DIY Star Wars BB-8 Droid

I can't help but think that new star wars design is the dumbest thing ever. Its just a gimmick to appeal to little kids

I can't help but think that new star wars design is the dumbest thing ever. Its just a gimmick to appeal to little kids

Welcome to JJ Abrahams Star Wars. Zero respect for the source material and constantly changing it for the worse.

The BB droid was mandated by Disney to be added into the film, so you would be exactly right, there.

Welcome to JJ Abrahams Star Wars. Zero respect for the source material and constantly changing it for the worse.

How is he making it worse and ignoring the source material? Its quite the opposite really. He is actually using physical props like the original eps 4-6 and not making it a green screen mess when people are interacting with the environment. He is re-using a lot of Ralph McQuarries original designs for many vehicles. BB-8 droid was even one of Ralph's original ideas for R2.

ZZ3CA86FC8-550x201.jpg

ZZ3CA86FC8-550x201.jpg

Ralph McQuarrie said:
“I think Artoo was just described as a small robot. I thought of him as running on a giant ball bearing — just a sphere, a circle, wheel-like. He had gyros so he could go in any direction on this ball.”

If that wasn't enough, guess who is the screenplay writer for the new Star Wars? None other than Lawrence Kasdan, the man who wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

How again are they changing Star Wars for the worse?

Star Wars has always been about the toys. Why is this a surprise?

Think about it, the droids had no real need to be in the prequels but the toy revenue/merchandising demanded it.

How is he making it worse and ignoring the source material? Its quite the opposite really. He is actually using physical props like the original eps 4-6 and not making it a green screen mess when people are interacting with the environment. He is re-using a lot of Ralph McQuarries original designs for many vehicles. BB-8 droid was even one of Ralph's original ideas for R2.

ZZ3CA86FC8-550x201.jpg

ZZ3CA86FC8-550x201.jpg

If that wasn't enough, guess who is the screenplay writer for the new Star Wars? None other than Lawrence Kasdan, the man who wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

How again are they changing Star Wars for the worse?
If you don't get a completely different vibe from the sketch and the BB-8, then the following won't mean anything to you.

Your argument is basically all cakes are made with sugar, butter, and eggs, how could someone possibly cook one wrong. We all know its quite possible.

You are bitching about sex and race in a story that takes place in a galaxy far far away full of millions of species. I take it you had no problem when you saw the Cantina on Tattooine, black Lando Calrissian, or even the freaky slave aliens in Jabba's palace. Plenty of diversity in Star Wars from the beginning. How come the humans all have to be white males?

Maybee he read the books like some of us have:
http://tosche-station.net/diversity-in-star-wars/

If you don't get a completely different vibe from the sketch and the BB-8, then the following won't mean anything to you.

Your argument is basically all cakes are made with sugar, butter, and eggs, how could someone possibly cook one wrong. We all know its quite possible.

I like how you cut out the most relevant line of his post:

Originally Posted by Ralph McQuarrie
“I think Artoo was just described as a small robot. I thought of him as running on a giant ball bearing — just a sphere, a circle, wheel-like. He had gyros so he could go in any direction on this ball.”

BB-8 is nothing like that original design. BB-8 looks more like a WALL-E shoe-in then anything from Star Wars.

I get why some people are upset, but who really cares whether one of the stars is male/female or what race. If they're a good actor, really, who cares? Anakin was a white actor and was f'ing AWFUL. Not entirely his fault, I know the script was bad as well, but geez cmon that guy can't act to save his life.

Maybee he read the books like some of us have:
http://tosche-station.net/diversity-in-star-wars/

I have read plenty of them. I was a huge fan of the Rogue Squadron series, Thrawn series, and The Dark Empire series. I've also played all the games. I don't recall too many of the books describing skin color of all the humans as white, and the only time they really made it a point was when they were describing the aliens. The comics and graphic novels on the other hand...almost all humans were white. Just because most of the humans are white in a lot of these books doesn't mean it has to stay that way. My point in the previous post was merely pointing out that putting a different race of humans has less to do with it being "liberal bullshit" as Megalith said, and more about fitting the diversity that is present among a universe full of millions of alien species, and even a few of them have several races themselves (notable example are the Twi-leks). IMHO, it makes it even more relatable to have humans of other races appear.

You might wanna do some reading up:
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...ius-decision-made-george-lucas-a-billionaire/
All the toy-stuff was Georg Lucas's idea...not some other people.

Yep that's exactly what I mean, so not sure why you think I need to read up. All about the toys. Was from the very start so I don't get why folks are moaning about cute robots 'destroying' their joy. Toy options will always be a part of this franchise.

R2-D2 was the cute robot nearly 40 years ago. Made a great toy.

My initial impression of the robot was also mixed, it's a tad too cutesy but it's growing on me and we'll see what it can do in the movie.

The movies so far are very promising though, they definitely give off the SW vibe in my eyes. Can't wait.

I really don't care too much about the cast.

I just hope it has a semi-coherent and engaging plot this time.

The new Star Wars is liberal bullshit. I like how Jew Jew went out of his way to make a female, a black guy, and a Mexican the main characters. I mean, does that even make sense. The entire Star Wars fan base is basically white guys. And of course there's going to be an interracial romance.

I heard the new Rogue Squadron movie is going to have a female lead, too. Seriously, what is this Disney princess shit? She'll probably spend the entire movie showing how much better she can fly an X-Wing than male pilots.

Wow people like you still exist? :eek:

Back