Microsoft Bought 'Minecraft' Because It's Perfect for HoloLens

I thought it was because of this

0455974_1281_MC_Tx360.jpg

The promo video for hololens looks pretty awesome.. Basically my daughter could sit on the floor and play Minecraft instead of legos.. So when it's time to clean up she just takes the glasses off and puts them on the charger.. I'm in for 1.

I get the feeling that it will not actually look anything like that for at least the first few generations of the product. If it does actually look that good, I might be in for one as well.

I'm still worried this is going to start messing with peoples eyes in a prolonged exposure setting. I don't like the 3ds for that very reason, My brain just doesn't want to process that faux 3d image.

This is how it looks like in the advert, wait for the actual version with lag, jitters and infuriatingly bad user interface where you make gestures in the air and get 1 from 10 attempts right lol.

Apparently none of you nagging sons of bitches have taken the time to actually read any of the reviews that have been out for a few days now.

Basically, it's all they're saying, just like the demos, except it's not view encompassing.

One thing I noticed in that artcle...

For architecture firms, this would allow the ability to iterate and see changes in real time, rather than rely on costly 3D models, which can take weeks to build.

Render in real-time OR costly 3D images... are they implying you can only do real-time rendering with HoloLens?

Some of it is very impressive and would be useful but most of it is no better than using a standard desktop computer. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be... much like the computing industry's obsession with adding computers to everything so it can be on the 'cloud'.

I'm still worried this is going to start messing with peoples eyes in a prolonged exposure setting. I don't like the 3ds for that very reason, My brain just doesn't want to process that faux 3d image.

works diffrent then that
likely they use an IPD setting like with the rift which

incorrect IPD is where most of the eye issues with 3D come from next is focal distance
again like with the rift likely its set at infinity so its no worse then looking at clouds

Still retarded. How hard would it be to make a game similar to minecraft for less than $2.5 billion? Me thinks there was some back door handshakes going on for that deal.

Still retarded. How hard would it be to make a game similar to minecraft for less than $2.5 billion? Me thinks there was some back door handshakes going on for that deal.

they wanted the name and fan base
easier to just buy some thing already out there then try to build it up

He was looking to sell. Someone was going to write a large check, maybe not a 2.5 billion check but it was going to be well north of a billion.

Part of the reason they bought Minecraft because they wanted to turn it into an educational platform for schools to help get kids interested in development (on the MS platform).

The promo video for hololens looks pretty awesome.. Basically my daughter could sit on the floor and play Minecraft instead of legos.. So when it's time to clean up she just takes the glasses off and puts them on the charger.. I'm in for 1.

No more stepping on those damn lego pieces right?

The biggest fail in this thing is user interface. In the demo things just happened automatically like the UI would intuitively understand what the user wants to do and where in the 3D space. It can't work like this in reality.

He was looking to sell. Someone was going to write a large check, maybe not a 2.5 billion check but it was going to be well north of a billion.

I think the math worked out that if MS did nothing other than keep adding new content to MC, they would probably lose about a billion dollars on the deal. That is pretty cheap for a very large fan base. But even more so, if they play their cards right, they could have a "generational game" which spells big $ in any market.

Just to show off the Hololens? They could have bought a knock off competitor or brewed their own to make the point. Poor use of money if pushing Hololens was the main reason.

Back