Random shutdown after even the slightest OC.

Loser_guy

Limp Gawd
Specs:
i5 4690k
msi gaming 5 z97
r9290 w/c
rosewill 80+ gold 650w

I can stress test and achieve "stability" all the way up to 4.6ghz, yet if I try to push the clock to even 3.7ghz my system will just shut down out of the blue. It almost never happens under load typically at idle or just browsing with chrome.

Leaving turbo boost on and everything at stock I can watch it set on 3.9 ghz all day.

When I was on windows 10 I turned off all the power saving options I could think of/find but it was still unstable. I went back to 8.1 due to issues with a couple games and video drivers and had hoped maybe the problem would disappear but it has not.

Any idea on what could be wrong?

Is you memory definitely good, ran/passed memtest86? Do you have another PSU to test with?

How does it shut down? Does it just turn straight off like it was unplugged or does it go thru the "Shutting Down" procedure like you did it thru the Start menu?

If it just shut off, my first suspect would be the power supply.

Also, are you adding any voltage when you try and overclock? If not try pushing it up a tick or two and see if that helps.

Haven't thought to run memtest, I'll try that when my roommate gets back to borrow his flash drive because I don't own one haha. The only extra PSU i have I know is bad because it was causing shutdowns under load when I overclocked my 7950.

My PSU has developed some coil whine but with the processor at stock it never shuts down even with pushing my 290 to 1150 and playing star citizen (only game I have that pushes both cpu and gpu to almost max) it doesn't hiccup, so I have a hard time thinking that's the problem.

Shutdowns are just sudden as if unplugged as you said.

Yeah I upped the voltage starting with the recommendations from various guides I've found. I left it at 1.20v even for when I was just trying 3.7ghz.

If you're getting sudden shut downs then you need to check with a different PSU. Because if it was anything else, you would just get a blue screen.

Went to Best Buy and snagged a CX750 to test. Been running @ 4ghz for a few hours now and seems to be holding steady. But even before it would seem okay for a day or even two before shutting down. Time will tell.

Luckily I have a few years left on my Rosewill warranty. What's the process if I determine it is the problem? Just tell them the PSU appears to be causing me problems?

Strange note with the cx750 one of the knobs will whine unless I turn it all the way up. Electronics are are funny.

Uh... not sure what you mean by knobs. Where are these knobs??

Can't help with your knob woes, but as far as warranty goes, you should be able to just contact their support department with the required information/description of your problem. Their RMA procedures are here: http://www.rosewill.com/support/support_rma.aspx

Not sure how Rosewill is about warranties, but given the circumstances, sounds like a reasonable cause for RMA.

Hana oh god I forgot to say the knob on my fan controller, I think my brain goes faster than my finger type.

But had another shutdown with the PSU after only 5 minutes of being on this morning. Will have to do a memory test later today.

I dont think its going to be a memory issue. Faulty RAM wont make your PC just shut down like you pulled the plug - at least not as far as I know. If its not the power supply then the next suspect would be the motherboard.

Doesn't hurt to test the ram before going out and getting a new mb--would have done that before getting a new PSU, myself, since it's pretty easy to do.

If the RAM turns out to be fine, try removing any unnecessary peripheral (USB hubs, headphones/speakers, GPUs if you can, NICs, etc.) and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then add them back one or two at a time until it reappears. Otherwise, try swapping the GPU (if you aren't able to just remove it).

You could also try re-seating the various connectors on the motherboard, though I don't think that's likely to solve your problem--generally, if an important connector isn't seated properly, you'll just simply fail to boot.

Also, how hot are you running? Are you using the stock Intel heatsink?

did the OP even bother to check what the PSU requirements are for a Radeon 290? 750 is what is recommended... you are about 100W short of that...

OP said:
Specs:
i5 4690k
msi gaming 5 z97
r9290 w/c
rosewill 80+ gold 650w

The corsair he replaced the rosewill with is a 750W PSU, though I don't know if the recommendation takes into consideration other components in the system.

Back