Windows 10 Builds to Continue After Microsoft Ships It

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This gives the phrase ongoing project an entirely new meaning for Microsoft Windows. Windows 10 is looking more and more like the last ‘free standing’ version of Windows and will become more like Microsoft Office, being updated constantly rather than staggered periodic releases.

This is an entirely new way for Microsoft to develop and release software, more like Google's ongoing Chrome builds than anything else.

That's not a bad idea. They can do what PC game companies are already doing by selling access to pre-alpha software that's slowly upgraded over time into a stable, functional game. If this is really how it'll be, this pretty much verifies some of the guessing about how Windows 10 really isn't a final product in the current test builds, but is close to the intended release date.

That's not a bad idea. They can do what PC game companies are already doing by selling access to pre-alpha software that's slowly upgraded over time into a stable, functional game. If this is really how it'll be, this pretty much verifies some of the guessing about how Windows 10 really isn't a final product in the current test builds, but is close to the intended release date.

They will not release an unstable OS to the masses. Nor will they release a beta OS to RTM either. They would sooner delay it but there is nothing to worry about.

Besides, what do you care, you are not going to use or support it anyways.

They will not release an unstable OS to the masses. Nor will they release a beta OS to RTM either. They would sooner delay it but there is nothing to worry about.

Besides, what do you care, you are not going to use or support it anyways.

There's no reason to get defensive. I guess it was a bad comparison to use a video game. I meant more like incomplete with respect to features and capabilities rather than buggy or unreliable with the reduced set of capabilities it would be released with in its present state.

There's no reason to get defensive. I guess it was a bad comparison to use a video game. I meant more like incomplete with respect to features and capabilities rather than buggy or unreliable with the reduced set of capabilities it would be released with in its present state.

Ok. Well, it really seems we will have to wait less time to get new features since we don't need to wait for a new OS.

I say it can only be a good thing....if it helps them make a better os and for me win 10 even in its current state is pretty nice....very impressive for such a large company to turn things around from there mistakes with win 8

This gives the phrase ongoing project an entirely new meaning for Microsoft Windows. Windows 10 is looking more and more like the last ‘free standing’ version of Windows and will become more like Microsoft Office, being updated constantly rather than staggered periodic releases.

What this means is we are well on the road to MS charging us licensing every year. You can already see it with Office 365.

MS has been F'ing it up with patches on windows 8.1. And now we're going to have constant updates. Wont be long before one of those updates breaks your system and have to do a reinstall.

MS has been F'ing it up with patches on windows 8.1. And now we're going to have constant updates. Wont be long before one of those updates breaks your system and have to do a reinstall.

Shit happens w/ Apple all the time. In return, less hacks and viruses... :eek:

basically what Apple does with OSX. Im perfectly fine with this approach.

Personally, I like controlling my system's upgrade cycle. The last thing I want would be to have say the windows 7 interface, then wake up to find that my system updated itself to the Windows 8 interface overnight.

I say it can only be a good thing....if it helps them make a better os and for me win 10 even in its current state is pretty nice....very impressive for such a large company to turn things around from there mistakes with win 8

Whether or not anything has been "turned around" remains to be seen. And I'd also warn that launching prematurely with the intention to "fix it later" or "we'll just add that in Windows
10.1", is just more of the same Windows 8 bullshit of fix-later.

Windows 10 needs to be feature complete and solid on day one or it'll get skewered.

basically what Apple does with OSX. Im perfectly fine with this approach.

People often bring up "well Apple does it" and "why is it okay for Apple then" when trying to argue things ilke MS trying to herd everyone into their online/cloud bullshit. The flaw in those arguments ofcourse is there's a reason why we're all running Windows and not OSX.

People often bring up "well Apple does it" and "why is it okay for Apple then" when trying to argue things ilke MS trying to herd everyone into their online/cloud bullshit. The flaw in those arguments ofcourse is there's a reason why we're all running Windows and not OSX.

But the reason why there are many more Windows machines than OSX has little to do with "online/cloud bullshit".

lol, MS seems to have given up on corporate desktops. As if a poorly conceived tablet/desktop hybrid wasn't bad enough, dribbling out completeness isn't going to win over many corporate fans.

lol, MS seems to have given up on corporate desktops. As if a poorly conceived tablet/desktop hybrid wasn't bad enough, dribbling out completeness isn't going to win over many corporate fans.

LoL... What IT manager/anybody doesn't like a moving target to maintain and troubleshoot issues?

Microsoft has addressed corporate environments and the ability to pick and choose these updates will be available. And as for the desktop UI experience in Windows 10, it's actually pretty decent. You get task bars on all displays like Windows 8.x. The task view and multiple desktops are a welcome if long overdue addition. And FINALLY user settable independent monitor scaling that actually works!

