Xbox Game Streaming Demonstrated At Build

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Microsoft is getting into the game streaming business now too.

Now let’s be honest. This is certainly not the first game streaming that has been announced, and some companies already have shipping solutions for this. Steam for instance can game stream from you desktop PC with a GPU to another lighter weight PC. There are also solutions that will stream from your PC to your TV for playing games on the couch.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with in-home streaming is that even with the advances of WirelessAC (which don't get me wrong is awesome), you still really need a wired cat6 gigabit network to keep input lag reasonable.

And then I'm thinking to myself, OK guy, if you're running all this cat6 through your house, why not just run HDMI over ethernet in the first place and be done with it? Then you don't even need a client system, and can run 4K without compression with just a USB+IR+HDMI over ethernet solution. IMO perhaps that's the best way to go so you have one powerful machine in a ventilated closet with your router, and just wire out cat6 to the rooms from there.

For me for now, I found that I was able to fit my old 7970 without issue along with a 240mm watercooler on a 4790K in a tiny slim Azza HTPC case and not have to worry about compromises until the tech matures. Its small and silent, just not the cheapest solution.

And for the record, this is completely and utterly retarded backwards. Why would you want to stream from a POS xbox to a computer???

The obvious solution would be to use a cheap xbox as the receiving client, with a powerful gaming PC serving it.

This would be like if Blaster tried to ride Master's back... so yeah, I'm not feeling it. Embargo on!
master-blaster.jpg

Once again Microsoft lives up to it's motto of 'Why innovate when sticking your hand up 6 months later and saying "me too" will do'.

I hope they expand it to more than just Windows 10. I can game stream my PS4 and PC to my Nvidia Shield android tablet no problem and it works great. Been playing Bloodborne and MKX during my down time at work with no lag on a 5-10mbps network.

Once again Microsoft lives up to it's motto of 'Why innovate when sticking your hand up 6 months later and saying "me too" will do'.

I know what you mean. After all, after the first TV was produced, everything and everybody was saying "me too" will do. :rolleyes:

And for the record, this is completely and utterly retarded backwards. Why would you want to stream from a POS xbox to a computer???

The obvious solution would be to use a cheap xbox as the receiving client, with a powerful gaming PC serving it.

This would be like if Blaster tried to ride Master's back... so yeah, I'm not feeling it. Embargo on!
master-blaster.jpg

This argument only rings true if your streaming from an Xbox to the sort of PC people around here are accustomed to using. On the other hand if you are streaming from an Xbox to something like an atom powered tablet or an ultrabook class piece of hardware then it makes a lot more sense.

It's not dissimilar to Nintendo's gamepad streaming for the Wii U. Someone could continue to play their Xbox game while the TV is in use by simply slinging the output to a Surface 3 or something similar. Nobody is reasonably expecting people with high end machines to make use of this stuff.

I hope they expand it to more than just Windows 10. I can game stream my PS4 and PC to my Nvidia Shield android tablet no problem and it works great. Been playing Bloodborne and MKX during my down time at work with no lag on a 5-10mbps network.

I find that hard to believe because I do notice the lag no matter the network.

Because Microsoft wants you to game on Xbox, not the PC.

The lag on the local network isn't a factor. When was the last time you saw a ping request report more than sub 1ms between two local hosts? The latency comes from the time to encode and decode the high bitrate h.264 stream.

With the level of government regulation they have, it comes to a surprise if Microsoft can innovate anything without someone else crying foul about it. Pretty much landing MS in hot water yet again.

Meanwhile, the other console does remote play from China to Mississippi http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/34iwgg/ps4_infamous_remote_play_mississippi_to_china/

And well enough for the non-timing critical games (Bloodborne) to remain very playable

That's good for those who would use this. Of course, you would have to have a pretty decent upload speed to be able to make good use of this. (That is, unless, the resolution on the remote device is low enough that it does not matter as much.) I am glad to see both consoles innovating on their respective platforms.

One step at a time, one piece of the puzzle at a time. I am certainly going to try this out just to see what happens.

I always dreamed about spending more money on my PC to make myself feel better than others. :D

Nice value-add for existing Xbox One owners, but worthless for PC gamers. I'm not going to buy an Xbox One and pay a monthly fee for multi-player just so I can play a couple exclusives on my PC monitor.

Fine, maybe like in the 50-100ms range, more than an HDTV but it's definitely playable. I can execute combos in mortal kombat no problem, and this coming from a guy who still has a CRT to play competitive smash melee.

The biggest problem with in-home streaming is that even with the advances of WirelessAC (which don't get me wrong is awesome), you still really need a wired cat6 gigabit network to keep input lag reasonable.

And then I'm thinking to myself, OK guy, if you're running all this cat6 through your house, why not just run HDMI over ethernet in the first place and be done with it? Then you don't even need a client system, and can run 4K without compression with just a USB+IR+HDMI over ethernet solution. IMO perhaps that's the best way to go so you have one powerful machine in a ventilated closet with your router, and just wire out cat6 to the rooms from there.

For me for now, I found that I was able to fit my old 7970 without issue along with a 240mm watercooler on a 4790K in a tiny slim Azza HTPC case and not have to worry about compromises until the tech matures. Its small and silent, just not the cheapest solution.

Because running a single strand of Cat6 is not even remotely the same amount of effort as running enough strands for hdmi,usb,video,audio over ethernet as well as wiring all the respective ports and not to mention the sheer cost. That's why. Also factor in that being able to play said Pc if streamed out of a single location in multiple locations is Significantly more difficult...I think you completely overlooked the use case of what this is aimed at in some attempt to play the PC master race bullshit card.

This argument only rings true if your streaming from an Xbox to the sort of PC people around here are accustomed to using. On the other hand if you are streaming from an Xbox to something like an atom powered tablet or an ultrabook class piece of hardware then it makes a lot more sense.

Exactly. This isn't so much for PC gamers but folks with run of the mill non-gaming PC, which is most of them, and an XBox.

Back