Thieves Can Easily Reset A Stolen Apple Watch

HardOCP News

[H] News
I had no idea the Apple Watch had nothing in place to keep crooks from resetting and using a stolen watch.

Unlike the iPhone, if someone steals your Apple Watch, they can easily reset the device (bypass the passcode), and pair it with a new iPhone logged in to a different iCloud account. In other words, it’s totally feasible to steal an Apple Watch and set it up on a different device as if you just purchased it from an Apple Store.

This is nothing new. You can even reset an iPhone and iPad to factory and have access to the device. Generally speaking, they can even use the device with a different carrier.

This is nothing new. You can even reset an iPhone and iPad to factory and have access to the device. Generally speaking, they can even use the device with a different carrier.

not if Find My iPhone was enabled on the device. You can't do anything with those devices.
I have an iPad Air here that is now a paper weight as there is no way to get around iCloud activation.

Pretty sure if I stole a regular ass watch I'd be able to use that as well.

Meh, if you can afford an Apple watch, you can afford another Apple watch.

So basically it's like 99% of ever consumer item in the world.

The security around phones is to prevent personal data loss, not prevent people from using them.

So hard for me to be an Apple hater today with all this nonsense that comes out.

not if Find My iPhone was enabled on the device. You can't do anything with those devices.
I have an iPad Air here that is now a paper weight as there is no way to get around iCloud activation.

And apple fought that for the longest time. You can't buy advertising like that story of the guy getting mugged for an iphone, mugger found out he had an android found and gave it back in disgust.

Android passcode has the same security 'feature'. It's meant to protect the security of the 'original' owner's data by allowing 10 wrong tries before wiping the system.

I use it all the time to wipe phones that are being re-purposed, and it is way easier than connecting it to a computer and setting it to factory default.

Back