YouTube Kids App Under Fire

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh come on, what's wrong with preschoolers watching a few videos about wine tasting, crotch grabbing, LSD and beer?

When we were conducting our review, YouTube Kids actually began recommending videos about wine tasting on its app for preschoolers. Thus, the more inappropriate videos children search for, the more inappropriate videos they will be shown via the app’s ‘Recommended’ function.”

"If a user comes across content they feel is inappropriate they can flag the video and Google will manually review the video and remove it if it doesn’t fit the company’s guidelines, the spokesperson says."

I can understand a blacklist for the general population, but a kids app should definitely be a whitelist :)

"If a user comes across content they feel is inappropriate they can flag the video and Google will manually review the video and remove it if it doesn’t fit the company’s guidelines, the spokesperson says."

I can understand a blacklist for the general population, but a kids app should definitely be a whitelist :)

Here here!

For starters, I monitor YouTube usage at all times, so I can't be justly accused of laziness. Kids have quick eyes and fingers, and they'll click just about anything the moment you look away. All I wanted was a whitelist, but noooo, can't have that.

How else are they going to collect ad revenue from a billion fucking toy unboxing videos?

The Kids app is for better ad targeting for kids first and foremost.

My 3 year old browses non-kid's mode YouTube and has never come across or been suggested anything like that.

Related - ChuChuTV has some pretty trippy songs he listens to.

I don't see anything wrong with something that looks educational "What is red wine?" for kids. There are places where drinking wine with dinner is perfectly normal. In no way does that equate to "Hey kids drink all this that you can!"

And obviously, parenting is still required. If you want some free babysitting app so you can be a lazy ass parent, get a life and stop blaming youtube.

Back