C.H.I.P. - The World's First Nine Dollar Computer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you thought the Raspberry Pi was a cheap mini-computer, how about a $9 computer that has a 1GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM and 4GB of storage and works with any screen? The $9 Dollar computer is a Kickstarter Project that’s already reached $520K and still counting of a proposed goal of only $50K with 26 days still remaining. :cool:

C.H.I.P. is a computer for students, teachers, grandparents, children, artists, makers, hackers, and inventors. Everyone really. C.H.I.P. is a great way to add a computer to your life and the perfect way to power your computer based projects.

It's a nice project, sure. Personally I'd rather pay a bit more though to get more power, seems silly and out of proportion to spend 9$ for the processing and much more on input devices and display.

Can somebody tell me how to edit my signature? I have the specs of my 2008 PC there and would like to update them to reflect my 2014 build. Thanks.

It's a nice project, sure. Personally I'd rather pay a bit more though to get more power, seems silly and out of proportion to spend 9$ for the processing and much more on input devices and display.

Think about the fact that you don't need anything more than a tv monitor, keyboard and mouse (bluetooth, even!) to be able to use the $9 computer as-is. Composite output is built in.

It has WiFi, so you can just remote in to it. It's an embedded device anyways, not a PC on a HDMI stick.

Inclusion of a HDMI port would have been nice, especially since it probably could have been done for $1 more. $10 or $15 for VGA and HDMI adapters (which cover the I/O pins!!) are kind of overpriced.

with composite video?

count me in, the one real bummer with the RPi was the inability to use the piles of old VGA monitors around here with it

Crysis .....

Honestly, if Crysis was recompiled and optimized for ARMv7, an ARM Cortex-A15 (depending on iGPU) could potentially run it with ease.
I remember running Crysis on a single-core AMD Athlon 64 3700+ and NVIDIA 6800GT; it didn't run well, but it did run it.

An A15 (and iGPU) has far more computing capabilities than either of those.
It honestly wouldn't shock me if this C.H.I.P. with an A7 actually could run Crysis.

Honestly, if Crysis was recompiled and optimized for ARMv7, an ARM Cortex-A15 (depending on iGPU) could potentially run it with ease.
I remember running Crysis on a single-core AMD Athlon 64 3700+ and NVIDIA 6800GT; it didn't run well, but it did run it.

An A15 (and iGPU) has far more computing capabilities than either of those.
It honestly wouldn't shock me if this C.H.I.P. with an A7 actually could run Crysis.

I don't think this C.H.I.P has the CPU or GPU to provide gaming that a 3700+ and 6800GT. Not close.

I don't quite get the composite out of the base unit. What are people plugging it into?

I don't quite get the composite out of the base unit. What are people plugging it into?

AV jack. Left Audio, Right Audio, Video. They demonstrate it with a picture of a cable coming out of the jack itself.

I don't think this C.H.I.P has the CPU or GPU to provide gaming that a 3700+ and 6800GT. Not close.

The A7 CPU will be a bit behind if all four cores are being used, but the GPU has more computing power and rendering capabilities.
The only downside would be the memory data transfer rate, which is below ~32GB/s which the 6800GT was capable of.

Still, it would be interesting to see if it could do it.

LOL

So with the HDMi output, it would be the same price as the older Raspberry. Any advantages to the C.H.I.P?

Aside from cost, it has more memory and a more powerful CPU than the original Pi.
This makes it more feasible for certain custom projects and tasks.

Back