Meet DORA, The Remote Presence Robot

Seems pretty functional, but I see a few issues:

1.) I'm curious what the view actually looks like - I'm noticing a ton of shaking, so I suspect there's a ton of nausea to go along with that...

2.) What is it like actually remotely used? It's moving pretty much in time with his head and body onsite, but with a minimal delay, but halfway around the world?

3.) How do you cover all those moving parts? Without some kind of rubber gasket, which I suspect would look pretty creepy, it will likely all be exposed.

Am I the only one that thinks this sort of technology is purely for people so far up their own ass that they can't be bothered to just show up in person and instead will waste millions of dollars developing technology that will both never work as well as it needs to and do nothing but prove how far they are up their own asses.

If you can't be bothered to go somewhere, send someone else.

Am I the only one that thinks this sort of technology is purely for people so far up their own ass that they can't be bothered to just show up in person and instead will waste millions of dollars developing technology that will both never work as well as it needs to and do nothing but prove how far they are up their own asses.

If you can't be bothered to go somewhere, send someone else.

It probably has like cost benefits in the long term. Like you buy a robotic telepresence system and instead of traveling someplace to wander around and interact with people onsite, you'd just connect to your robot and do it instead. There are other companies already fielding remotely operated robotic conference systems and it can be lots less expensive than a lot of airline travel. Stuff like this can also bolster the whole virtual tourism thing.

The only problem is that they're using Facebook's VR goggles and there's no longevity in tying to VR technologies from that company.

Stereo 360 camera mounted on an articulated arm makes this obsolete with the exception of remote controlling a robot within range of people who would benefit from seeing where the robot is looking, which will probably be a useful thing in the future.

So does this mean on top of drones we can now send a remote controlled Terminator into war zones?

Back