CBS All Access Comes to Roku

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
CBS standalone subscription streaming service is available right now on Roku and in 14 major TV markets across the US, live streaming programming, local news and sporting events will be available.

CBS is just one of many networks now adding pay-per-month standalone subscriptions that don’t require an all-in subscription to a traditional linear TV service. It’s a strategy that is sure to continue as consumers opt for a la carte versus all-you-can-eat.

ahh. remember when the broadcast networks had things worth watching..

ahh. remember when the broadcast networks had things worth watching..

They still do, though CBS is slowly losing steam (for me). I think I watch 4 shows, and Big Bang Theory once had good writing (with characters that reminded me of people in college), but now for every decent (not great) episode there's at least one with barely a laugh.

OTOH, Good Wife is remarkably well written. Last summer's Extant was good too.
NBC has Hannibal (assuming it's coming back). American Crime is good and Marvel has a few good shows too.

All that said, I don't get this paying CBS $10.00 to watch shows with commercials. Might as well just buy a DVR. Even if you pay $15.00/month for the Tivo guide, it's still better than $10.00 for CBS (and video quality from an aerial is better too).

I think those hoping for ala carte to be less expensive are in for a rude surprise.

I think those hoping for ala carte to be less expensive are in for a rude surprise.

I've said many times, "You'll pay more to get less."

Ala Carte makes sense if you get your network tube OTA. If you're paying to stream it, you're hosed. Honestly, it'd probably make more sense to get a slingbox to stream (and if you need to stream recorded stuff, you'll just use your DVR). You'll get the Masters and other live sports too.

Back