Google Is Very Sorry for Its Racist Maps Bug

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google sure is having a hell of a time with Google Maps lately.

Certain offensive search terms were triggering unexpected maps results, typically because people had used the offensive term in online discussions of the place. This surfaced inappropriate results that users likely weren’t looking for.

This surfaced inappropriate results that users likely weren’t looking for.
No, it was showing EXACTLY what they were looking for, if they typed in those racist/sexist/etc slang terms, lol! Its just that what they are searching for isn't politically correct, and so Google is trying to distance itself from it.

That also goes to show how deep Google's data-mining goes, that even google maps is pulling up slang internet terms.

I am so sick of the apology society we are creating.

Zero reason for Google to apologize. So some people acted like dicks...welcome to the real world.

If anything the only thing Google should apologize for is the fact their search results are based off what other people do online. i.e. Google Bombing.

Google has to try find ways to make it harder to "fix the result" from a search. This issue may have stumbled upon one of those methods.

So admit it how many of you went right to google maps and searched N***** King?

hmm... hopefully GooglePi won't allow things like this.. cause.. that would just be so wrong (but awesome too)

I am so sick of the apology society we are creating.

Zero reason for Google to apologize. So some people acted like dicks...welcome to the real world.

PR, they're not really sorry but apologies are free.

Welcome to Eggshell World where everyone is jockeying to claim the mantle of moral indignation at every opportunity. Watch your step. Even mindless algorithms reacting to an unanticipated reality can cause moral outrage.

True, but Google Is showing its sensitivity here.

Great business sense and MORALS.
Not denying that, just saying their excuse that people were ACCIDENTALLY typing in those search terms and expecting something else is nonsense, heh!

Regarding morals, I don't think Google has any, but they understand what makes them look bad and could have negative business fallout.

True, but Google Is showing its sensitivity here.

Great business sense and MORALS.

How can it be Google's fault if their search engine does its job? Google didn't create the content. Others did.

Fighting racism with censorship is like fighting fire with fire, and racism with racism (which is how the government fights racism--which is why we still have so much of it--but that's another story.) It's always amusing to hear people champion "net neutrality" even as they gleefully sign on to private censorship...;) People are basically hypocritical and say: "Yea, I fully support freedom of speech, but speech I don't agree with, personally, should be censored and banned (by somebody.)"

How can it be Google's fault if their search engine does its job? Google didn't create the content. Others did.

Fighting racism with censorship is like fighting fire with fire, and racism with racism (which is how the government fights racism--which is why we still have so much of it--but that's another story.) It's always amusing to hear people champion "net neutrality" even as they gleefully sign on to private censorship...;) People are basically hypocritical and say: "Yea, I fully support freedom of speech, but speech I don't agree with, personally, should be censored and banned (by somebody.)"

Yeah i dont give a shit if i ran a company and my product listed the Ni**** king as the president of the US and i was made aware of it i would fix it. I dont care how the content was created or who created it i wouldnt want such stupidity being represented by my brand.

Nobody made them do it, they did it themselves. Its not censorship and no matter how hard you try and twist it to one side of politics or the other its just a smart business move...

It's funny how it's ok for a black man to call himself and others ++++++s but when a white boy does it, it's the end of the world. Sometimes tv makes it sound like they wear the word with pride, not like an insult.

It's funny how it's ok for a black man to call himself and others ++++++s but when a white boy does it, it's the end of the world. Sometimes tv makes it sound like they wear the word with pride, not like an insult.

That same old tired argument made no sense before and makes none now... The guys running around calling themselves the N word are the bottom of society and do not represent the whole.

I think we are overly sensitive to stupid words like that getting mad over a word gives it power.

That same old tired argument made no sense before and makes none now... The guys running around calling themselves the N word are the bottom of society and do not represent the whole.

I think we are overly sensitive to stupid words like that getting mad over a word gives it power.

To add to this the white trash running around in their busted suburbans with the hatchet man stickers dont represent whites... Nor do the idiots that fly the rebel flag and call themselves rednecks with pride.

Back