Internet Explorer’s Successor, Project Spartan, Is Called Microsoft Edge

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft finally dropped the ‘Project Spartan’ moniker and introduced Internet Explorer’s successor, Microsoft Edge this week. Edge will be the primary browser on all Windows 10 devices, while Internet Explorer has been reduced to legacy support.

RTFA said:
Belfiore explained the name as referring to “being on the edge of consuming and creating.”

Suuure. First thing that came to my mind was unfortunately this...

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

So voice command integration which should really have been more robust for a few years...and what, we get to draw on the screen.....can't wait! :rolleyes:

So the new browser is Windows ME... I'm giddy with excitement.:D

I don't think they could of come up with a worse name if they tried.

The fact that they are bundling a browser with the OS just shows they still don't understand what people want at all.

This seems like it could be very intrusive. I just want a browser that can take me to a webpage and leave me alone.

The fact that they are bundling a browser with the OS just shows they still don't understand what people want at all.

Most people just use what comes with the OS.

On Android that is whatever stockish browser comes with the overlay or Chrome. On iOS it is Safari. Most people don't have a "want" out of a web browser other than for it to to simply work.

It is you who doesn't understand what people want.

On Android that is whatever stockish browser comes with the overlay or Chrome. On iOS it is Safari. Most people don't have a "want" out of a web browser other than for it to to simply work.

So this is why IE is used on 100% of Windows desktops right? Oh wait it's not, people use IE to go download browsers they actually want.

On Android that is whatever stockish browser comes with the overlay or Chrome. On iOS it is Safari. Most people don't have a "want" out of a web browser other than for it to to simply work. As shown with Chrome and Firefox that making your web browser multiplatform and mostly open source is the way to go.

According to this about ~35% of people are installing web browsers. Safari and IE are controlling ~60%. Not saying you're wrong but if Microsoft is trying to prevent Chrome or FireFox from capturing their IE market then limiting their web browser to Windows 10 isn't going to do it.

ie_market_share_april_2015.png

Shipping an OS without a Web browser would be idiotic and a pain in the arse...

I've been playing with the Windows 10 tech preview and I'm pretty unimpressed with what I see with the new spartan browser. We'l see what future builds look like.

Microsoft has no choice but to provide legacy IE support in Windows or no enterprise will touch the new OS with a 10 foot pole. At the same time, the Web is moving a 1000 changes an hour, so they need flexibility to modernize and try new things to stay competitive. I don't think they had a choice but to fork into two browsers, though many will find it confusing I suspect.

Microsoft edge will confuse tons of users who have spent the last two decades looking for Internet Explorer. I kind of wish they renamed the current IE browser and kept calling the new browser Internet Explorer...

If you like music, stay away from Edge. It cant multi-task. I have 8 cores and 8GB of RAM, but Edge fails to play Pandora if its minimized. Windows 95 could multi-task better then this shit. Also, if its loading a slow page, you cant do ANYTHING till its done loading. This is a HUGE step backwards in an effort to "unify" with mobile computers that have limited RAM, CPU, and battery, and desktops loose out in this.

Microsoft has no choice but to provide legacy IE support in Windows or no enterprise will touch the new OS with a 10 foot pole.

No enterprise will.

Seriously, most enterprises.institutions just finished deprecating WinXP out of offices if not production hardware (like manufacturing that only can use WinXP)...If you just spent a few million USD and years finishing deploying Win7 only a year or two ago, why on Earth would you even think about pushing 10 out?

According to this about ~35% of people are installing web browsers. Safari and IE are controlling ~60%. Not saying you're wrong but if Microsoft is trying to prevent Chrome or FireFox from capturing their IE market then limiting their web browser to Windows 10 isn't going to do it.

ie_market_share_april_2015.png

How much of that are imbedded devices or the default system browser that opens when an application opens a web interface window?
How much of that are Enterprise machines where downloading and installing another browser is against policy or directly prohibited?

If you like music, stay away from Edge. It cant multi-task. I have 8 cores and 8GB of RAM, but Edge fails to play Pandora if its minimized. Windows 95 could multi-task better then this shit. Also, if its loading a slow page, you cant do ANYTHING till its done loading. This is a HUGE step backwards in an effort to "unify" with mobile computers that have limited RAM, CPU, and battery, and desktops loose out in this.

Beta version, I am sure you have heard of it?

Windows 10 is close to launch, Beta should be stable by this point or they don't have a shot at making a decent RTM release.

They're not done adding features....they ain't close to launch. Not unless they mean to not bug test.

This is the default behavior or universal apps, they suspend themselves in the background to conserve power which is actually a concern for any battery powered device. And unlike Windows 95, the bulk of devices that Windows 10 will run on are at least sometimes running only on battery.

However is possible for universal apps to continue certain background tasks like audio playback. The first release of the new music app did the same thing and that's been corrected in the latest version. I sure the threading issues will be resolved as well.

They're not done adding features....they ain't close to
launch. Not unless they mean to not bug test.

