Pirate Bay Co-Founder Denied Nintendo Games In Prison

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is an outrage! A human rights violation! How can you deny Nintendo to people in prison? This is cruel and unusual punishment! :rolleyes:

Former Pirate Bay operator Fredrik Neij can't play games on his Nintendo 8-bit console in prison. The prison denied the request because there's no way to open the box to check it for concealed items, a decision the Pirate Bay operator is now appealing before the administrative court.

Ummmm...

It is super easy to open the carts and the console itself... Security bits are easy to get.. and barring that, you can modify a flat head screwdriver to work on security bits.

Either the prison staff are just complete idiots or they are just complete jerks.. or both.

Ummmm...

It is super easy to open the carts and the console itself... Security bits are easy to get.. and barring that, you can modify a flat head screwdriver to work on security bits.

Either the prison staff are just complete idiots or they are just complete jerks.. or both.

Or you could just say...i dont know....that hes in prison and doesn't deserve to play video games?

Maybe someone should just download copies of the roms, put them on a disk, and set him up with an emulator on a PC :)

It is so sad that convicted criminals have no access to entertainment while they serve their time ... if only we had something like a bound copy of papers with typewritten stories that a person could get and somehow read ... I have even heard rumors that there could be millions of these mythical things called books in some legendary place called ... what was the name again, OH YEAH, "A LIBRARY" :p

It is so sad that convicted criminals have no access to entertainment while they serve their time ... if only we had something like a bound copy of papers with typewritten stories that a person could get and somehow read ... I have even heard rumors that there could be millions of these mythical things called books in some legendary place called ... what was the name again, OH YEAH, "A LIBRARY" :p
HERESY!!!
Burn the witch, burn it!!!

I call bs, I gave a speech in college and opened the NES system as a demonstration on how to repair it. There are dozens of free youtube videos to do the same.

first you have to use a phillips screw driver, maybe they dont have one in prison.

Or you could just say...i dont know....that hes in prison and doesn't deserve to play video games?

One could also say... I don't know... that he's in prison so he should be fed nothing but bread and water? And sleep on the floor? Hell, not even that, just chain both his arms to the wall and be done with it.

Fuck rehabilitating them, let's just focus on punishing them! Even the innocent ones! And the ones who've done small, insignificant, victimless crimes, let's punish those even harder than actual (violent) criminals because, REASONS!!

Fuck rehabilitating them, let's just focus on punishing them! Even the innocent ones! And the ones who've done small, insignificant, victimless crimes, let's punish those even harder than actual (violent) criminals because, REASONS!!
Is this a joke? What "rehabilitating" does he need? Its not like he needs to go to counseling for anger management issues or something. He's a normal person of right mind that simply decided that the reward for breaking the law was greater than the repercussions.

Demonstrating that the repercussions are in fact greater than the reward is how you teach someone not to do something.

If every time I yelled "PENIS!" in the classroom, my teacher took me out of class and gave me a handjob, chances are pretty good the mere fact I wasn't in class anymore and set aside wouldn't have had much of an effect on my behavior, because that time away was great. If instead, the teacher walked over and smacked me really hard on the back of the head and made me wear a dunce cap and encouraged all my classmates to call me a loser and mock me, I probably wouldn't ever yell "PENIS!" again.

Hell, if I could go to a Norweigan prison where I get free food, free healthcare, free gym membership, free guitar lessons, free horseback riding sessions, and my only responsibilities are to play video games all day until I'm sleepy, shit, I'd break the law on purpose!

Cliffs Notes: The PUNISHMENT is the corrective influence, and if its not a punishment, then no behavioral change is made.

Yeah, prison in Sweden is VERY different than in the U.S.

here is a typical high security prison cell used for the most dangerous violent criminals.

DSC_4940.jpg

Prisoners get their own cells. They have access to kitchens and separate bathrooms.

Prisoners manage their own daily lives. They are assembled into small communities. They get a budget of 44 swedish crowns (~$5) per person per day for the community to budget for their needs. They share tasks like cooking and cleaning.

Of course, they only get plastic utensils in the kitchen and the only sharp knife is locked to the wall, and has had its tip removed:

DSC_4920.jpg

They have access to a community room where they can watch TV and play card and board games. Computers and internet are - however - not permitted.

There are art programs for the prisoners and decent libraries.

Walls painted by prisoners as part of the art programs:
DSC_4845.jpg

Prison Library:
DSC_5079.jpg

It looks a little bit like existing in an IKEA hell, but not too bad by American standards :p

If anyone is curious the article I snagged this from is located here. It is in Swedish. Google translate doesn't mangle it THAT badly. Here is the translated link.

Ummmm...

Or you could just not doing anything illegal, not go to jail, and then play all of the video games you want. You know this is jail, right? It's supposed to suck.

Zarathustra[H];1041553189 said:
Yeah, prison in Sweden is VERY different than in the U.S.

here is a typical high security prison cell used for the most dangerous violent criminals.

DSC_4940.jpg

For what it is worth, this room looks nicer than my Umass dorm room was, and I had to share that with a roommate :p

Or you could just not doing anything illegal, not go to jail, and then play all of the video games you want. You know this is jail, right? It's supposed to suck.

How do you live that you get to play video games all day and not go to work?

Yeah, because he's totally a violent offender.

