Microsoft Lists Upcoming Versions Of Windows 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this blog post by Windows Marketing chief Tony Prophet, there will be a total of six different version of Windows 10.

Windows 10 is coming this summer in 190 countries and 111 languages. Today, we are excited to share more details on the Windows 10 Editions. As in the past, we will offer different Windows editions that are tailored for various device families and uses. These different editions address specific needs of our various customers, from consumers to small businesses to the largest enterprises.
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 10 Mobile
  • Windows 10 Education
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

The more I hear about Windows 10 the more I want to see it's release! Here's hoping it's more Windows 7 than Windows 8!

I see they have the "let's release too many nearly identical SKUs" market locked down.

Cant just have 1 $50 version you can buy at any store. NOOOO lets have at least 6 versions, if anything they just need Home/commercial/cheap toy editions.

God, I can't wait for it either but seriously, wtf does Microsoft want to have that many damn versions of it to Market. It is going to confuse the average PC user like crazy.

There should be only 2 versions:

Windows 10

Windows 10 Mobile

get rid of the rest

I see they have the "let's release too many nearly identical SKUs" market locked down.

People always love to make a lot of Windows SKUs but it's generally more straightforward the list looks. For consumers there's only three versions, Windows 10 Mobile for smartphones and small tablets, Windows 10 Home which lacks things like domain security, Hyper-V, web server, etc. and then Windows 10 Pro which has all of that stuff.

The other versions are VL and only apply to institutions like businesses and now it looks like there's a similar setup for educational institutions. Not exactly sure what Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise and how that's obtained. Probably for institutions that are setting up their own devices and management processes.

It doesn't look that complicated. The versions that people are prolly going to buy on their own are Windows 10 Home, Mobile, and maybe Pro. The Enterprise stuff you won't likely see outside of an organization that has like a larger software agreement with MS and the Education version is probably a discounted-for-schools thing (I'd even guess a lot like Pro in features) that'll have a usage limit tied to schools or whatever so outside of doing IT workies for a living, you're not gonna see 3 of those 6 versions from a buy-it-yourself perspective.

Windows 10

Windows 10 Mobile

get rid of the rest

There's not point in putting Hyper-V or a web server on a $100 8" Windows 10 tablet that has 32 GB of storage. The versions from a consumer perspective make perfect sense.

I thought this was going to be a spaghetti mess of SKU's and in all honesty it's not.

Home Users: Home/Pro
Business: Pro/Enterprise
Schools: Education

mobile versions with their respective OS'

We only have to worry about Home or Pro, I'll put MONEY that the majority of people go with home.

The only thing I want to see is a laid out difference between Home vs. Pro. Terminal services, Remote Desktop, HyperV manager are very nice toys to have when working remote. Before I toss out my Win 7 key I need to see these 2 versions laid out side by side.

Honestly I won't care a bit about the Enterprise versions, there's nothing there I need anymore and finally MS has learned to pack everything except critical business apps into the home version.

Windows 10

Windows 10 Mobile

get rid of the rest

This is how MS makes money by having the extra sku's with those handful of add-on features that you'll hit a check mark to install and that's it.

I swear people just complain to complain.

You should only see 2 available for purchase, the Pro and Home. If you go to the business section you should see Enterprise and possibly Server versions.

The mobile will most likely only show up in the developer section.

Education version is long over due for a business model. I thought it was weird they had a full blown version of Windows available to the masses with a .edu account for cheap.

Windows 10

Windows 10 Mobile

get rid of the rest

Sure home users want to pay for domain features they will never use...

Windows 10
Windows 10 mobile - covering tablet / internet of things and those devices and pending on device enables or removes features
Windows 10 Enterprise

At least on the server market they got it right with 2012 with 2 versions and done with it.

There's not point in putting Hyper-V or a web server on a $100 8" Windows 10 tablet that has 32 GB of storage. The versions from a consumer perspective make perfect sense.

Oh please. It's one thing to not include certain things, but they prevent users from enabling certain features for no good reason other than to fuck their users. Why not let people download hyperv, rdp or whatever? It's not like you say it is.

