Broken SATA connector :/

FRZ

2[H]4U
So I have an old SSD which I recently took out of my rig during a case swap and the cable came out with the plastic around the SATA connector still inside. Also not sure if this is normal two pins seem a bit shoved in. What would be my best option to repair it since the internals are still good?

Here's some pics

Last edited:
I've had this happen and the solution was to carefully, carefully, pull those jacked up pins out to where they need to be, then reinsert the busted plastic piece into a SATA cable you're comfortable having attached the drive from now on, then glue the plastic tab, pins, SATA cable head, etc.

Bear in mind, though. You're might just permanently break it. My success rate so far is 2 of 3.

if you have a soldering iron then I would say cut the head off a sata cable and just solder it on. I've done this with usb devices where the connector broke.

I've had this happen and the solution was to carefully, carefully, pull those jacked up pins out to where they need to be, then reinsert the busted plastic piece into a SATA cable you're comfortable having attached the drive from now on, then glue the plastic tab, pins, SATA cable head, etc.

Bear in mind, though. You're might just permanently break it. My success rate so far is 2 of 3.

ok will try this, unfortunately I dont have the plastic part but Ill attempt pulling the pins out. As long as I can temporally connect it and transfer some of the data I dont really care about salvaging the drive itself.

If you look at another drive you will see the pins are not all the same length...they do this to make them hot swappable....the longest pins are the ground pins and they will always engage first ..dont try and pull them out as this will only damage the drive further ...just plug a cable in and as long as your careful you will be able to get the data off without issue....

If you look at another drive you will see the pins are not all the same length...they do this to make them hot swappable....the longest pins are the ground pins and they will always engage first ..dont try and pull them out as this will only damage the drive further ...just plug a cable in and as long as your careful you will be able to get the data off without issue....

Is that only for the data connection? Because the power connection isn't following that on his drive.

Yep, I've done that before. When it happened to me, it was the power connector though.

As cortex said, line it up and super glue it.

It worked great.

Is that only for the data connection? Because the power connection isn't following that on his drive.

The data connector has 3 ground pins in it.....the 1st,4th and 7th pin are grounds...

esata.gif

the power connector has 6
Serialataconnector.gif

if you look closely you can see they are different lengths....although his are definitely shorter than they should be, I still would not try and pull them out...

The data connector has 3 ground pins in it.....the 1st,4th and 7th pin are grounds...

the power connector has 6

if you look closely you can see they are different lengths....although his are definitely shorter than they should be, I still would not try and pull them out...

Except his power connector the grounds aren't all long and the power isn't all short, that's what I am getting at. Here's a dead ssd I have that is exactly the same as his, doesn't seem to follow that idea. It should be 3 short, 3 long, 3 short, 3 long, 3 short like the pinout, his isn't, and mine isn't.

My point is that they are different lengths for a reason, and trying to make them all the same is futile...

My point is that they are different lengths for a reason, and trying to make them all the same is futile...

I think it's not so much about pulling them out to the point where they are all the same length. It's about the fact that in OP's pics you can clearly see those two pins are literally jammed in too far. I don't know what it is about those inner pins, but every time I've had a drive whose connector snapped off like this it's always been those two or three pins on the inside of the connector that get somehow shoved into their guide like that.

In any case, it's pretty much a screwed drive, but if OP can get everything glued together solid in there, at least he can continue to the use the drive and/or get data from it! :)

So I was able to pull those pins out a bit, and using a 2.5 usb enclosure I picked up for $10, I was able to salvage the data :D

Thanks for the help guys

Back