Large Hadron Collider Just Detected Extremely Rare Particle Decays

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Large Hadron Collider has been back in operation barely two weeks and has already detected a rare particle, strange B mesons, adding to the confirmation of the Standard Model of particle physics.

Mesons are another subatomic particle. The Standard Model predicts that strange B mesons, a particle flavor of the subatomic particle, should decay at a rate of four out of every billion strange B mesons ever produced, and non-strange B mesons at a rate of one in 10 billion.

"We just spent billions of dollars pooled together from several countries. We didn't find shit and none of our theories appear remotely correct". Do you think that statement would ever be issued?

Just sayin'.

I would have read the article on first click had it not been for the inundation of various advertisements which did not close after the advertisement was finished. Especially one advertisement which took up the entire screen yet did not close after it had ended. I do not want to see an air freshener which I already use nor do I want to see what recycling was like in 280 B.C.
FacePalm.gif
Ad shit is getting ridiculous on Gizmodo. I was able to read the article after closing then re-opening four times.

After, finally, being able read the article, the current Standard Model is outdated as it doesn't have inclusions on how to safely approach new discoveries. That in of itself is challenging as we do not know how the new discovery behaves in the grand scheme of things. Then again, we do have the ability to roughly predict what the B meson can do yet we won't know until it is actually seen operating in the environment it is in.

"We just spent billions of dollars pooled together from several countries. We didn't find shit and none of our theories appear remotely correct". Do you think that statement would ever be issued?

Just sayin'.

So, the solution is to stop funding science? Care more about "the people" and their problems? Fuck that.

I would have read the article on first click had it not been for the inundation of various advertisements which did not close after the advertisement was finished. Especially one advertisement which took up the entire screen yet did not close after it had ended. I do not want to see an air freshener which I already use nor do I want to see what recycling was like in 280 B.C.
FacePalm.gif
Ad shit is getting ridiculous on Gizmodo. I was able to read the article after closing then re-opening four times.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm + Ghostry.

You're welcome.

Just sayin'.

Yes, absolutely. This isn't like religion where we start out with a desired result. One of the main goals of the LHC was to see if our current model of particle physics is an accurate description of reality. Either result would be highly valuable to the physics community and the nations involved.

You have multiple teams competing at LHC and larger accelerators will almost certainly be built in other nations eventually, falsification would be detected. The various nations involved have no reason to fabricate data, they're funding this in part because theoretical science has historically led to economic and defense benefits in the long run.

Just sayin'.

Did they not find the Higgs Boson, which was one of the reasons for creating the LHC in the first place? Thought they did.

Just sayin'.

Better than spending trillions on illegal wars and killing innocents, don't you think?

FacePalm.gif

After, finally, being able read the article, the current Standard Model is outdated as it doesn't have inclusions on how to safely approach new discoveries. That in of itself is challenging as we do not know how the new discovery behaves in the grand scheme of things. Then again, we do have the ability to roughly predict what the B meson can do yet we won't know until it is actually seen operating in the environment it is in.

uBlock is your friend. I didn't see a single popup on Gizmodo.

I believe the SM has had plenty of experimental validation, it is not in doubt and hasn't been for many decades now. What is needed is a theory that unifies SM with gravity, since String theory is no longer the darling of scientists and everyone knows we may not ever get to experimentally verify it, and it may not actually be verifiable at all.

Yep, Higgs Boson was discovered during the previous LHC run.

And as history would show, whenever they probe at higher energy levels never attained before, new stuff would be discovered. So it shouldn't be surprising that they will continue to discover new particles now that they are running at a higher energy level, one that no one has done before previously.

The Large Hadron Collider has been back in operation barely two weeks and has already detected a rare particle, strange B mesons, adding to the confirmation of the Standard Model of particle physics.

Did you bother to read the article, or just the headline? These particles were found in 2011 and 2012.

"The data behind the meson decays was gathered back in 2011 and 2012."

Did you bother to read the article, or just the headline? These particles were found in 2011 and 2012.

"The data behind the meson decays was gathered back in 2011 and 2012."

Probably more so than you did.. his statement said "rare" particle, not undiscovered one. it's part of the vetting process to confirm data to ensure it wasn't In error.

uBlock is your friend. I didn't see a single popup on Gizmodo.

I believe the SM has had plenty of experimental validation, it is not in doubt and hasn't been for many decades now. What is needed is a theory that unifies SM with gravity, since String theory is no longer the darling of scientists and everyone knows we may not ever get to experimentally verify it, and it may not actually be verifiable at all.
Reading about String Theory is interesting, all the extra dimensions and such. Testing it would seem to be a challenge, as you mentioned.

Probably more so than you did.. his statement said "rare" particle, not undiscovered one. it's part of the vetting process to confirm data to ensure it wasn't In error.

Maybe I'm missing something, honestly possible, but he said "The Large Hadron Collider has been back in operation barely two weeks and has already detected a rare particle".

Which implies that they were just discovered by the LHC, only 2 weeks after it's been turned on, I'm pretty sure I'm reading that intent correctly.

But these particles weren't, they were 3-4 years ago, and they only just gave out confirmation. Him saying "rare" has nothing to do with it.

The article says nothing about these particles being re-detected after it's been turned on again, only that the detection from back then is being announced.

Back