Simplified my ass

Oh please. It's one thing to not include certain things, but they prevent users from enabling certain features for no good reason other than to fuck their users. Why not let people download hyperv, rdp or whatever? It's not like you say it is.

How are they fucking their uses, buy the product that suits you?

Dam those auto makers for making a more expensive car with more features than their $15k cars!

They should have these versions instead :D:D

Starter
Bing Edition
Home
Home Premium
Professional
Ultimate
Enterprise
Education
Corporate
Small Business
Mobile Starter
Mobile Bing
Mobile Pro
Mobile Premium
Mobile Ultimate
Mobile Enterprise
Mobile Corporate
Mobile Small Business.

Dam those auto makers for making a more expensive car with more features than their $15k cars!

I agree, I am not actually sure what the issue people here are having with this. If they wants 30 SKUs for their OS why can't they? Just buy which version suits you best, this way people don't pay more for features they don't want and MS doesn't give features away that they shouldn't.

Software is a product guys, it takes work to create and many times your SKUs are decided by your customers who want to buy it in bulk of a certain type.

Except that in cars you have, like, you know, extras? You can pick and choose.

Car analogies are dumb.

What the... isn't W10 supposed to be free?

Car features are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced 100% of the time.

I agree, I am not actually sure what the issue people here are having with this. If they wants 30 SKUs for their OS why can't they? Just buy which version suits you best, this way people don't pay more for features they don't want and MS doesn't give features away that they shouldn't.

Software is a product guys, it takes work to create and many times your SKUs are decided by your customers who want to buy it in bulk of a certain type.

Because MS is touting Windows 10 as an equal to Apple for OS level deployment. OSX only exists on Apple Hardware and IOS is only on apple mobile devices. At no time are there OSX Home, Pro, Safari edition; only OSX/IOS.

MS after saying "WE ARE APPLE LIKE!" decided to go against the grain and make 7 sku's even though we, as home users and professionals, only give a shit about 2 of them: home and pro. We see home and pro and say "Huh, OK" but someone who is bound to crucify MS for any fuckup says "I SEE 7 VERSIONS! WAY TO GO MICROSUX!"

MS simplified things with these SKU's, looking closely you'll know which one you will probably want, but with 7 SKU's your brain ticks over to "HERE WE GO AGAIN!" mode.

So im running Win 7 64 bit Ultimate does that mean i'll upgrade to there top of the line 10 version due to my product key for free?

Looks good.
A few to many versions for your average Joe user, but really I understand these are all distinct products, and should be separated as such.

3 consumer products and 3 company products, not really that complicated considering they are including a Mobile version of the system.

I am looking forward so testing the Mobile Ent version on some tablets.

Because MS is touting Windows 10 as an equal to Apple for OS level deployment. OSX only exists on Apple Hardware and IOS is only on apple mobile devices. At no time are there OSX Home, Pro, Safari edition; only OSX/IOS.

MS after saying "WE ARE APPLE LIKE!" decided to go against the grain and make 7 sku's even though we, as home users and professionals, only give a shit about 2 of them: home and pro. We see home and pro and say "Huh, OK" but someone who is bound to crucify MS for any fuckup says "I SEE 7 VERSIONS! WAY TO GO MICROSUX!"

MS simplified things with these SKU's, looking closely you'll know which one you will probably want, but with 7 SKU's your brain ticks over to "HERE WE GO AGAIN!" mode.

Outside of the Surface Pro, Microsoft hasn't compared themselves to Apple. Most of this is made up assumptions on the internet, mostly produced by internet nerd rage.

Also you will only see 2 versions of these available for purchase.

Still not buying all the bitching and moaning.

First of all, these SKUs wouldn't have any effect on the vast majority of code being developed for Windows unless we're talking about thing like enterprise management or embedded development. Secondly, the overwhelming consumer base isn't buying Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home, but a specific piece of hardware that fits the need and budget. Unless the user is looking to connect to a domain at work or something like that, these different SKUs won't make a bit a difference. And anyone that understands the need to connect to a domain or how to use Hyper-V isn't going to be confused.

This subject is always gets overthought by tech guys.

For most people the only question should be - Home or Pro?
That's really all I need to know. Will Pro offer anything worthwhile for me as an end user who sometimes works from home? Once that's answered, it's pretty easy.

