10 Reasons to Embrace Windows 10

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are sitting around wondering if you will make the switch over to Windows 10 when it is finalized later this year, ComputerWorld has analyzed the improvements in Windows 10 builds and will give you 10 solid reasons to consider making the switch.

There is a lot out there for both businesses and PC users to digest.

These look like really lackluster reasons. I just wish every new version of Windows didn't cause additional older games to stop working.

Yeah not sure any of those are really good reasons at least not to me. Ill give it a chance and check it out but Im not sure Ill actually move on from Windows 7. Its just about perfect for what I want out of an OS.

Maybe if Windows 10 had the same Aero GUI as Win7 I'd give it a look. I still don't like the flat look Win8 started and find it to be generally confusing to work with. Splitting up settings between the desktop & Metro world isn't really a great thing in my book either.

I'll just wait until Win7 stops doing everything I want it to do.

the only thing of note about windows 10 is directx 12.

the fact that windows 7 can't get it is because ms wants people to get windows 10.

it's a dirty tactic.

fortunately my gaming rig is not the pc i use everyday. so it will have windows nsa i mean windows 10.

1: Live tile (BOO!)
2: Still a mixture of interface, just more segregated (BOO!)
3: Gestures on a touchpad. (*SNORE*)
4: Direct Upgrades (Meh...)
5: MS Word capabilities built into Outlook (HUH?!?!?!?)
6: Windows Updates. (You mean ComputerWorld *just* noticed this piece of functionality?)
7: Browser security, (blah blah blah.)
8: Better device management...(Depends on circumstances)
9: Windows Store (*SNORE*)
10: Multi-factor auth. Goodie. Another biometric system that can break and lock you out of the system

Final Score: *Goatse.cx!*

1. The Windows 8.0/8.1 “live tile” UI” is now integrated into the Start Menu which can also be viewed in full screen mode. Two worlds previously toggled via the Windows button become one, resulting in a more familiar user interface.

The feature that nobody liked? The reason everyone avoided it? Yea I'll be disabling live tiles from my start menu.
2. When using a 2 in 1 system, Windows 10 optimizes the user interface for either touch or keyboard/mouse input, based on whether your device is in tablet or laptop mode.
Don't plan to own a Surface Pro, so no thanks.
3. When using a laptop with a precision touchpad, Windows 10 offers new touchpad gestures for navigating through your open apps.
Yea that wasn't a great feature in Windows 8. Just keep it disabled by default.
4. Systems can be upgraded to Windows 10 directly from Windows 7. The option to skip Win 8.0/8.1 should be very interesting to IT managers everywhere. Of course an upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 is possible but not from Windows 8.0.
One year only. I'd like to see how that works out. Especially when the time runs out and then people care about switching.
5. MS Word capabilities are built into Outlook. Now it’s easier to add tables, insert pictures and more. Email is foundational to business productivity and I’m glad folks are looking to continuously improve it.
Don't other Email clients do this?
6. Windows Updates – both update type and cadence – can be customized by IT departments based on platform/user type. The needs of the business will dictate which updates get pushed when to which systems.
Something Windows needed a decade ago.
7. Windows 10 offers a more secure browser with enhanced support for modern sites as well as compatibility for legacy enterprise web pages and apps.
Awesome! Now I won't get viruses when I'm downloading FireFox or Chrome.
8. Windows 10 offers expanded and improved device management choices including Microsoft Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, Group Policy, SCCM and improved MDM support. MDM support began with Windows 8.1, enabling IT to manage Windows PCs the same way they manage mobile devices. However with Windows 10 this MDM capability offers improvements in enterprise data protection, remote wiping for lost devices and even full control over the Windows Store among other features.
I'm sure a lot of home users are going to be happy about this.
9. Speaking of the Windows Store, Microsoft is offering a web-based portal so organizations can acquire apps and then distribute them within their Windows 10 user base. It is even possible for a company to create their own private section within the Windows Store, making public and private apps easier to find so users can customize devices as directed by IT.
More IT business. Sounds cool but I'm not looking forward to the Windows Store.
10. And finally, for added security Windows 10 is adding a feature called Windows Hello, which incorporates multifactor authentication (ex: biometric data) into the login process.
I doubt people will use this. I wouldn't want someone to cut my finger off just to get authentication.

B059nh_CMAAR4Pt.jpg

Storage Sense is the most important reason, IMHO. Splitting up growable directories in 7 and 8.1 between two hard drives as to not fill up your SSD lead to heartache any time your installation needed repair / refreshing.

It's about freaking time that they finally realized the need.

lol.
Thats all they can come up with?

Maybe if Windows 10 had the same Aero GUI as Win7 I'd give it a look. I still don't like the flat look Win8 started and find it to be generally confusing to work with. Splitting up settings between the desktop & Metro world isn't really a great thing in my book either.

I'll just wait until Win7 stops doing everything I want it to do.
Yep.

the fact that windows 7 can't get it is because ms wants people to get windows 10.

it's a dirty tactic.

fortunately my gaming rig is not the pc i use everyday. so it will have windows nsa i mean windows 10.

I like to pick on MS, but it's not the dirtiest tactic since it's a free upgrade. But yeah, they want you to have access to the app store. :p

It's shy, new and the number is bigger.
The real reason is that it is a free upgrade and I like it.

Lots of people crapping over this release. I find it strange.

Windows 8 had a LOT of under the hood upgrades. 10 doesn't have as many upgrades as 8, but it brings back more of a "classic" desktop look, which I really like. The fact it's a free upgrade is nice as well. I've been using the preview, and it's really nice.

Also, no one has mentioned Cortana. I use it a TON. Having a search box right on the bottom of your screen all the time that can search your local system as well as online is a great feature, and the voice recognition works fairly well.

