Ark: Survival Evolved Lets You Domesticate Dinosaurs

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This week, Indie Developer Studio Wildcard announced the upcoming release of its open-world survival game Ark: Survival Evolved to Steam Early Access on June 2nd. The remainder of all major platforms will have to wait until June 2016 for further releases. Here’s your chance to tame a dinosaur and ride it to live or die trying. :cool:

The FOV seems screwed up, makes it look like people that are right next to him are far away. Very fishbowl.

The dinosaurs appear to be outdated depictions, and pterosaurs were at the limits of the weight they could carry with their own bodies, yet alone have a 150-200lb human on their backs.

I like the premise of a survival game set in the Triassic period, but this is about as nonsensical and childish as Dinoriders from the 80s. https://youtu.be/lor_uUkJkkw?t=10m22s

*yawn* Yet another "humans surviving around dinosaurs" game. I want a game where you get to play as a raptor dropped into the modern world, where you have to fight and survive against humans and somehow return to your own time/planet/whatever. You get to roar/scream to get people to run in panic, and watch them cower into corners if they have nowhere to go? How about some visceral visuals where your claws disembowel someone? Oh yes, and you can take someone's annoying barking pet dog, grab them in your jaws, and throw them like a ragdoll? Run across a street and cars wreck everywhere, people panic and run in terror. Anyone with me on that?

I don't like this fantasy dinosaur survival game or 80s cartoons.
Both of these things are awesome. Go back to your single player game of Excel 365. Much more realistic for you, I'm sure.
I want a game where you get to play as a raptor dropped into the modern world, where you have to fight and survive against humans and somehow return to your own time/planet/whatever.
Jurrassic Park for the Genesis. Anyway, why can't we have both for the competitive multiplayer?

*yawn* Yet another "humans surviving around dinosaurs" game. I want a game where you get to play as a raptor dropped into the modern world, where you have to fight and survive against humans and somehow return to your own time/planet/whatever. You get to roar/scream to get people to run in panic, and watch them cower into corners if they have nowhere to go? How about some visceral visuals where your claws disembowel someone? Oh yes, and you can take someone's annoying barking pet dog, grab them in your jaws, and throw them like a ragdoll? Run across a street and cars wreck everywhere, people panic and run in terror. Anyone with me on that?

FYI, this was done 21 years ago, Dick Tracy. ;)

Jurassic_Park_Rampage_Edition_GEN_ScreenShot1.gif

gfs_38931_2_2.jpg

^ Similar graphics too, wow.

I just don't get why there's dragons and giant scorpions... this is why I hate most game creators, really?

Both of these things are awesome.
I like Dinoriders too, that's how I knew to reference this as a copy... but then my balls dropped and I grew up. Like I said, I think the premise is great, but the execution here is childish when it doesn't have to be. For example, what if you were meant to be transported to a certain date ala 12 monkeys, but instead you got stuck in pre-historic times and had to survive while looking for "insert element" along with makeshift survival tools to try and get back to your time, but in the process say you end up jumping through different eras in prehistory so you go from say the giant insect carboniferous age and jump to the Triassic and then Jurassic to the Pleistocene with terror birds and smilodons and mammoths and what not for a variety of landscapes and flora and fauna.

THAT would have been much cooler IMO than domesticating a brontosaurus like in Flintstones/Dinoriders.

Will keep my eye on this, but won't be going in for Early Access - not after the train wreck that The Stomping Land turned out to be... My wife and I were super hyped for it too.

Ok. Who will post the first "Bongo Velociraptor" video :)

Someone needs to teach these guys running physics. The speed at which the POV was scrolling across the screen suggests more then 30 mph. He covered terrain pretty damned fast.

Back