GTX 980 - How do you do 5 displays?

vorpel

Limp Gawd
I understand that a single GTX 980 can only output to 4 displays. How can I get my 5th display on my main system? Can I use a additional video card - would it have to be a match to the 980 or could I use something else (I've got a HD 7850 laying around).

Here's my setup:

Main display - Samsung 48" JU6700 4K - connected to HDMI on GTX 980
4x surround displays - Dell U2414H's 1080p

I only care to game on the main display - the other displays will be for auxiliary use - coding, VMs, RDP, browser, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DC

Thanks. As soon as the Dell monitors get here I'll try everything out.

I don't think you can use a second nvidia card so you'd probably have to do the onboard graphics or use the AMD as a second card.

Let me know how it works out. I've been wondering for a while Is combining a GTX Maxwell with a z87/97 would allow for more than 4 displays... Im hoping for as many as 7 and cant find any information on it :(

I would do following:

gtx 980
-> 4K gaming (Samsung 48" JU6700 4K)
-> 1~2 secondary monitor (Dell U2414H's 1080p)

onboard graphic
-> 2~3 secondary monitor (Dell U2414H's 1080p)

display for coding, VMs, RDP, browser, etc. use very low to none graphic power and onboard graphic will be more than enough to handle and throw into the mix. and, it is not called Surround, it would be spanned / extended monitor(s). You don't need a second dedicated video card, less wiring, less power used, and keep the system clean and neat.

Back