I'll pick up a Win 10 Home license. The only reason I use Win 7 Pro is because of the RAM limit Microsoft put in for the versions.

Win 7 Home Basic 8GB max
Win 7 Home Premium 16GB max
Win 7 Pro 192GB max

I know Windows 8 doesn't have this limit (maybe the Bing edition does), but I didn't see a reason to switch.

Looking forward to Win 10.

I agree with MrGuvernment - why do they insist on having both a Pro and an Enterprise?

My list:

Windows 10 (for home, just the basics)
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Mobile

Outside of the Surface Pro, Microsoft hasn't compared themselves to Apple. Most of this is made up assumptions on the internet, mostly produced by internet nerd rage.

Also you will only see 2 versions of these available for purchase.

Still not buying all the bitching and moaning.

MS wants to make the OS updates from version to version work like OSX. Maybe they have not directly claimed this but they have alluded to this heavily as this is the last version of Windows supposedly.

I'm all for the versions Microsoft has released, they make sense to me. Wish they had less but this is a ton clearer than the Home, Home Pro, Ultimate mess that was 7/Vista

I love the people complaining about MS having too many SKUs.
First, let's be honest, there are really only 4. Two are cell phone operating systems and CLEARLY don't count since you can't buy them.

That leaves:
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Education
Windows 10 Enterprise

You're not going to see Education on Store shelves, since it will only be available through edu only marketing and sales channels. That leaves three versions:

Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Enterprise

Now, who might be confused when presented by these options? Well, not anyone who frequents [H] to begin with, but where might someone be presented with all three? Not Amazon. Not Newegg. Not Microcenter.

The only real way to get confused is between Home and Pro. And to be honest, if you don't know what pro is, you don't need it. And anywhere you go, they list the differences (see links above).

So let's not act like this is eve remotely an issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I also wonder if they are going to offer home bundles or something like they did with Windows 7. I'd totally jump if so.

I also wonder if they are going to offer home bundles or something like they did with Windows 7. I'd totally jump if so.

Remember, if you upgrade near the first availability (6mos?) the upgrade fro anyone running 7 or 8 is FREE NINETY NINE.

I agree with the others that this is being blown way out of proportion. The only confusing part to consumers will be whether they go for Home or Pro (but since they will probably have at least a 100% price difference I think that will be an easy decision for the non power user).

Enterprise will be mostly a bulk purchase for businesses who want all the remote and administrative functions in the software. Now that MS has eliminated the Ultimate Editions I doubt they will offer the Enterprise editions for legal retail purchase.

Education edition, as others have noted will only be available through education purchases (universities or lower level schools) and probably for school usage only (kind of a less powerful Enterprise version)

The mobile versions will only be available on purchased devices and won't be available for standalone purchase, I am sure.

Remember, if you upgrade near the first availability (6mos?) the upgrade fro anyone running 7 or 8 is FREE NINETY NINE.

Unless something has changed since I read the news release, for the first year after its release, Windows 10 was FREE for anyone running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Windows 10

Windows 10 Mobile

get rid of the rest

How about one version that is one or both based on your selection of desktop/laptop vs. tablet/mobile all in one bundle. Done. I don't understand the breakout configurations myself.

How about one version that is one or both based on your selection of desktop/laptop vs. tablet/mobile all in one bundle. Done. I don't understand the breakout configurations myself.

If you want the same features in both then most smartphone/tablet users aren't going to be keen on coughing up the 20GB or so of disc space that Windows usually consumes

If you are talking about different installs then MS is unlikely to sell a retail version of their tablet/mobile version ... it will likely only be available in OEM versions and only to OEMs

Cant just have 1 $50 version you can buy at any store. NOOOO lets have at least 6 versions, if anything they just need Home/commercial/cheap toy editions.
I would like a different support level between consumer and commercial usage.

So im running Win 7 64 bit Ultimate does that mean i'll upgrade to there top of the line 10 version due to my product key for free?
Those who bought a 7 PC before 8 release were offered the like what 15? 25 dollar upgrade to windows 8 pro independent of if they had pro or not.

Back