Benq BL3200 vs BL3201?

insoc123

Limp Gawd
Hello. I recently bought a Benq BL3200 and I'm in love with this monitor. So much in love that I'm planning to buy another one for my office. The only things I miss about other monitors I have had are the better colors (I think) of my IPS monitors and what I think is a not so light coating this BL3200.
I find out that 32" is the sweet spot display size for my needs (working, internet and gaming). I used to play on a Samsung 32" 1080p HDTV and found that the colors on the HDTV pop out better than the BL3200 and the response time is better.

The reason why I haven't made the jump to 4K is because I hate how bad Windows do it's scaling and I think that the dot pitch my BL3200 gives is PERFECT. I don't like the dot pitch of a 27" at 1440p so 4K would be even worse.

The BL3201 seems like an interesting alternative for the better IPS colors and if it is better for gaming than the BL3200 I would strongly choose the BL3021.

Quick questions:

1) Is the anti-glare coating on the BL3201 less aggressive than the BL3200 one?

2) Is the BL3201 a "better" alternative for gaming than the BL3200 one?

3) Awkward question, but if I was to set the BL3201 monitor to the same resolution of the BL3200 (1440p) in order to enjoy the BL3200 dot pitch that I love and not have to deal to windows bad scaling, would the BL3201 give practically the same image and quality than the BL3200 but with better colors (IPS) and better gaming response?

As you can see, until Windows do good scaling and I can fully play games at 4K with very high or ultra settings (I have a SLI of GTX 980 but waiting for more powerful GPUs to come) I am exploring the possibility in the mean time to you the BL3201 as a better BL3200 monitor, that is, the same 1440p resolutions + IPS colors + better game response.

Thank you!!

The BL3201 AG coating is pretty light. I only noticed grain at high viewing angles. But any AG coating is still going to take away from image quality.

You might try increasing color saturation through your video card control panel for the 3200. VA colors are damn close to IPS, and can be equal if you do this. VA also has way better blacks.

If you set the 3201 to 1440p, it will scale poorly and look worse than your 1440p monitor, even if they were the same size. 4K at 32" is very manageable, just bump Windows to 125% scaling. But if you can't drive 4K in games, and don't plan on being able to any time soon, it'd be a better choice to play with the 3200 since it has its native resolution.

The 3201 has excellent response time. Check reviews to compare it to the 3200.

Thank you for your response. After doing more research I am almost decided to buy the BL3201 because I've read that more and more programs are dealing well with scaling (like Google Chrome) and W10 will likely help in that matter. I've also read some reviews and the response time and the lag on the BL3201 is actually better than on the BL3200. I suppose it is because of the BL3201 being an IPS panel (AHVA) while not great it's better in that subject than a VA panel.
Given that the colors rendition will be better than the BL3200 it all seems like the BL3201 it's better in many aspects than the BL3200. If the anti-glare coating of the BL3201 is less aggressive than on the BL3200 it would be great. (Have to read more about it).

Back