Unfortunately, Project Spartan needs a lot of work. It's no stand in for Firefox or Chrome.

Main reason to upgrade to Windows 10?

It's not Windows 8 :)

it's a dirty tactic.

To be fair, I think it's reasonable to find ways to get the user base off their old software just so there is not such a huge recalcitrant base of people stuck on ancient code designed over half a decade ago.

Everyone keeps saying its a free upgrade, which is all well and good... if it is actually free. Last time i checked... big business never does free.. they only do "free".

i.e. use out "free" software. (super fine print. sign up required/internet connection required/advertising required/etc etc etc etc)

Windows Hello... they got it almost right. Just one o too much lol :D

Everyone keeps saying its a free upgrade, which is all well and good... if it is actually free. Last time i checked... big business never does free.. they only do "free".

i.e. use out "free" software. (super fine print. sign up required/internet connection required/advertising required/etc etc etc etc)

This. I've been urging caution with all the "herp derp but it's free" until we see a EULA and what all strings are going to be attached (ie mandatory online/cloud bullshit, etc).

Lots of people crapping over this release. I find it strange.

Windows 8 had a LOT of under the hood upgrades. 10 doesn't have as many upgrades as 8, but it brings back more of a "classic" desktop look, which I really like. The fact it's a free upgrade is nice as well. I've been using the preview, and it's really nice.

Also, no one has mentioned Cortana. I use it a TON. Having a search box right on the bottom of your screen all the time that can search your local system as well as online is a great feature, and the voice recognition works fairly well.

Unfortunately, Project Spartan needs a lot of work. It's no stand in for Firefox or Chrome.

I don't get all the hate, either, but I was just fine with Windows 8's clunky Metro UI.
I just took the plunge and did an upgrade over my 8.1 install and was very surprised when it actually worked. I'll be wiping for the final, though.

I really like the expanded start menu.

Stop being so old and cranky, [H]!

I don't get all the hate, either, but I was just fine with Windows 8's clunky Metro UI.
I just took the plunge and did an upgrade over my 8.1 install and was very surprised when it actually worked. I'll be wiping for the final, though.

I really like the expanded start menu.

Stop being so old and cranky, [H]!

When the new UI is harder to use and requires more clicks to do the same job, what's not to hate?

Not even the free price will make me upgrade. I'll keep using Windows 7 until end of support in 2020.

When the new UI is harder to use and requires more clicks to do the same job, what's not to hate?

Harder to use for some because things are different true. More click to do things on the desktop? Not that much difference between 7 & 8.1 on the desktop.

What has this got to do with Windows ?

"MS Word capabilities are built into Outlook. Now it’s easier to add tables, insert pictures and more. Email is foundational to business productivity and I’m glad folks are looking to continuously improve it."

What has this got to do with Windows ?

"MS Word capabilities are built into Outlook. Now it’s easier to add tables, insert pictures and more. Email is foundational to business productivity and I’m glad folks are looking to continuously improve it."
I was confused by that, too. As far as I know Office is still going to be a standalone product when W10 launches. Maybe they couldn't fill out a list with 10 reasons and had to come up with something?

People are looking to pad the list is all. This list is as horrible as any buzzfeed article.

For me only 7, 8 and 10 are interesting, and 9 is almost a negative imho, I don't like the idea of a potentially "walled garden" future for software.

I'm going to wait and see how others feel about Win10 before moving from my copy of 8.1, I'm concerned about the loss of the "transferable" license ability...

So basically if I plan to upgrade my PC then I can't just re-use the copy I paid for from my old build, I'd have to buy a new license every time from what I gathered. That's a very big minus in my book so kinda concerned.

You sir are a minority of the minority of the computer-consuming populace.
Well I'm sure if you had programs you wanted to run that didn't work properly under VMware emulation and newer OS's broke compatibility also, you wouldn't be thrilled either.

What old games aren't working in Windows 8.1? I have some pretty old games running my wife's computer with 8.1 and haven't had issues.

This "article" says it is sponsored. Sponsored by whom? :D :D I have no idea who would sponsor a positive spin on a Windows release ...

So is the butt-hurt

Internets have been blowing things out of proportion since forever. I'm more middle-of-the-road... I am awaiting windows 10 as I've played with 8 and like a lot of the under-the-hood improvements. Once 10 hits i'll be installing it fresh and shit.

However, at the same time they've made things in some cases less intuitive and take longer. Win+X fixes a lot of this, and i trust they'll keep it around. I felt similarly about WinXP > 7, when they made getting to your network connections take an extra click. I'll upgrade, but damnit why they gotta make things take longer?

Internets have been blowing things out of proportion since forever. I'm more middle-of-the-road... I am awaiting windows 10 as I've played with 8 and like a lot of the under-the-hood improvements. Once 10 hits i'll be installing it fresh and shit.

However, at the same time they've made things in some cases less intuitive and take longer. Win+X fixes a lot of this, and i trust they'll keep it around. I felt similarly about WinXP > 7, when they made getting to your network connections take an extra click. I'll upgrade, but damnit why they gotta make things take longer?
I thought that about Windows 8 at first but after learning how to use the improvements I find it infinitely faster than 7 in that regard. MS is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Those are all business centric reasons (and they all appear valid) but they don't speak to the need for consumer upgrades ... that said, I will likely take the plunge with 10 ... I would have gone with 8 but it didn't really offer me any significant benefits with no Direct X tied to it (Direct X has driven my OS upgrades more than any other factor) ... Windows 7 has been a great OS and I really don't have any complaints with it but I don't like to skip more than one OS generation, if I don't need to

Back