what could cause such blurry text at 2560x1600?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
My friend has a HP Z30i that can support 2560x1600 at 60Hz

the embedded video card is doing 1920x1200

So I first upgrade to an old Nvidia Quadrdo FX370, it supports 2560x1600 just fine, but the text is very blur

So I then switch to a Nvidia GeForece 8600GT, once again, it can do 2560x1600, but the text is blur, and when I open a small windows like the Advance setting tab under Display adapter, the text is unreadable.

So I then screen capture the text and saved in a PNG file as proof.

============

I now bring back those 2 video cards w/ the same DVI cable home, and test it on another PC and connect it to an slightly older HP ZR30W, which also can run 2560x1600

The video card can display 2560x1600, and the text is crystal sharp.

=======================

I then view those 2 capture text PNG file on my own PC, shockingly, the text is ALSO Crystal sharp, eventhough I can't see it at all on that HP Z30i

In other words, I CAN see the text very blur on the HP z30i, but when I bring the save PNG files of the Screen Capture Display back home, it shows just fine on another PC

Now, what is causing this? EDID?

Try changing the font scaling to something else and change it back in the control panel (or leave it that other setting if you prefer that setting), I've done this before to fix the issue you describe.

what about the default "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling", the default is CHECK ON, what should we do w/ that?

Some monitors dont look too hot if they are not at the native resolution.

and what is causing this in the 1st place? As it didn't happen to the other HP ZR30W, same video card and cable, but works fine w/ that older HP ZR30W

set 1280x800 on the integrated graphics. texto should be sharp.
for a video card with 2560x1600 capability, you will require a true dual link dvi cable. are you sure the cable is DL DVI?

I'm positive it's dual link, otherwise I would not have get 2560x1600

unless someone monkeying around w/ the fonts setting, there is no reason the font scaling is mess up. But I'll check

My friend has a HP Z30i that can support 2560x1600 at 60Hz

the embedded video card is doing 1920x1200

So I first upgrade to an old Nvidia Quadrdo FX370, it supports 2560x1600 just fine, but the text is very blur

So I then switch to a Nvidia GeForece 8600GT, once again, it can do 2560x1600, but the text is blur, and when I open a small windows like the Advance setting tab under Display adapter, the text is unreadable.

Does the text look like this?

yWUic7w.png

That would mean the monitor is only receiving one of the links in a dual-link signal. That can happen if you're using a single-link DVI cable, but you said the same cable and video cards work with the ZR30W, so the Z30i might be defective. This would not be an EDID issue.

that's exactly what it looks like. So it's not the font scaling after all then. I can't explain why.

But there is no sense to 2nd guess. I forgot to bring the official cable that c/w the HP box that day, I can try that cable and use yet another video card, and reset the font scaling. And see what happens.

with cable, some times, I have seen even the same cable work at 1 monitor, can fail in another monitor

ToastyX, thank you for this. This is a problem that I've never seen before

P.S. I just want to be clear, eventhough I CANNOT read the text, but when I Screen Capture and SAVE via MS Paint in a PNG file, if I were to view that PNG file on another PC, the text is crystal sharp if I were to view it on another PC. It is just that it doesn't show clear text in that PC

Last edited:
I fixed it. Turns out it's the cable. I can't explain it. The cable that was dual link DOES WORK on a HP ZR30. But that same cable does NOT work on the HP Z30i.

By using the HP Dual link cable, everything works

thanks everyone

I had a 1080p LCD that did exactly what you were describing. I fixed it by creating a custom resolution with different sync polarities.

Back