Google Announces A Patent Purchase Promotion

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has announced a patent purchase promotion that, according to the company, is designed to “remove friction from the patent market.” Essentially the company is offering to buy up everyone's patents to keep them from patent trolls. In theory that's all peachy, but what happens when Google has all the patents?

So today we’re announcing the Patent Purchase Promotion as an experiment to remove friction from the patent market. From May 8, 2015 through May 22, 2015, we’ll open a streamlined portal for patent holders to tell Google about patents they’re willing to sell at a price they set. As soon as the portal closes, we’ll review all the submissions, and let the submitters know whether we’re interested in buying their patents by June 26, 2015. If we contact you about purchasing your patent, we’ll work through some additional diligence with you and look to close a transaction in short order. We anticipate everyone we transact with getting paid by late August.

This is both brilliant and horrifically terrifying at the same time.

But Google has that whole "Do no evil" thing so this couldn't possibly go wrong ... step into my parlor said the spider to the fly :D

From the FAQ:
You get a license that is irrevocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable, non-sublicenseable.
Basically, you get some money, lose all rights to it other than developing a product yourself, and while Google can't sue you for it, then can compete with you, or license it somewhere else (since your rights are non-exclusive) for a bunch of money.
I don't know, I guess if your patent is good, the money better be very good.

If they get all the patents, they become a monopoly on patents and they will then be regulated by the US and then patent codes will be created that rival the complexity of the tax code.

google don't have enough money to buy all the patents. They'll buy some.

Google will buy them based upon risk analysis. My guess is they are looking for the patents which "they" will be sued over. I don't think they give a crap about "friction" outside of their own.

Next, they will look at patents they can use to sue others at an aysmetric gain to pay for the program. :p

Maybe google is finally attempting to become a government.

They provide nearly everything for free, so long as you don't mind some advertizing that exists anyway. You can pay a reasonable fee for upgraded service and special privileges.

They are certainly spying on you, but they make it fairly transparent and give you opt-out methods for the most part. They can also use that monstrous amount of data for good; to deeply analyze every problem and find novel solutions. People allow them to use this data because the benefit is great, and the creepiness of it is acceptable and transparent enough.They are, if creepy, at least somewhat ethical and open about it.

They are built by this generations' best and brightest, and have arguably the largest infrastructure and economic dominance in the western world.

....the US Govt on the other hand...

They provide nearly everything for free, so long as you don't mind some advertizing that exists anyway. You can pay a reasonable fee for upgraded service and special privileges.

They are certainly spying on you, but they make it fairly transparent and give you opt-out methods for the most part. They can also use that monstrous amount of data for good; to deeply analyze every problem and find novel solutions. People allow them to use this data because the benefit is great, and the creepiness of it is acceptable and transparent enough.They are, if creepy, at least somewhat ethical and open about it.

They are built by this generations' best and brightest, and have arguably the largest infrastructure and economic dominance in the western world.

....the US Govt on the other hand...

Everything is all well and dandy while the current honor guard is in place, but once the fathers are gone there is no telling what in-bred prince is going to take their place and what that person will do. Kinda like the US govt!

Basically I see it like this: Unless Jesus himself comes down out of heaven, takes control of Google and sets himself up as CEO for eternity, I will always view the company, or any company, with suspicion.

But Google has that whole "Do no evil" thing so this couldn't possibly go wrong ... step into my parlor said the spider to the fly :D

I thought it was "Do no evil... we don't like the competition."

Back