The Void Wants to Offer Fully Immersive Virtual Reality Games

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
You know you want it, we all want it and what we want is a totally immersive VR experience. We are about to get our wish compliments of Ken Bretschneider’s vision of The Void. The Void is Ken’s dream of what VR should be like; going all out developing the technology, physical room configuration and wearable gear to give the most complete VR experience possible. Check out the video and welcome to the Holodeck. :cool:

That felt like a fake commercial for an upcoming "VR gone wrong" movie.

That felt like a fake commercial for an upcoming "VR gone wrong" movie.
I posted this on Wed in the Oculus thread, and yeah my first thought sadly was not "VR gone wrong" but VR done right, by adapting it to fix "butterface" relationships. :D

Put this on, and you can superimpose yourself having sex with your favorite celebrity on the back of a humpback whale blowing a mist of water overhead creating a double-rainbow, and you can give her the voice of Kathleen Turner or something with your headset, drowning out her annoying shrills.

If gloves are needed for this VR, I'd settle on an actual holodeck,

Those gloves are probably going to be the real immersion killers, unless of course, your actual VR scenario uses gloves.

If gloves are needed for this VR, I'd settle on an actual holodeck,

Those gloves are probably going to be the real immersion killers, unless of course, your actual VR scenario uses gloves.

Because wearing a ton of shit on your head isn't already an immersion killer That gloves you can't see are totally gonna kill it.

Needs some refinements. I still think CAST-AR would be a better way to make it all work.

So, each room would need to be custom for each game? Just for the physical feedback.

Looks cool, but expensive (for the player and the place running everything). I'd play it once. Then, I'd be done. Just to check it out.

Because wearing a ton of shit on your head isn't already an immersion killer That gloves you can't see are totally gonna kill it.

Didn't say the headset wasn't an immersion killer, I was just saying gloves was potentially ANOTHER immersion killer.

VR has a fundamental flaw, it does not track the movement of your head (if I understand how it works correctly). Not having your image when your head moves is THE immersion killer.

Giving a bunch of unskilled people sticks (swords) to swing around in wild abandon in a multi-player setting......what could possibly go wrong?

Didn't say the headset wasn't an immersion killer, I was just saying gloves was potentially ANOTHER immersion killer.

VR has a fundamental flaw, it does not track the movement of your head (if I understand how it works correctly). Not having your image when your head moves is THE immersion killer.

Uh. Moving the image with your head is pretty much the key point of VR and has been taken care of since the 90s.

Although the grammar there is so broken, I'm not sure if I'm getting what you mean correctly.

If I have to have the physical space, and props, why not just make it fancied up LARPing without the computers and other junk? Or a simunitions encounter, or whatever. The ad material is missing out on what's really going to sell it.

Most modern VR helmets do track the head position. Head tracking. Some cheap or older models were just a monitor mounted in a housing, but I don't think they were sold as VR, but head mounted displays.

Back