HyperX Launches New Savage SATA-Based SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
HyperX®, a division of Kingston® Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced HyperX Savage, its next-generation SATA Rev. 3 (6Gb/s) SSD. HyperX Savage is powered by the Phison S10 quad-core, eight-channel controller delivering incredible read/write speeds for both compressible and incompressible data, as well as high IOPS. It replaces the highly successful HyperX 3K SSD.

HyperX Savage is the fastest SATA-based SSD in the HyperX family. With sequential speeds of up to 560MB/s read and 530MB/s write, and IOPS of up to 100,000 read and 89,000 write, HyperX Savage offers higher performance, ultra-responsive multitasking and an overall faster system. It features an eye-catching red steel and aluminum case with a low profile to fit most notebooks, desktops and small-form factor PC builds. This new design continues the HyperX trend as a leader in stylish gaming products.

Some reviews have cropped up, and it looks good. I especially like the TBW/write endurance figures.

TweakTown

Overclockers

Bjorn3D

TBW figures:
120GB - 113TB
240GB - 306TB
480GB - 416TB
960GB - 681TB

Looks like the revered 850 Evo has some serious competition, and at comparable pricing up to the 480-500GB capacity realm, to boot. 850 Evo 1TB is significantly cheaper than the 960GB Savage, but we'll likely see pricing between the two reach a closer point of equilibrium in the near future...and I'm sure we can expect some bad-ass sale prices popping up for one or the other from time to time.

The bundle kit appears to be quite complete - 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure, USB cable, SATA cable, and some other goodies to allow it to be used as an external SSD or replace an existing internal 2.5" HDD and use the old drive externally. Not a huge price jump for the bundle kits over their bare drive counterparts, either. Some good value there.

After reading the reviews, I think Kingston has hit another grand slam with this latest SSD bearing the HyperX moniker, just as the others have before it bearing the same lineup namesake.

"Comparable pricing" referencing non-rebate/non-sale prices. There are so many 240 GB SSD drives right now that are on some form of special every other day/week it seems. The early adopters paying the MSRP or near-MSRP price can do so and enjoy what they are getting. Lots of us will go buy other SSD drives cheaper and enjoy pretty similar performance.

"Comparable pricing" referencing non-rebate/non-sale prices. There are so many 240 GB SSD drives right now that are on some form of special every other day/week it seems. The early adopters paying the MSRP or near-MSRP price can do so and enjoy what they are getting. Lots of us will go buy other SSD drives cheaper and enjoy pretty similar performance.

At this point, it's foolish NOT to. And, luckily for us as consumers, It's been that way for a while now, regardless of capacity point being considered. Price war pissing contests are exactly why I'm running the following SSD's across all my different systems:

Main Gaming System:
*Crucial M4 256GB
*Seagate 600 480GB

Primary Laptop:
*Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB

Work Laptop:
*Crucial MX100 256GB

HTPC/Kids Computer:
*PNY Optima 240GB

Another Laptop:
*Toshiba Q-series 256GB

Backup PC:
*Plextor M3 256GB

Yet Another Laptop (sold it and the SSD a while back):
*Samsung 830 128GB

To me, it's always been counter-intuitive to run out and pay the exorbitant window-sticker prices on any SSD when the market is completely saturated with so many different brands and models to choose from. With SSDs, a little patience to catch a huge sale/closeout/rebate pays off big time....and that's exactly why I stated that I expect to see some bad-ass sale prices on these newcomers.

Expensive sata :rolleyes:
g.png

Subjective opinion. :rolleyes:

Looks like the revered 850 Evo has some serious competition,
ever since I tried out RAPID mode I'm not looking at anything but Samsung SSDs. Does Kingston have an identical feature by any chance?

ever since I tried out RAPID mode I'm not looking at anything but Samsung SSDs. Does Kingston have an identical feature by any chance?

Not that I'm aware of. Plextor does with their M6 drives, IIRC. I think there are some stand-alone SSD DRAM caching programs available that essentially do the same thing.

Back