Even this last build isn't feature complete for what is supposed to go RTM. And a summer launch could still be as much as four months away. So close, but not imminent at this point.

I might give ME a chance, but I am not putting my hopes up, since IE has been massive fail one version after the other after IE6.

The average person doesn't go out and install firefox or chrome or whatever on purpose. Their friend / family member who helped them setup the machine did that as IE is th3 d3v1l and shouldn't be used. Or they installed some program and it installed firefox, chrome or whatever as part of its install along with 25 other tool bars and they have it.

http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpe...ploads/2015/05/ie_market_share_april_2015.png

It might also be useful to remember that a lot of 3rd party software offers to install Chrome and a Google toolbar for IE and there are a lot of people out there who don't pay attention and just click "Yes" or "OK" over and over which leaves Chrome on their computer as the default browser. We don't have stats to account for that portion of the browser market, but since FireFox is bundled far less often with other applications, I think you're likely to see a comparable percentage of Chrome were it not embedded in popular programs (like Flash Player or Adobe Reader).

The average person doesn't go out and install firefox or chrome or whatever on purpose. Their friend / family member who helped them setup the machine did that as IE is th3 d3v1l and shouldn't be used. Or they installed some program and it installed firefox, chrome or whatever as part of its install along with 25 other tool bars and they have it.

Somebody understands reality.

So this is why IE is used on 100% of Windows desktops right? Oh wait it's not, people use IE to go download browsers they actually want.

And if they didn't bundle one,
computer illiterate everywhere would not be able to access the internet at all.

Granted, that could be a good thing.

For the record Edge scores higher, in almost all known browser benchmarks, than both chrome and firefox, and of course IE11. Right now they are at roughly 90% compliance with ES6 and still working on it. I talked to a couple of guys on the "Edge" team at build last week, and they specifically reiterated that performance and security are paramount to ALL other metrics. This is not just a re-factor of IE code, this is a ground up re-write of the entire browser. They initially started with a fork of the IE11 code, and removed all of the legacy garbage. At that point however rather than use the existing code they used it as a baseline for functionality of an entirely new code base with interoperability, security, and performance in mind. There might be some things shared so as not to re-invent the wheel, but there is very little that is the same.

Anyhow, my point is, MS has conceded that IE sucked ass and did what everybody thought they should have done after the disaster that was IE8. This is a good thing, especially for those folks that don't give a shit about their browser (old folks and non techie people). It means less of us will have to spend countless hours cleaning viruses off our lesser tech inclined friends/families computers. By the way, they are also doing the same with windows 10 universal apps making heavy use of software virtualization.

I'd totally love to believe that there will be fewer exploits, one of the things you can promise about software is that someone will find a way to break it and infect a computer and yup, that includes breaking out of the virtualized environment to infect the host machine (which can already be done now anywho). That doesn't mean that developers should just like give up or anything, but the countless hours of cleaning viruses aren't gonna go away.

In my office, about 1/2 of the people only know how to browse the internet one way - they click that little globe that says "the Internet."
I don't think they're alone. The better off that browser is, the better off we'll all be.
I played around with Spartan/Edge this weekend and I think it's pretty good. It's definitely quick and it renders/zooms well. It probably won't replace Chrome for me, but I won't rule it out.

I'd totally love to believe that there will be fewer exploits, one of the things you can promise about software is that someone will find a way to break it and infect a computer and yup, that includes breaking out of the virtualized environment to infect the host machine (which can already be done now anywho). That doesn't mean that developers should just like give up or anything, but the countless hours of cleaning viruses aren't gonna go away.

I agree, it wont go away completely, but it will be dramatically reduced especially in environments where less attention is paid to security, like your grandmas computer. It goes beyond just the browser though, they are taking this approach whole OS. Its not just protection from exploits and viruses but also rogue apps that like to junk up your registry and are impossible to clean off completely or cause issues with other programs. The end result is better stability as well as security. I'm not saying it will be better than other platforms that already take this sort of approach, just that it will be significantly better than previous versions of Windows.

It means less of us will have to spend countless hours cleaning viruses off our lesser tech inclined friends/families computers. By the way, they are also doing the same with windows 10 universal apps making heavy use of software virtualization.

If they wanted more people to use Edge and do safer computing, they should make it more readily available to users of Windows 7 and 8.

If they wanted more people to use Edge and do safer computing, they should make it more readily available to users of Windows 7 and 8.

I'm not sure that's even possible. Edge uses some software virtualization APIs that are only available in Windows 10. That said, they are providing a windows 10 upgrade to all Windows 8 users for free. Not sure what their plans are regarding windows 7, although if you haven't upgraded to windows 8.1 from 7 at this point you're really missing out. I understand why people had issues with 8, but 8.1 fixed a lot of that and 8.1 in general is much more stable and performant than 7 ever was. Mind you windows 7 is over 6 years old at this point, a lot has changed since 2009, and there really is no reason not to upgrade at this point.

Mind you windows 7 is over 6 years old at this point, a lot has changed since 2009, and there really is no reason not to upgrade at this point.

