Grammar Nazi In Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

That was awesome. Except...that's an English grammar thing in the video. Does the German language have the same issue?

I bought this game last week.

It's really fun to play. I guess it's a prologue to last year's New Order.
The gameplay is wild and frantic. The graphics aren't groundbreaking, but the gameplay makes up for it.

I thought the Arstech review was way off. The game is great fun. They bashed it because it's stealthy in the first hour, but there are ample opportunities to use weapons even then.

It's also a good length as well. I've played almost 5 hours and I'm only half way done.

Definitely worth 20 bucks.:D

Played the game and beat it in 5 1/2 hours. Suddenly zombies and suddenly giant monster boss.

You DIDN'T expect Zombies and Monsters in the game? C'mon, it's Wolfenstein!

That was awesome. Except...that's an English grammar thing in the video. Does the German language have the same issue?

Given that English is a Germanic language...

You DIDN'T expect Zombies and Monsters in the game? C'mon, it's Wolfenstein!

It's not that but the game kinda just threw that in there. Spoiler alert, you're looking for a folder and that guy from the first game. Suddenly zombies and then suddenly giant boss thing. If aliens came down and started working with the nazi's, it would work out perfectly. Then the game should end with you riding a Unicorn into the sunset. All without any build up.

Given that English is a Germanic language...

Some of the Modern English rules come from non-germanic languages, such as French and Spanish, so not everything in English will have a direct German correlation.

Old English would have been much closer to German, but even Old English is nearly indecipherable to someone who knows only Modern English. For comparison, the King James Bible was written in early Modern English, and even that is little tough to read now.

Technically, yes, same issue. I doubt any German above the age of five ever made the mistake in the video, though.

lie - lay - lain
lay - laid - laid

In English, the confusion stems from the fact that the past tense of lie is identical to the word lay. At some point, everybody has read the a phrase like "As I lay in bed" in a book.

In German:
liegen - lag - gelegen
legen - legte - gelegt

While similar, none of the verb forms are identical.
In the video, dummy says "Ich habe im Bett gelegt." You will not read this phrase in a book.

In both languages, you can use the "wrong" verb reflexively in a perhaps confusing context.

"As I laid myself to sleep" (though rare)
"Als ich mich schlafen legte". (pretty common)

In both languages, it describes the physical action of putting oneself in bed, not the state of being there.

Back