safe upgrade from i3/290 to 4770k/290 on a CX500m

a3venom

Gawd
will it work? i don't really care if my PSU dies in 1 year.
trying to make a buying decision since I am getting a $240 4770k with more than 2 year warranty still left.

my mobo don't overclock

Replace it. PSU is the last part of any computer that you want to take any chances with.

I'd replace the PSU before I even consider upgrading anything else. Corsair PSUs, with exception of AX and HX lines, are generally subpar in quality.

The rest of the rig will die along with it being the worst case scenario, not just the PSU

Besides, PSU is one of the harder parts to replace if the PSU is not modularised, may as well get a new one right away and forget about it.

Edit, My apologies, I missed the fact that you only want to replace the CPU, not the entire rig.

But my stance on the PSU remain, that PSU really is subpar at best, I would replace it on that merit alone.

Under no circumstances should you expect PSU to ever die. Ideally it should be the LAST part to fail before the casing itself fails, not the first part.

Last edited:
I would think about getting a killawatt meter and a new power supply. That way your good if the new supply ever has issue and needs replaced, you can possibly use the old supply for a couple weeks as backup unit if ever needed. I think i could force my pc to pull just over 500watts and i imagine your system would not be to far over mine in same situation but your current supply might be a bit to close to max load for comfort and day in day out use.
Look at it this way..everyone needs a backup unit sooner or latter:)

Should be fine, but the PSU will sweat a little, and you should not go for an OC.

What case are you using?

Most important thing in the computer is the PSU, it powers everything. I would have at least a 600 Watt PSU in that build, just noting the 4770k and an R9 290. With an overclock maybe even a higher watt PSU, 750 watt or more.

Personally, I'm not a proponent of the CX series. I would also replace it with a quality PSU between 600-750w. Don't just look at the brand names, they're a start but there are a lot of good PSU's out there that are rebranded Seasonics, etc.

Back