LoL... What IT manager/anybody doesn't like a moving target to maintain and troubleshoot issues?

The desktop strategy for any competent IT Manager, CIO and/or IT decisionmaker is and will continue to be Windows 7, period.

c2508255a3f9ee927d19d17194493505bbfcf11d5d1aeb6299893389a804d694.jpg

Yep ongoing upgrades bug patches and improvements is the way to do it. Cudos to Microsoft's new CEO. Ballmer? Who dat? :D

Personally, I like controlling my system's upgrade cycle. The last thing I want would be to have say the windows 7 interface, then wake up to find that my system updated itself to the Windows 8 interface overnight.

So? When was the last time your OS magically updated itself to another version overnight? (Without user interaction.)

Whether or not anything has been "turned around" remains to be seen. And I'd also warn that launching prematurely with the intention to "fix it later" or "we'll just add that in Windows
10.1", is just more of the same Windows 8 bullshit of fix-later.

Windows 10 needs to be feature complete and solid on day one or it'll get skewered.

There is no Windows 10.1 and there never will be. Windows 10 is the last version of Microsoft's iconic OS. From no on it will be updated periodically like the software on your smartphone. Microsoft will make it's money on PC sales smartphone sale etc. :cool:

There is no Windows 10.1 and there never will be. Windows 10 is the last version of Microsoft's iconic OS. From no on it will be updated periodically like the software on your smartphone. Microsoft will make it's money on PC sales smartphone sale etc. :cool:

I kind of doubt that. Windows 10 will be updated for frequently compared to prior versions of Windows with new features and enhancements but I think Microsoft will still have major OS releases to whatever major enhancements they decide to do. And to keep interest in the OS and marketing purposes. Major Windows releases always get a lot of attention.

Nothing like having a major update bring down several hundred systems, or break one of the major company applications every user needs to accesses, to ruin your day. :(

I see this as more of a problem for small/medium businesses, as they generally don't have the staff to test every update or the network/software to control the roll-out of updates to desktops.

If Microsoft isn't careful about this, it could cause businesses to stay on Window 7 for a very long time.

Good thing you clearly have no understanding of the corporate desktop. For that matter, you have no understanding of Windows 10 either. The functions that corporate desktops will need will be available day one and I have seen nothing that says otherwise.

Also, corporate desktops will end up being frozen to one specific OS build and will not receive the yearly updates. (That is, unless they are needed.) They have not given up on the corporate desktop at all despite your seemingly incorrect understanding of what is going on.

If they can fix all the issues that get reported with a new build instead of the monthly patches on the fly that is not bad at all.
If this becomes true then every few months or less you will get a small "service pack" in a sense.

....The task view and multiple desktops are a welcome if long overdue addition....

WOW... really?! Because that's the one thing since 1997 that i've always wanted... multiple desktops on a windows operating system that i can freely swap between application windows with!

(sarcasm, for the slow amongst us).

MSFT may have more control over the industry now. They'll be able to make your computer require a new CPU, new RAM etc. just to have a usable computer.

What this means is we are well on the road to MS charging us licensing every year. You can already see it with Office 365.

Oh couse it does. /sarcasm Do folks even think through things like this at all? It is never going to happen.

As long as there are no "full version" revisions like 8.1 I'll be happy.

Keep it coming in normal updates and that's fine.

However, MS needs to fix the updates system as since Windows 8 it's been terrible.

I get fed up seeing -

"You are installing 42 updates....0% Completed!" for hours then it switches to 100%, then craps out and you have to start again.

It worked fine in XP/Vista/7 so what's the hassle with 8/8.1?

Oh couse it does. /sarcasm Do folks even think through things like this at all? It is never going to happen.

I now have so many devices I'm quite keen on going subscription to stay up to date.

Computing for me is like a domestic utility now and quite frankly I'd be happy to pay subs so all my devices keep ticking along.

With regular releases buying a new separate version every two years for all my devices isn't going to work.

Let me pay £100 a year for 5 devices and be done with it.

Nothing like having a major update bring down several hundred systems, or break one of the major company applications every user needs to accesses, to ruin your day. :(

I see this as more of a problem for small/medium businesses, as they generally don't have the staff to test every update or the network/software to control the roll-out of updates to desktops.

If Microsoft isn't careful about this, it could cause businesses to stay on Window 7 for a very long time.

Agreed. Testing and controlling the updates roll-out will become even more important than it is now already.

Not looking this idea at all for enterprise. Very weird stuff coming from MS lately.

Back