There's always reasons but for the average consumer there'll be fewer reasons not to go from 7 to 10 than for 7 to 8.x.

For the record Edge scores higher, in almost all known browser benchmarks, than both chrome and firefox, and of course IE11. Right now they are at roughly 90% compliance with ES6 and still working on it. I talked to a couple of guys on the "Edge" team at build last week, and they specifically reiterated that performance and security are paramount to ALL other metrics. This is not just a re-factor of IE code, this is a ground up re-write of the entire browser. They initially started with a fork of the IE11 code, and removed all of the legacy garbage. At that point however rather than use the existing code they used it as a baseline for functionality of an entirely new code base with interoperability, security, and performance in mind. There might be some things shared so as not to re-invent the wheel, but there is very little that is the same.

Anyhow, my point is, MS has conceded that IE sucked ass and did what everybody thought they should have done after the disaster that was IE8. This is a good thing, especially for those folks that don't give a shit about their browser (old folks and non techie people). It means less of us will have to spend countless hours cleaning viruses off our lesser tech inclined friends/families computers. By the way, they are also doing the same with windows 10 universal apps making heavy use of software virtualization.

I appreciate all of that, but unless that list includes add-on support for things like ad and script block. Frankly it's going to be a giant waste of time in the eyes of the tech savvy. I'll tolerate it in enterprise and I'll avoid using it assert all costs otherwise.

I'm not sure that's even possible. Edge uses some software virtualization APIs that are only available in Windows 10. That said, they are providing a windows 10 upgrade to all Windows 8 users for free. Not sure what their plans are regarding windows 7, although if you haven't upgraded to windows 8.1 from 7 at this point you're really missing out. I understand why people had issues with 8, but 8.1 fixed a lot of that and 8.1 in general is much more stable and performant than 7 ever was. Mind you windows 7 is over 6 years old at this point, a lot has changed since 2009, and there really is no reason not to upgrade at this point.

"Its using some virtualization blah blah" - bullshit. The point still stands - Internet Edgeplorer will only work on one version of one platform. Good luck on adoption.

Business and enterprise are the biggest factor, and not only is Windows 10 not a "free upgrade" for them, but most business and enterprise wouldn't "upgrade" to Windows 10 even if it was free for them.

I can come up with a laundry list of reasons not to upgrade from win 7 to win 8.x. the most important being there is zero compelling reason to especially with 10 around the corner. Why put up with any of its garbage. Sure it's mostly fixed, but far from completely and honestly unless your computer is shit there isn't enough real performance difference to care.

How much of that are imbedded devices or the default system browser that opens when an application opens a web interface window?
How much of that are Enterprise machines where downloading and installing another browser is against policy or directly prohibited?

How many machines have firefox or chrome installed by some person who claims to know better than the owner? Seriously I see shit tons of that go on. Especially on windows where the default install makes the user an admin so any idiot can sit down and install anything they want on a machine. Where I work there is no central control for computers so everyone does their own thing and a lot of computers are serviced by whom ever works in that area and you get whatever their bias is forced on everyone else.

How many people were tricked into installing and defaulting chrome by java or any other program it came embedded with?

The argument goes both ways. I and most people who have something to do could care less what browser we use so long as it works or speeds up my day.

"Its using some virtualization blah blah" - bullshit. The point still stands - Internet Edgeplorer will only work on one version of one platform. Good luck on adoption.

Business and enterprise are the biggest factor, and not only is Windows 10 not a "free upgrade" for them, but most business and enterprise wouldn't "upgrade" to Windows 10 even if it was free for them.

Edge is a universal windows app, so in theory as the support on other platforms matures (Mono) it should be possible to run it there. That said I have no idea if MS has any intention of releasing any installation binaries or anything, such that it could be installed separately. I wouldn't be surprised if they did though given the 'theme' of the other announcements they made this year. After all they doing Office 365 on both android and ios, so who knows?

Ooops, pardon the post, was just testing pen input on my Surface 3 and hit the wrong button.:eek:

Ooops, pardon the post, was just testing pen input on my Surface 3 and hit the wrong button.:eek:

Translation: I needed an excuse to let everyone know what I just bought so I staged a "mistake" that lets me cleverly tell everybody.

You know, I read in a psychological journal that it's generally better to seek approval for a purchase from people you can see on a face-to-face basis so that you can get the nonverbal components of communication. That might help you put aside any guilt of lurking buyer's remorse over allocating limited resources to your device addiction that could be better served in your or your family's long term financial future. That is unless the people you know in real life are as uninterested in what you buy as we are. In that case, IDK, maybe try telling a pet or a plush toy?

Microsoft edge will confuse tons of users who have spent the last two decades looking for Internet Explorer. I kind of wish they renamed the current IE browser and kept calling the new browser Internet Explorer...

They've made it perfectly clear, IE isn't going anywhere, and Edge will be installable from the store if you want it. The only people making it confusing are people making assumptions about their plans like this.

Back