Did I make the right choice?

E Blade

n00b
I got a new ASUS DirectCU II R9270X 2GB version for about $140 after tax. I needed a new card to replace a similar one that recently failed. Thing is, I went from 4GB to 2GB and Nvidia to AMD/ATI. Don't notice any difference in my games, but I still wonder if I made the right choice. :confused:

Hard to know without the games you play, settings you use, gfx res, other system specs, what your old card was and your own expectations of gameplay.

What did you have previously? A gtx 760 4gb? If it's something like that, then at 1080p you probably won't notice much of a difference. Newegg has had some deals recently on R9 280's and R9 280x's. But for what you paid, you did OK (except that I shy away personally from ASUS, just due to how poorly I've had them handle RMAs). If you end up with buyer's remorse, you could always sell your 270x for a loss, and pick up something else. But with GPUs, better to sell sooner rather than later. Because new models come out quickly, driving prices of older technology down.

To be honest, no, I got a used Gigabyte 270X on eBay for $80 shipped about 10 months ago. It was probably used for mining, but it's still running fine in a friend's gaming rig. You probably did fine as far as new prices go, but I don't think the current prices for these cards represent that good of a value ATM.

My previous card was indeed a GTX 760 by MSI. My system specs are Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2 800, no SSD yet just normal 7200 rpm drives for now. I get 60 fps on games like Skyrim with mods on high/AA-AF set to 8 playing at 1080P. I plan to buy Xenoverse next. I know my PC is old and bottlenecking things a bit, but at the time I wanted to build a new system other things came up. The only reason I had that 760 in here was because it was given to me.

You downgraded, the 760 is faster. Also you need more ram 8GB would be waaaaaay better, I'm guessing you might have windows 7, if so go for 8GB. I found there to be a much much more noticeable improvement going from 4 to 8, than 8 to 16gb.

System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2.6GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 512 MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3870
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
OS: Windows Vista (x64) / Windows 7 (x64) / Windows 8 (x64)
Processor: Intel Core i3-530, 2.93 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 940, 3.0GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti / AMD Radeon HD 6790
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

Last edited:
I got a new ASUS DirectCU II R9270X 2GB version for about $140 after tax. I needed a new card to replace a similar one that recently failed. Thing is, I went from 4GB to 2GB and Nvidia to AMD/ATI. Don't notice any difference in my games, but I still wonder if I made the right choice. :confused:

If it works fine, I wouldn't worry, just rock it.

Honestly, I can't complain about the 2 I run in crossfire. Granted I upgraded from a way outdated card but, I still love mine. I can play witcher 3 @1080p. Maybe not ultra settings but I don't mind too much. My computer is still being built up and upgraded slowly anyway.
I think you made a good choice as long as you enjoy it and don't notice that it is any slower. :)

Not saying Witcher 3 is a hard game to run at 1080p btw. Just thought hey new game, why not. Far Cry 4, middle earth so far been able to play high to ultra if i remember right.

Back