Teenager Admits To 23 Charges Related To Swatting

HardOCP News

[H] News
This kid is off to a great start. It will be interesting to see what the courts slap him with at his June 29th sentencing hearing.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be identified under a publication ban because of his age, has now admitted to a total of 23 offences of extortion, public mischief and criminal harassment. In a day-long sentencing hearing at Port Coquitlam provincial court last Friday, Crown prosecutor Michael Bauer outlined how the teen had terrorized mostly young, female gamers and their parents, in B.C., Minnesota, Utah, Arizona, Ohio and California.

It's really bad that this went on for so long and happened to so many people before he was finally stopped, but it does give people a good reason not to play computer games online with other people you don't know because some of them are pretty much insane.

It's really bad that this went on for so long and happened to so many people before he was finally stopped, but it does give people a good reason not to play computer games online with other people you don't know because some of them are pretty much insane.

Are you serious? This kid is a terrorist, by definition. It's okay to let some snot kid ruin online fun? Fuck that!

Are you serious? This kid is a terrorist, by definition. It's okay to let some snot kid ruin online fun? Fuck that!

Yes, I'm serious. I wouldn't want to experience anything similar to what these other people had to deal with. The risk of getting hurt in a prank swatting incident isn't worth the entertainment value gained in playing games online.

Of course he's serious!
One should never play games with other people unless those other people are cats. ;)

Yes, I'm serious. I wouldn't want to experience anything similar to what these other people had to deal with. The risk of getting hurt in a prank swatting incident isn't worth the entertainment value gained in playing games online.

You should just stay off the internet altogether. 100% safety.

The lad needs corrective encouragement.

968full-a-clockwork-orange-screenshot.jpg

Attempted murder should be on there since there's a probability of getting killed when they bust down your door. Attempted animal cruelty as well since the first thing the cops do when they enter the house is kill the family dog.

Why we can't just put these people in prison for life without parole or just kill them outright is beyond me. Civilization is a place for the civilized. This isn't about rehabilitation, this is about keeping psycho's like this away from the rest of us.

I say release his name so the public shaming can commence.

The kid mainly targeted young girls? Well release his name and lets see how well he does with the ladies in the future.

Tired of this selectively sealing legal documents.

I don't know if it's just me, but I have a feeling that there won't be much of a harsh sentence handed down to this kid. Call it a hunch, or call it an educated guess from living in Canada and seeing consistent let downs from the justice system especially towards minors. If that's the case, I apologize in advance to all those expecting the book to get thrown at him.

I only hope I'm wrong.

Also as a canadian, I hate to say it but I doubt the kid is going to get more then a slap on the wrist

I hope your wrong too

The Canadian "youth justice" act will ensure he doesn't get punished for it as well, since he is "only" 17 and clearly has no idea what he was doing....40 times....couldn't figure out it was a problem...

I say release his name so the public shaming can commence.

The kid mainly targeted young girls? Well release his name and lets see how well he does with the ladies in the future.

Tired of this selectively sealing legal documents.

The Youth Criminal "justice" act in Canada will more or less prevent us from knowing who it was because they are under 18.

Yes, Canada's legal system is an international embarrassment. As a Canadian, I'm well aware of this.

I don't know if it's just me, but I have a feeling that there won't be much of a harsh sentence handed down to this kid. Call it a hunch, or call it an educated guess from living in Canada and seeing consistent let downs from the justice system especially towards minors. If that's the case, I apologize in advance to all those expecting the book to get thrown at him.

I only hope I'm wrong.

You may be wrong. The man is currently looking to make an example of those who engage in swatting. In large part because it causes one to critically examine law enforcement policy and practices, but also because it costs money they could be using for graft.

The teen, who went under the same social media user or name (or a variation of it), would also retaliate by posting a target's parents’ dates of birth, and social insurance and credit card numbers on the web, and had pizza which they had not ordered delivered to their home.

Did he put a RAT on the victims PCs? Or did they stupidly supply him with all this information via in game chat? Come on people.

Makes Nintendo's online policy look pretty good.

A++

I might be completely out of touch, but how the hell are a random online strangers figuring out all of these people's home addresses?

I might be completely out of touch, but how the hell are a random online strangers figuring out all of these people's home addresses?

Once you have one piece of identifying information (e.g. Facebook, twitter, even an email address)...getting the rest is just matter of well established methods.

Throw the book at the kid, which won't be much anyway since he's a minor and we expect teenagers to be stupid... its like putting a bunch of cat treats in the trash can, and then acting appalled and surprised that your dog dug through the trash.