So instead of him costing the media industries money, now he just costs taxpayer money.

I think they should just make him have to work a lemonade stand for the rest of his life but people are allowed to walk over and steal his lemonade.

How do you live that you get to play video games all day and not go to work?
Well, supposedly the trick is to vote for Obama and have six kids (only human ones though; I tried to sign my cat up for welfare, but they said he didn't qualify even though I explained he's lazy, unemployed, and doesn't know who his dad is which I thought was all it takes). But honestly, considering all the taxes you pay, the least they could do is send you a picture of the family you're supporting to stick on your fridge, like they do for those African charity organizations. :D

lol physical media. Can't he just torrent all the games he wants... oh yeah. :D

Zarathustra[H];1041553218 said:
For what it is worth, this room looks nicer than my Umass dorm room was, and I had to share that with a roommate :p

Yeah, my thought was it's better then most dorms I've seen, and much better than the rooms in many military barracks

Yes! He should be in the yard pumping iron, learning new tricks of the trade, and networking for the future of his career.

Normally, I'd say it's prison, they shouldn't be able to do a lot of things they are allowed to. But it seems like everyone else gets to do a lot more than you'd think, so I don't see why these guys should get any less.

Prison is stupid as it is.... Some of them are damn luxurious.

Heck, if not for the lack of a computer an internet access, and for the whole having to share a small room with a ruffian and sleep in the same room as your toilet, prison doesn't seem half bad to me :p

So instead of him costing the media industries money, now he just costs taxpayer money.

I think they should just make him have to work a lemonade stand for the rest of his life but people are allowed to walk over and steal his lemonade.

Sure, so long as by "stealing", you mean they get an exact copy of the lemonade by some other means than through his stand, and don't actually make him lose any stock himself.

Better yet, perhaps force him to work on open-source software that everyone can use without any payment or licensing, as that seems closer to the "eye for an eye" everyone seems to want. But then again, maybe he'd actually like that...

You realise he's NOT in the USA, and different countries have different laws about what is, and isn't allowed. It may well be that certain consoles are allowed, but the nintendo being an 'odd ball' (not Sony/MS) is considered 'unfamiliar' to the security people

Sure, so long as by "stealing", you mean they get an exact copy of the lemonade by some other means than through his stand, and don't actually make him lose any stock himself.

Better yet, perhaps force him to work on open-source software that everyone can use without any payment or licensing, as that seems closer to the "eye for an eye" everyone seems to want. But then again, maybe he'd actually like that...
I'm not saying I agree with the sentence, I'm just saying that prison is supposed to be a punishment.

If prison involved an all expense paid trip to a resort island on Hawaii with an open bar staffed with fully nude and waxed barely legal models where you spend your days responsibility free playing your favorite viddy games when not surfing or lounging with your toes buried in the sand or getting heavy oil massages from the staff, then what the hell did you learn and what deterrent value does that provide? The whole idea is to instill the concept that if you do good things, you get rewarded, and if you do bad things, you get punished. Its a simple concept that even works on dogs. Again, that's not to say TORTURE, but withholding Nintendo games isn't exactly torture.

The whole idea is to instill the concept that if you do good things, you get rewarded, and if you do bad things, you get punished. Its a simple concept that even works on dogs. Again, that's not to say TORTURE, but withholding Nintendo games isn't exactly torture.

I think you're on to something, they should make him play games on a Wii-U instead! Oh wait... I forgot, torture isn't allowed. :(

Sweden is quite different from most countries. While many countries suffer from overpopulated prisons, here we close them down because of lack of inmates. There is enough room for everyone to get their own rooms.

Sweden is quite different from most countries. While many countries suffer from overpopulated prisons, here we close them down because of lack of inmates. There is enough room for everyone to get their own rooms.

That's not what the article I posted above says:

Dag Öhrlund said:
Platsbristen är ett stort problem för kriminalvården. Häkten och anstalter är överfulla, 6 500 människor sitter intagna och analyser visar att de kommer att bli många fler under de kommande åren. Vi är inte längre värst i Norden men vi närmar oss en europeisk
genomsnittsnivå, om man räknar antalet intagna per hundratusen invånare. I länder som England, Skottland och USA har man löst problemet genom att hyra
plats i privata fängelser.

Now granted, this article is a few years old now, so maybe things have improved since then.

While nowhere near U.S. levels of prison overpopulation, Sweden used to be the worst in Scandinavia (which is very small by U.S. standards)

I think people miss the point. It's that they are unable to open it freely and easily to check for concealed items on a regular basis. Ofc you can open it.

Fair point lol.

I'm not saying I agree with the sentence, I'm just saying that prison is supposed to be a punishment.

Only in the US (and a few 3rd world countries) is prison "supposed" to be punishment.

Everywhere else in the world, prison is "supposed" to be reformation

What's more important, punishing someone for their crime (while doing very little to reform them), or turning them into a productive member of society?

Right now, US prisons are where petty criminals go in order to learn how to become master criminals. We should teach them how to be master citizens instead.

Punishment alone might work for a misbehaving dog, but misbehaving humans need more than that.

I think people miss the point. It's that they are unable to open it freely and easily to check for concealed items on a regular basis. Ofc you can open it.

Couldn't they just leave the screws out of it, and tape it back together?

Back