Twitter, YouTube, Instagram Work On Stealth Advertising

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you feel about companies like Twitter, Instagram and YouTube using stealth advertising?

The quandary for those who run social media networks is how to make money on them without antagonising and thus losing users through distracting ads. The answer, for Twitter, YouTube and Instagram, is to slip in some stealthy ads camouflaged to look like posts from listed contacts.

I was on a web forum (not unlike [H]ardForum) once when a spam bot started posting relevant, helpful information & answering people's questions. Mission accomplished, I say.

They can do as they wish. I have no part of them, and don't see that changing any time soon.

I noticed that about Twitter. It's like walking through a dog park. Be careful where you step.

I personally don't mind, as long as it's ovious that it's an ad. So you can tell it's a sponsored comment/post/etc but if they did that, is it stealth?

If you cannot tell what is a true response and what is an ad, that's some very shady workings, I'd go so far as to say that it would have to be made illegal, as the potential (and likely) abuse would be dramatic.

Back