Comcast Plans To Drop Time Warner Cable Deal

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bloomberg, citing sources "with knowledge of the matter," claims that Comcast is abandoning the merger with Time Warner.

Comcast Corp. is planning to walk away from its proposed $45 billion takeover of Time Warner Cable Inc., people with knowledge of the matter said, after regulators planned to oppose the deal. Comcast is planning to make a final decision on its plans Thursday, and an announcement on the deal’s fate may come as soon as Friday, said one of the people, who asked not to be named discussing private information.

I still don't think this will make the slightest difference to comsumers, one way or the other, I mean with the merger one monoply covering more area instead we have two monolplies just each covering different areas.

At the end of the day, we the consumers are screwed either way.

Better than merging, though the market is still a monopoly so sucks compared to most other first world markets. Hopefully municipal fiber will some day solve that if the corrupt pro-telco regulatory barriers are removed from some backwards states.

I still don't think this will make the slightest difference to comsumers, one way or the other, I mean with the merger one monoply covering more area instead we have two monolplies just each covering different areas.

Actually, in the long run, those monopolies are screwed, be it one or two.

Writing's on the wall for cable companies.

This is a totally different situation since their is no break up fee, but I remember people saying AT&T failing to buy TMobile wouldnt make a difference either. Then TMobile started to make large impacts.

Sometimes things work out for consumers. Sometimes.

As if it's good for anyone. You're all fucked if you got either companies.

They can take the 45 billion and invest it into customer service.

This was going to affect me. I am in the area Comcast was going to dump off to the company they were going to create.

Until then, both companies will increase prices citing 'increased competition' as an excuse.

Yay.

Now, if only we can do something to increase the broadband competition in the United States so that we have high speed at a decent price. That's one of the things that I miss from the dial-up days.

I do not think so these are also monopolies for ISPs in many markets (unless you think DSL is high speed internet) so any streaming service depends on them and they make a much higher profit on internet then they do cable TV.

I can only hope Google keeps rolling out more fiber. We need competition. It is 2015 for crying out loud. I want to have to start worrying about updating my house intranet to 10 gig :D

Absolutely great news. No data caps until TWC decides otherwise. This is so important it is not even funny.

What they should do instead of playing favorites with mergers, is we should have a universal cap on how much a business can be bought for. If we have too big to fail, no reason we can't have that.

What they should do instead of playing favorites with mergers, is we should have a universal cap on how much a business can be bought for. If we have too big to fail, no reason we can't have that.

So the Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubeman Emporium could be worth as much as Exxon one day?

Don't limit the value ... provide a clearer limit on the percentage ... if mergers won't be allowed for any company with more than 50% market share (or that would create a company with more than 50% market share) then just say that ... the price of a merger is determined by the stock price of public companies ... as long as the purchaser can afford it, then the price of a merger is irrelevant ;)

Now hopefully TWC keeps operating without enforcing data caps...

The more important question is what Comcast will do with them ... Comcast doesn't enforce most of their data cap limits (but they do track them) ... if they decide to implement them universally now and blame the FCC for Title II and blocking the merger it would be very painful for their users (who generally don't have any alternatives) ... they are the only high speed provider in my area

It's great news. Allowing Comcast to have such a huge footprint would screw Streaming services and also cause decoupling of packages / channels to take longer. Comcast owns NBC and NBC Sports, and has little incentive to offer TV packages without NBC Sports or to allow NBC Sports be accessed online without a standard Pay Tv Sub.

Back