PPPoA Modem Bridging to PPPoE Router?

Draxanoth

Gawd
So I have a weird scenario I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I've had issues with my connection to Centurylink (Qwest was bulletproof... the clowns we have post merger make me want to hulk smash.) and they tell me both of my current Centurylink modems are bad, as well as the 2 replacements they sent under warranty. They suggested I avoid the Zyxel series altogether, and buy a new one. They seem unwilling to work on the line until then. So, I bought a new modem, totally avoiding their sketchy products altogether. Unfortunately the number of newer ADSL2+ modems on the market are few, the best of the modem only flavor seemed to be the Netgear DM111PSPv2, so I bought one.

I get the DM111PSPv2 home, connect it all up, and find out it's not really "modem only" and has the ability to act as a single host router. I'm a little annoyed to discover this, but I see there is a modem only mode I can flip it to, where my existing PPPOE setup on my ASUS N66 should just take over, right? :mad: Nope.

Finding that modem only mode didn't work I set up the DM111PSPv2 as a modem/router just to make sure it works with Centurylink at all, and it does. It auto configured to LLC with PPPoA authentication. Connecting my router's WAN port to the modem afterwards also works, but then my router is behind the DM111PSPv2's NAT, which makes all the services built into the ASUS that require a WAN IP, such as DDNS reporting, unusable.

My question is this, does anyone know why my PPPoE config on my ASUS N66 works with my Centurylink modem/routers in bridge mode, but not with the DM111PSPv2 in bridge mode? Do the Centurylink modem/routers perform some sort of PPPoE to PPPoA translation that this DM111PSPv2 must not be? I assume the ASUS router isn't supposed to be capable of PPPoA directly correct? It doesn't show that as an option in the WAN setup for my ASUS router. Isn't PPPoA an analog line only signal?

Theoretically I could just return it I guess after I prove my line is bad and the modems aren't the issue, going back to using a Centurylink modem/router in bridge mode, but if I can get away from Centurylink products that appear to have management access back-doors built in, I would prefer to do so. I need bridge mode to work though, especially for DDNS when my line goes down 20 times a day and I can't get a static IP... my poor home cloud. =(

Thank you for your time.

Drax

Assuming ADSL2+ Service and not the VDSL service:

Is this one of the modems you had from Century Link? If not, I highly recommend it or you get a used Netopia 3347 from eBay(~$15).

You'll need to change the VPI/VCI in the modem settings (Go here to find the correct VPI/VCI for your zip code)

I've been using various 3347 modems in bridge mode for the past seven years on various ISPs(Qwest, AT&T, Telmex, Telnor) with great success.

Is this one of the modems you had from Century Link? If not, I highly recommend it or you get a used Netopia 3347 from eBay(~$15).

You'll need to change the VPI/VCI in the modem settings (Go here to find the correct VPI/VCI for your zip code)

I've been using various 3347 modems in bridge mode for the past seven years on various ISPs(Qwest, AT&T, Telmex, Telnor) with great success.

Correct, ADSL. It's curious to me that the Netgear auto configured to PPPoA, and operates successfully, but my router operates successfully on PPPoE with my old modem, and Centurylink lists PPPoE as the correct setting on their site. I wondered if this might be my problem.

I've never had a Motorola, I always had the Zyxell or Actiontec PK series provided to me by Qwest/Centurylink. I have concerns about buying a used one since I won't know for sure if it's in perfect operating condition, and I need to prove the line is the problem instead of the modem, but I'll look into it.

You may be able to get Century Link to send you a 3347(I got my first one from Qwest). You could try that. The 3347s have a pretty good signal readings page, which helps in troubleshooting line conditions.

You may be able to get Century Link to send you a 3347(I got my first one from Qwest). You could try that. The 3347s have a pretty good signal readings page, which helps in troubleshooting line conditions.

I'll ask, I sort of thought they were discontinued.

I got the Netgear working! :D

I was looking at that page you linked with the modem settings and I thought to myself "The old router was on PPPoE, this page says PPPoE, why does this modem auto to PPPoA and work, but fail on PPPoE?" I reset the whole thing and configured everything manually, and then finally the modem was working in router/modem mode on PPPoE. I can't explain why, the settings are the same ones I tried before. The only theory I can conjure is maybe running auto config might screw up the ability to manually configure stuff later on this modem?

Resetting everything to factory, and then manually configuring from the start, resulted in a working internet connection on PPPoE. Then when I flipped the modem into "modem only" it allowed my router to pass through successfully. I'm all up and running now, if with a slight headache. :cool:

I appreciate the advice Dew, I'll keep it on file for next time I'm looking for a modem. Apparently I just needed someone to push that Centurylink page in front of me to get the experimental juices flowing so I would try another approach, and it worked.

Thank you.

Back