many people have the OEM media, they charge for it. If you created recovery media, that would also let you reinstall seven without them being able to block it.

I know its off topic but, you should know Retail license IS NOT UNLIMITED reinstalls

even with XP Retail I hit my reinstall limit and had to buy a new license.
guestimating from memory, 20 - 25 reinstalls in a 3 year period from beta testing games for diff companies

Back