Rock Band, Guitar Hero Face Off (Again) This Fall

As usual, the Rock Band franchise continues to embarrass Guitar Hero. No support for previous instruments or DLC songs, seriously? I get that they're taking the experience in a different direction, but then they shouldn't have used the name Guitar Hero. The brand is too stale for new gamers to care and the existing fans will just be pissed off that their old stuff doesn't work.

I wonder on average, how much time people put into a faux-playing-rhythm game? I've seen people on STEAM who are casual throw many hours at very sandbox games, I can't think of anything more sandbox than an actual instrument.

Although last time I've played, five or so odd years ago (the new World Tour game was released), Rock Band still put that to shame.

I wonder on average, how much time people put into a faux-playing-rhythm game? I've seen people on STEAM who are casual throw many hours at very sandbox games, I can't think of anything more sandbox than an actual instrument.

Although last time I've played, five or so odd years ago (the new World Tour game was released), Rock Band still put that to shame.

Only 4 posts before someone had to tell us to play a real instrument...

Only 4 posts before someone had to tell us to play a real instrument...

Actually, I was musing aloud.

A musical instrument is not always a sound investment of one's time... or even what someone wants to do, sort of like how S&M is not something I want to do. ;)

I'm glad rhythm games like Rock Band have software based algorithms and are charted out in essentially tabulature, it is a step up from just reading tabulature which is not always desirable when learning music.

I get the feeling that unless the Guitar Hero IP gets grabbed by developers who have interesting and innovative or at the very least - competitive features, lest it be snuffed out.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing. :p

Always preferred guitar hero over rock band. It had much better rock scenes and a way better music selection.

I may buy it again if it comes out but the game became too tedious in the end.

Or you could embarrass both and play RockSmith... you know, use a real guitar and play a game that releases DLC on an almost monthly basis.

so... any backwards compatibility at all?

or is it going to be a new wave of useless rockband/guitar hero crap on kijiji again.

Or you could embarrass both and play RockSmith... you know, use a real guitar and play a game that releases DLC on an almost monthly basis.

I have both RockSmith's and they don't like my receiver so I'm forced to use my computer.

Actually, I was musing aloud.

A musical instrument is not always a sound investment of one's time... or even what someone wants to do, sort of like how S&M is not something I want to do. ;)

I'm glad rhythm games like Rock Band have software based algorithms and are charted out in essentially tabulature, it is a step up from just reading tabulature which is not always desirable when learning music.

I get the feeling that unless the Guitar Hero IP gets grabbed by developers who have interesting and innovative or at the very least - competitive features, lest it be snuffed out.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing. :p

Thanks for posting that. I'm glad you weren't taking a jab at guys like me that just want to play a video game once in a while and have no interest in learning an instrument.

Only 4 posts before someone had to tell us to play a real instrument...[/QUOTESure it's all a matter of personal opinion/choice, but the more options available the better amiright?

]At least the option exists, and don't many people often wish they'd learned to play at some point?

There are actually some decent quality low cost instruments available that aren't all that far off from the cost of an upper tier controller.

I wonder how many don't even realize that options like Rocksmith even exist.

so... any backwards compatibility at all?

or is it going to be a new wave of useless rockband/guitar hero crap on kijiji again.
Rock Band 4 will be backward compatible with all old instruments and DLC. I think how that works is the game will be able to look at your download or purchase history and you'll be able to download the songs onto current-gen platforms based on that. I only hope you can do it in a single batch instead of one-at-a-time because I have around 400 songs...

Guitar Hero Live is going back to guitar only, and the concept is brand new (3x2 buttons), so no hardware compatibility. We don't know about whether Activision will either make the old music library available or not, but the trailer shows what looks like a category of song called "GH1" near the end. Either way, the charts will have to be updated for the new controller layout and mechanics.

Always preferred guitar hero over rock band. It had much better rock scenes and a way better music selection.

I may buy it again if it comes out but the game became too tedious in the end.
Well, then, you may be in for a shock based on the songs revealed for Guitar Hero Live thus far. It includes a lot of pop, pop-rock, and dubstep. Can't get the link for the source right now, but I saw it on the GuitarHero.com community forums. What we do know right now definitively is the setlist will only include 45 songs, and 21 have been discovered so far.

I don't see how either one could compete with Rocksmith.

Back