But ultimately we have to look at our policies on why it was so simple for a kid to abuse the legal system, and who is responsible for minimizing such damages from a random kid in the first place.

so no one has a problem that police raid homes based on unconfirmed reports given by people who live hundreds of miles away?
Swatting shouldn't even be a thing. Get a report of someone with a gun running around in a residential neighborhood with no one else calling to report the same thing and the guy reporting is in a different state or has their number blocked (aka not local) it might be a good idea to check out the place first instead of storming in with a para-military police force ready to shoot and kill anything that moves.

But yeah, might as well consider every report to be true.

After the first time this kid did it the problem should have been followed up and his parents contacted.

so no one has a problem that police raid homes based on unconfirmed reports given by people who live hundreds of miles away?
Swatting shouldn't even be a thing.
Some of us do, not a lot, but some of us are pissed off, its not just you.

You may be wrong. The man is currently looking to make an example of those who engage in swatting. In large part because it causes one to critically examine law enforcement policy and practices, but also because it costs money they could be using for graft.

I hope I am wrong and I hope that sentiment to lay the hammer down on swatters overrides any protections this kid might have under the Youth Criminal Act here in Canada. But besides that, I know that I've heard of initiatives in the U.S. to crack down on swatting, but unless I'm forgetting where it was mentioned or I've missed it entirely, I haven't seen the same concern towards swatting here in Canada by law enforcement, so that's where a bit more of my skepticism comes from.

YAY! PoCo make the [H] front page. What a dipshit though, I hope they throw the book at him.

Millions of gamers playing millions of online games at any given moment. Your chances of being targeted by something like this aren't even a calculable percent. The odds are so astronomical it makes the lottery odds look in your favor by comparison. This is pretty much text book paranoia here.

If they can't charge him because he's a minor, maybe they can bill his parents for bogus calls he put in since they're responsible for him. If I were this kid's parent and they billed me for all the prank calls and damages done, jail would be the least of his worries when I'm done with him.

Millions of gamers playing millions of online games at any given moment. Your chances of being targeted by something like this aren't even a calculable percent. The odds are so astronomical it makes the lottery odds look in your favor by comparison. This is pretty much text book paranoia here.

I have good reasons to act in a way that avoids being in situations where there's unnecessary risk. It might seem like paranoia to someone with a wholly different perspective on things, but if it isn't a big deal with you, go for it. I was speaking for myself given my own set of life conditions and circumstances. Your situation is very likely to be different enough to make whatever you do acceptable to you. That's perfectly okay too and I won't go around calling you self-destructive and suicidal because you think I'm paranoid. :p

Swatting shouldn't even be a thing. Get a report of someone with a gun running around in a residential neighborhood with no one else calling to report the same thing and the guy reporting is in a different state or has their number blocked (aka not local) it might be a good idea to check out the place first instead of storming in with a para-military police force ready to shoot and kill anything that moves.

After the first time this kid did it the problem should have been followed up and his parents contacted.

Some truth there, but doesn't detract from what the kid did. Sounds like he knew how to maximize the police belligerence and risk to homeowners. He deserves more than what he'll get.

I have good reasons to act in a way that avoids being in situations where there's unnecessary risk. It might seem like paranoia to someone with a wholly different perspective on things, but if it isn't a big deal with you, go for it. I was speaking for myself given my own set of life conditions and circumstances. Your situation is very likely to be different enough to make whatever you do acceptable to you. That's perfectly okay too and I won't go around calling you self-destructive and suicidal because you think I'm paranoid. :p

Damn, well played CUG ;)

Look, you think the cops are over reacting by not trying to confirm these swatting calls before deploying. But riddle me this Batman;
How loud would be the crying if they got some people killed because they were trying to confirm the threat before deploying a team?

See, you only see the probability of risk associated with the Cops action while completely ignoring the far greater risk posed by inaction. It's so easy to only look at this problem as a subset of fake calls as a whole instead of fake calls as a subset of all calls so many of which are real. The cops can not NOT respond.

Because the FBI does not track home invasions as a separate type of crime they are listed as Robberies of a Residence.

QUOTE]*Total number of robberies that took place WITHIN the home was 59,889

*That works out to be almost 7 home invasions every hour.[/QUOTE]

Just how many calls like the one's these Swatters are making are received all the time?

How does one get all that info from only seeing a League of Legends screen name?

Jeez, throw that kid in a concrete pit for a year and toss food down at him. Little shit needs to be banned from electronic devices for a while.

How does one get all that info from only seeing a League of Legends screen name?

People often use the same names across the internet. A quick search might lead to websites that contain more information about the person.

Back