Comcast Customer Service Survey Results Aren't Pretty

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess now we all know why Comcast didn't want anyone to see the results of this survey. :eek:

• 64% of Comcast customers in Philly had to call customer service in the last year. Nearly 1/3 of those calls were related to billing issues.
  • 15% of Philly residents who called Comcast customer service reported getting a busy signal. That’s five times the level specified by the FCC and Philadelphia’s Franchise Customer Service Standards requirements.
  • 61% of callers said their call had not been answered within 30 seconds; more than six time the FCC and city franchise standards.
  • Of the 1,759 residents who provided additional written comments on their surveys, 99% of the responses were unfavorable.

Will this change anything? No. Will anyone do anything with this information? no

so at the end of the day we learn nothing that we didn't already know and change nothing. Yet I bet this survey cost the tax payers at least $5 million to be done.

I am running triple play which as been pretty good, well almost. I bought my own modem and it is running on the 105 connection. In reality I get 125 down and 11 up.. The phone is clear and connects all the time. Cheaper than AT&T. The problem is that Comcast sold my number to a telemarketer database. I was getting 7 to 10 calls a day. So I bought this little box that hooks to the phone and it blocks calls with a push of the button. Hold 2k numbers in memory.

TV, I only watch a few of the 200 channels and I have had problems with the DVD having to be reset. Unplug the power. Their service center is a few miles from the house so I have swapped the DVR twice but it still happened. I went in a few weeks ago and the girl I talked to at the service center was super nice. She said she would have a tech out in the morning between 8 and 10. The guy showed up at 9:00 and took a look.

A few years ago the city cut down a tree in front of the house. They subcontracted a company to grind the stump. In the process they cut the 220V to the house, the phone lines and the cable TV lines. The point of this is that Comcast came out and pulled new RG6 to the house. So the tech checked the input and of course it was flawless. Said it does not get any better than this. I don't know what he did, if any thing out in the street, but I have not had any problem since the visit.

So, I can not bad mouth Comcast, their service has been pretty good, their employees have been very cordial. They have not changed my name to "Dick Head" on my bill but I do know that when this contract expires it might not be pretty. Old Rover will try drive it home. I'll know in about 4 months.

Re the line cut: When the guy hit the 220 it was awesome. Big friggen explosion, flame and smoke. The guy turned white as a sheet.

So some of this stuff exceeds the FCC standards,eh? Just WTF is the FCC doing about it? Apparently, nothing. Ever wonder what in the hell the taxpayers are paying for? Yeah, so do the rest of us.

"61% of callers said their call had not been answered within 30 seconds; more than six time the FCC and city franchise standards."

30 seconds for an answer is considered a long time according to the FCC? That's the length of an average commercial.

the FCC or any other 3 letter agency can say anything about Comcast. Comcast could start performing live streamed abortions on Sunday morning TV on all channels, and nobody would do anything. lobbying and politics being what they are, its pretty clear they're above the whole "free market economics" thing or else they'd have been out of business a long time ago. cable providers in this country are founded on oligopolies and lobbying campaigns, not customer service or supply/demand.

I guess now we all know why Comcast didn't want anyone to see the results of this survey. :eek:

When I called to cancel my service, Comcast's IVR would hang up on me if I selected cancel service. After trying for 2 days, I finally just said I was moving. Suddenly I got a person who then transferred me to the right person.

On the positive side, when I returned my video equipment earlier that month, they refunded the cost of video for 2 months (I'd never used the box). The cancelling part was a PITA, but the local rep that I returned the box to was great, so I consider it a wash. I'll add that while Time Warner has no Cap, it's quite a bit more than Comcast for roughly the same service (technically the upload from TW is slower (by about 3-7 Mb/s), but the download is possibly a few Mb/s faster. I would have opted for a lower service, but it degraded up and down speed.

Finally, TW tried to get me to have someone come out and check my wiring for $35.00. It took a few minutes of balking before they finally relented.

All I had to do was read "this is a telephone survey" and that was enough for me...;) Wonder how many people Comcast hires in Philly, and how much in the way of local business & tax revenue the company generates for the area. Of course, since "Consumerist" is mainly interested in promoting itself via sensationalist, negative Comcast reporting, I'm sure they would not be interested in such meaningless drivel...;)

"61% of callers said their call had not been answered within 30 seconds; more than six time the FCC and city franchise standards."

30 seconds for an answer is considered a long time according to the FCC? That's the length of an average commercial.

I'm curious about this as well, are we talking 30 seconds till automated selection menu? 30 seconds till you talk to a live person if you select the option? Does visibility of option count or is it ok to spend 5 minutes looking for the option if it's 10 seconds afterwards? Kinda vague.

The 99 percent dissatisfaction rate is quite damning any way you cut it though... if Comcast wasn't a regional monopoly of course.

I honestly have little complaint about their internet service. I can't even remember specifically an outage or breakage in a long while.

But if you have to call oh boy good luck and have fun.

I just dislike only having one honestly broadband option...

My problem with Comcast is they slip extra fees all the time and it's a nightmare to get a credit on my account when things go wrong... I'd have to call multiple times and watch the bills like a hawk for a few months, calculator on hand, to sort it out, not worth the trouble usually, and I guess that's why they do it. Shady company, very 90s AOL.

That and their overpriced plans of course... and charging a "downgrade fee" when I call to drop service after a promotion.

Honest question because I haven't been following recently and someone just told me last week...is the TWC/Comcast merger going to go through now? I thought it had already been blocked...

Back