Help Building a New PC

Brose

n00b
Hello,

First off, sorry for the lame thread title, I accidentally hit enter before finishing the post. Is there a way to change it?

Either way, I need some help building a new PC. The last one I built was back in 2008 and suffice to say, it doesn't work much anymore. To give you an idea, here are its current specs:

Motherboard - Asus P5Q PRo
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
RAM - 2.00 GB
Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 4800 series
Power Supply - Corsair TX750w
Case - Cooler Master CM690
Hard Drives - Western Digital WD1200JB 00GVC0
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 00A7B0

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
The main use will be general browsing, watching online streams, streaming some movies and playing some videogames. The main games I would play are Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3 and probably Overwatch when it comes out. It seems that most of the games I would play are not graphically intensive. Usually, the more graphically demanding games would be played on my PS4. Of course, I would like to play these games comfortably at a high graphics setting.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I don't necessarily have a hard budget, but I would like to try to keep it below $1,000 if at all possible. Of course, I don't want to spend more if I don't have to.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Maryland
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I will be keeping my monitor, keyboard/mouse and case. Given my current build, I think it is safe to say that I will need everything else that actually goes into the pc.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Same as 4. I'll be more than happy to elaborate or answer any questions.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No. I don't know how to do it and I don't think I need to based on what I'm planning to use it for.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I have a 22" Dell U2412m and have been using it at 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I don't need to start immediately, but I do plan on building/buying before summer comes around. I can be patient and wait for something if I need to.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Not too sure what all of this means. Anything that I should want given my intended purpose?
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No, I don't. I can get a legit one from a relative pretty easily so we don't need to factor it in to this specific build/budget.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Changed your thread title for ya.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I don't need to start immediately, but I do plan on building/buying before summer comes around. I can be patient and wait for something if I need to.
You're planning too soon. Computer hardware pricing and availability can change in as little as week. Come back when you're 1-3 weeks away from buying the parts to start planning. That way you can get an up-to-date build list without spending too much time.

Changed your thread title for ya.

You're planning too soon. Computer hardware pricing and availability can change in as little as week. Come back when you're 1-3 weeks away from buying the parts to start planning. That way you can get an up-to-date build list without spending too much time.

Thanks for changing the title. I'm ready to and want to start building now. I just wanted to note that I could wait if something big/important was coming out soon. For example, I remember doing research a couple years ago and I was recommended to wait for Haswell tech to come out. Does that make sense?

Thanks for changing the title. I'm ready to and want to start building now. I just wanted to note that I could wait if something big/important was coming out soon. For example, I remember doing research a couple years ago and I was recommended to wait for Haswell tech to come out. Does that make sense?
Well, is your PC dead? If so, upgrade now.

If not, then it might be a good idea for you to wait for Intel's Skylake platform to be released later this year. You basically skip DDR3 RAM and going straight to DDR4 RAM. That gives you a bit more flexibility with RAM upgrades down the line.

Poor guy sounds like he's been playing the waiting game long enough lol

Personally, the waiting game has not once panned out for me....

Random question Dangman, since Skylake is going to a "tock" on Intel's "Tick-Tock model", that means "tock" represent the big change instead of a typical refresh right?? (not trying to thread-jack)

Poor guy sounds like he's been playing the waiting game long enough lol

Personally, the waiting game has not once panned out for me....
Very true: it could indeed backfire.

Man in the time he's had that PC, I've gone through two different PCs.
Random question Dangman, since Skylake is going to a "tock" on Intel's "Tick-Tock model", that means "tock" represent the big change instead of a typical refresh right?? (not trying to thread-jack)
Technically yes.

If I were you OP, I wouldn't wait.

With a budget of $1,000 I came up with this (since your reusing your case and already have plans to get an OS license through a relative) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.95 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($115.26 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.98 @ Directron)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($247.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $967.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 12:52 EDT-0400

Several of my choices here are subjective. (Power supply and Video card in particular). I'd wait for Dangman and a couple of the others to weigh in before making a decision.

Even if he was buying today, that wouldn't a good build to go with.

He's not overclocking so no reason to get the 4690K. He'll be fine with the Core i5-4590 CPU.

That RAM isn't a good choice considering that its tall heatsinks will interfere with the placement of the Hyper 212 Evo you selected. I recommend this RAM instead:
$110 - Crucial BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Not a huge fan of WD Green drives as they're rather slow for my tastes. I'd go with a Seagate 1TB at a minimum.

THat PSU is technically "good enough" but considering how long the OP kept his PSU, the fact that PSUs can degrade in output quality over time, and the pricing, I recommend these higher-end PSUs instead:
$85 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU
$119 - eVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 750W Modular PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for your inputs!

Unfortunately, the pc is actually so slow, it's to the point where I haven't turned it on in a long time. However, I've been easily getting by with my laptop for my general browsing and my ps4 for gaming. I just think it's about time to invest in a new desktop.

I know that the waiting game usually isn't the way to go, but my laptop has been suiting my general needs just fine. With that said, how worth it is the Skylake platform? Unfortunately, I am rather ignorant to what it is and what it entails. Keep in mind, if I know myself well enough, It'll be another long while before I upgrade this PC.

If you really need a system, then go ahead and buy the system now. While Skylake will be faster than the current Haswell platform and its DDR4 RAM should allow for greater RAM density, based on currently available information, it's not worth waiting for if you need a new system now.

It's more of a want than a need for building a new system at this time. However, after doing some research, it seems that Skylake won't make too much of a difference for what I am planning to use the desktop for.

After reviewing the thread I noticed that horrorshow may not be completely confident in his choice of video card. Is the one he chose a pretty solid choice or are there any other opinions/options (on the video card or any other component for that matter) I should consider before starting to make some purchases?

It's more of a want than a need for building a new system at this time. However, after doing some research, it seems that Skylake won't make too much of a difference for what I am planning to use the desktop for.

After reviewing the thread I noticed that horrorshow may not be completely confident in his choice of video card. Is the one he chose a pretty solid choice or are there any other opinions/options (on the video card or any other component for that matter) I should consider before starting to make some purchases?

Considering your budget, the card I chose is definitely your best bet.

The next step up would be an Nvidia 970, but those are an additional $100.

Here's a link to a good one just in case:
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ $349.99
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...8&qid=1429747987&sr=1-1&keywords=evga+970+ssc

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back