D&D Now on Steam, Complete with Dice and a Dungeon Master

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Heads up for all of you D&D freakoids. :D If you are still one of the many faithful D&D players, you can now satisfy your jonesing for a quick fix on Steam. You can now recreate the official licensed 5th Edition tabletop experience, complete with maps, dungeon master and rolling the dice with Steam content from Wizards of the Coast.

cool

didn't Jeri Ellsworth have a tabletop VR rig brewing??

I'd be more interested in knowing why I should buy this $40 product over roll20.net's free system.

Mother of Mercy that's expensive, base software is 40$ and already has 1,275$ of DLC. . .

If the price were right, I would play this in a heartbeat... assuming I had anyone to play with. :(

Still cheaper than buying the handbooks. The D&D rulebook alone costs $40 and you have to buy a new one every time they update it. Some campaigns can go for $70.

Still cheaper than buying the handbooks. The D&D rulebook alone costs $40 and you have to buy a new one every time they update it. Some campaigns can go for $70.

I don't know anyone who updated past 3.5. It's like they threw in iPhone game designers to finish 4.0

Between the compete failure of DDO, Neverwinter Online and now seeing the pricing on this, it is obvious there is and has been a huge money grab to capitalize on their product name and longevity. It is also obvious they don't care about their product anymore and just want to monetize absolutely everything about it. As a 25+year D and D fan that makes me very very disappointed, I am walking away (very sadly mind you) completely. It sucks.

I'd be more interested in knowing why I should buy this $40 product over roll20.net's free system.

My exact thought. I watch TONS of games online that are run on roll20, so what's the big difference? Does it come with all the base books?

I'm pretty much a D&D nerd, still play weekly when possible, go to gencon, play online d&d, etc. But I can't see using an expensive version of roll20. There's too many ways to play for free. Especially when the basic rules and stuff for d&d are given away for free on their site.

We still play 1st edition, but we've added things to it to make it our own like the critical hit table from the LAW system which works out pretty well for our game.

Between the compete failure of DDO, Neverwinter Online and now seeing the pricing on this, it is obvious there is and has been a huge money grab to capitalize on their product name and longevity. It is also obvious they don't care about their product anymore and just want to monetize absolutely everything about it. As a 25+year D and D fan that makes me very very disappointed, I am walking away (very sadly mind you) completely. It sucks.

Switch to Pathfinder! All of the source material is available free online.

Pathfinder FTW!!!

I resisted the switch from D&D 3.5 to Pathfinder, but I enjoy having everything in just a few books.

Were actually looking at the demo of this as a dungeon runnner and using Pathfinder rules! We already have a game going, but I think we need somewhere some of our crew wont lose their character sheets and where the DM can build dungeons instead of having to draw as we go along. It'll also let our group who can't make it still play from other locations. I've been watching a twitch stream where they run in roll20 and I've been thoroughly enjoying it!

We already have a game going, but I think we need somewhere some of our crew wont lose their character sheets and where the DM can build dungeons instead of having to draw as we go along. It'll also let our group who can't make it still play from other locations. I've been watching a twitch stream where they run in roll20 and I've been thoroughly enjoying it!

Yup, roll20 sounds perfect for your needs. My group has noticed a few weird bugs (ie. Perception checks are way off), but they're nothing serious and it's pretty easy to manually compensate for them. Being able to setup macros and hotkeys for pretty much all of your rolls is sweet.

Back