Oculus Recommended Hardware Specs Revealed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Atman Binstock, Chief Architect at Oculus and technical director of the Rift, posted the recommended hardware specs for the Oculus Rift this afternoon.

Given the challenges around VR graphics performance, the Rift will have a recommended specification to ensure that developers can optimize for a known hardware configuration, which ensures a better player experience of comfortable sustained presence. The recommended PC specification is an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290, Intel i5-4590, and 8GB RAM. This configuration will be held for the lifetime of the Rift and should drop in price over time.

Damn no AMD CPUs or Apple computers make the cut after reading the comments under the article. I guess that makes the Oculus Rift even more of a niche product!

Thanks for linking. At least they were forthcoming and transparent. If I ever see the need to update my CPU, maybe I'll make the cut. :)

Damn no AMD CPUs or Apple computers make the cut after reading the comments under the article. I guess that makes the Oculus Rift even more of a niche product!

Thanks for linking. At least they were forthcoming and transparent. If I ever see the need to update my CPU, maybe I'll make the cut. :)
I'm sure it's flexible, it just means you might have to turn down some details on some games.

I'm sure it's flexible, it just means you might have to turn down some details on some games.

That would probably make it stutter or worse. If you can't make the minimum frame rate then it supposedly gives you a migraine.

That would probably make it stutter or worse. If you can't make the minimum frame rate then it supposedly gives you a migraine.

Motion sickness and generally bad quality is more likely. If this thing gave you migraines they could expect lawsuits.

2160x1200 isn't bad.

Looks like it is split up between both eyes though... so the effective resolution is only 1080x1200, but in 3D. While an improvement over the earlier DK2 hardware, I was really hoping for a bit more. The Rift DK2 had 960×1080, so it's at least a small bump up as to resolution.

Really kick-ass 3D is probably another 3 years away and will push 4K+ resolution.

Looks like it is split up between both eyes though... so the effective resolution is only 1080x1200, but in 3D. While an improvement over the earlier DK2 hardware, I was really hoping for a bit more. The Rift DK2 had 960×1080, so it's at least a small bump up as to resolution.

Really kick-ass 3D is probably another 3 years away and will push 4K+ resolution.

This is as much as they could push out of the HDMI spec, I think. Few years down the line with DisplayPort 2 and HDMI 3 or something hopefully this will be pushing 4K each eye at 120 hz.

This is as much as they could push out of the HDMI spec, I think. Few years down the line with DisplayPort 2 and HDMI 3 or something hopefully this will be pushing 4K each eye at 120 hz.

Totally agree dmonkey - they targeted it towards what the existing HDMI spec was capable of... and the GTX 970 minimum already cuts out a LARGE segment of the general gaming public as that's a pretty stout card right now, but by the time this hits, it'll be a bit more mid-range. Can't wait to see what's around 5 years from now! :D

I think you're misunderstanding me. You just lower the settings on the game itself. Like turn off ambient occlusion, good shadows, some shader effects, that sort of thing. Unless it was something with a ton of physics, like Planetside 2 or something, your minimum framerate would be fine if you tweaked it.

Well your AMD CPU should be just fine, although I'm guessing you were just calling attention to the fact that they didn't bother to list an AMD equivalent (although they did say "equivalent or greater" and google exists...).

Well your AMD CPU should be just fine, although I'm guessing you were just calling attention to the fact that they didn't bother to list an AMD equivalent (although they did say "equivalent or greater" and google exists...).

No, if it was fine they would have said so. Like they mentioned both Nvidia and AMD in the video card section.

Lol that is exactly my specs. Still can't afford one yet. Not sure if I want one but witcher 3.....mmmm

Back